A hypothetical port for mobile

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

A hypothetical port for mobile

Post by giftheck »

Hypothetically speaking, do you guys think Android and iOS could handle Star Wars Battlefront as a mobile game? This is a question that assumes that if they wanted to, LucasArts would have access to the source code of the game and would probably give it to a third party (like they gave the PSP port of BF2 to Savage Entertainment). I'm just thinking that if games like "Grand Theft Auto III" can be ported, then surely this game could be.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Re: A hypothetical port for mobile

Post by MileHighGuy »

They can for sure put it on mobile. they had bf2 on psp and it didn't get downgraded that much. They could put it on mobile today with no downgrade. I doubt they will though.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

ggctuk wrote:Hypothetically speaking, do you guys think Android and iOS could handle Star Wars Battlefront as a mobile game? This is a question that assumes that if they wanted to, LucasArts would have access to the source code of the game and would probably give it to a third party (like they gave the PSP port of BF2 to Savage Entertainment). I'm just thinking that if games like "Grand Theft Auto III" can be ported, then surely this game could be.
They could totally run either of the Battlefront games on newer iOS or Android devices. But even though the remnants of LucasArts would have a copy of the source code and owns all rights to the assets for the games there's still the issue that ownership of the engine falls to whoever owned it when Pandemic was dissolved. It's possible ownership went to EA, but it's also possible that Pandemic kept ownership of the engine when they were bought by EA (unlikely). Luckily if EA has rights to the engine it could totally get a mobile port -- EA is all things Star Wars now.

Now how we convince EA to take the mobile plunge, that's another story.
tirpider
Lance Corporal

Post by tirpider »

EA? ew.
EA + Old IP = Reboot + Free To Play.

It may be possible, but seems unpalatable.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

The trouble I see is that it would be quite difficult to get enough support on our end to persuade LucasArts/EA to do an Android/iOS port. Not that there wouldn't be support, just that the community has thinned somewhat in recent years.

We should also consider that an Android/iOS port would probably not support the mod tools as well.