Star Wars Battlefront: Expansion - Release and Discussion

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Star Wars Battlefront: Expansion - Release and Discussion

Post by giftheck »

STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT EXPANSION

Formerly known as the Star Wars: Battlefront Main Play Mod, I have decided to give the mod a new name with a few changes that will differentiate it with its prior incarnation. Keep an eye out for news of this as I continue to rejuvinate the mod.

=======
BATTLEFRONT MAIN PLAY MOD (Old Info)

=======
This mod is only for Star Wars: Battlefront, by LucasArts and Pandemic Studios. It is NOT a mod for its sequel, and will not work with it.

The Main Play Mod is an effort to improve the gameplay of Star Wars: Battlefront through the addition of new units, new weapons and new 'modes'. It was made as a way of allowing Battlefront players to experience some of Battlefront II's units without having to buy Battlefront II. It was also made for the Battlefront players who own a Mac who, therefore, cannot play Battlefront II as it was not released for Mac.

Current version: VERSION 4.1 REVISED

Download:

=======
VERSION 6
=======

Filefront: http://files.filefront.com/Main+Play+Mo ... einfo.html
SWBF Files: http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... _Mod;99308

=======
VERSION 5
=======

MU: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XC3XSJGI
Hero Assault fix (left out of main DL): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S72I351C
Hero Assault: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HJN01NTY
Hunt: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XDOVMZP3

========
BUG FIXES
========

Fix version 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G8H0YWR1

PLEASE READ THE README!

List of fixes:
Hidden/Spoiler:
BATTLEFRONT MAIN PLAY MODIFICATION (5.0 FINAL) FIX RELEASE

This will work ONLY IF you downloaded Main Play Mod 5.

by ggctuk (ggctuk@yahoo.co.uk)

VERY IMPORTANT - BACK UP ALL IMPORTANT FILES FIRST! FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY OR IT WILL NOT WORK!

STILL-EXISTENT BUGS

-Cody and the AT-RT Pilot have their "bone-root" appearing underneath them (the little black things that appear beneath their feet). No known cause, so no fix, I'm open to suggestions on this one. If somebody could alter it I would be grateful.

Please feel free to e-mail me, or PM my GameToast account, if you find other bugs I didn't notice.

FIXED BUGS

-Localization is now completed.
-The CIS Strike Bomber's range for its main gun has been fixed.
-The Tri-Fighter's overheat threshold has been increased.
-A terrain collision bug causing the map to crash when riding the AT-RT has been fixed.
-The AT-RT can now fire "outside its limits" (notice before that you stopped firing if you turned too far)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Extract all files.

Copy these files into "Data/_LVL_PC".

THIS MOD IS NOT MADE, NOR IS IT ENDORSED BY, LUCASARTS OR PANDEMIC STUDIOS, AND IS MADE FOR FUN, NOT FOR PROFIT. IF YOU HAVE PAID TO PLAY THIS, ASK FOR YOUR MONEY BACK IMMEDIATELY.

=======
THINGS TO DO
=======

Kamas added to the Clone Units and skirts/robes to the Jedi.

=======
README
=======

Hidden/Spoiler:
BATTLEFRONT MAIN PLAY MODIFICATION (5.0 FINAL)

by ggctuk (ggctuk@yahoo.co.uk)

VERY IMPORTANT - BACK UP ALL IMPORTANT FILES FIRST! FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY OR IT WILL NOT WORK!

CHANGES - VERSION 6

I know, I said I would not release any more. I lied, but only in retrospect. I found a number of oddities which I needed to address, so i thought why not add some more to this pack before calling it a day.

I have kept the addon fixes from earlier versions, in case you are new to this mod, however, I have NOT included the BF2->BF1 Map conversions by Scum/Strike in this mod.

I have also switched the ordering of some weapons, specifically for the pilots and Heavy Troopers. I've also changed the skins of both the Heavy Trooper (Geonosis Republic unit now wears green markings) and Jet Trooper (now wears blue markings, as in the trailers). There are some new skins as well.

UNIT VARIATIONS

Republic:
-Shock Troopers (Bespin, Coruscant)
-Phase I Troopers (Geonosis (W/Clone Commander), Yavin IV Temple (W/Jet Trooper), Jabba's Palace)
-ARC Troopers (Kamino, Yavin IV Arena)
-501st Legion (Naboo)
-212th Attack Battallion (Tatooine)
-41st Elite (Kashyyyk)

CIS:
-B1 Droids (Campaign only - Kashyyyk and Naboo)
-Darker Battledroids (As in AotC) (Geonosis)
-Camoflague Sniper (Kashyyyk)
-Snow Camoflague (Rhen Var)

Empire:
-Shadow Troopers (Bespin, Coruscant)
-501st Legion Troopers (Kashyyyk)
-Prototype Troopers (Naboo)
-Sand Troopers (Tatooine)
-Snowtroopers (Hoth, Rhen Var)

The Empire alternates between Dark Troopers, Officers and Skytroopers.

Rebels:
-Camoflague (Endor)
-Katarn Armour for the Vanguard (Kashyyyk)
-Desert gear (Tatooine)
-Snow Gear (Rhen Var, Hoth)
-Naboo Guard (Naboo)

The Rebellion alternates between Wookies and Bothan Spies.

I have taken the liberty of updating some units. The Heavy Units have all had their first and second weapons switched to make them stand out a bit better in their differences (IE the first weapon of the Incinerator Trooper is now the Flamethrower, Missile Launcher is second etc). The number of Incinerators has been increased and the lifetime of the flames has been decreased.

STARFIGHTER LAYOUTS

I have redone the health of many starfighters, and added a few more fighters. Hence why Bespin Platforms is included - it's got many new (to BF1) ships.

List of Interceptors:

-A-Wing (Rebels)
-TIE Interceptor (Empire)
-Jedi Starfighter (Republic)
-Tri-Fighter (CIS)

NOTE: Interceptors have no missiles, and their shots are useless at impacting on ground troopers (unless you're a hell of a shot). They do steady damage to fighters, so use them only for dogfights!

List of Fighters:

-X-Wing (Rebels)
-TIE Fighter (Empire)
-ARC-170 (No Three Seats) (Republic)
-Vulture Droid Fighter (CIS)

NOTE: Unlike Interceptors, Fighters CAN attack ground forces. They can also battle with other ships, and their missiles are beter at bringing down the large transports.

List of Bombers:

-Y-Wing (Rebels)
-TIE Bomber (Empire)
-V-Wing (Republic)
-CIS Strike Bomber (CIS)

NOTE: Bombers can easily clear CPs, especially on Bespin Platforms. They are not so useful for Dogfights but are armed to protect themselves regardless. The TIE Bomber and Y-Wing are virtually unaltered since I thought the layout works best, but the 1-pilot V-Wing and CIS Strike Bombers are closer to their BF2 Counterparts.

List of Transports:

-Rebel LAAT/i Gunship (Rebels)
-Imperial Landing Craft (Empire)
-LAAT/i Gunship (Republic)
-Droid Gunship (CIS, instead of MAF)

NOTE: Transports are heavily armed but slower than standard craft, making them susceptible to turret and Fighter attacks. Load them up with troopers and use Transports to land in enemy territory. The odd one out of these is the Imperial Shuttle which flies instead of simply hovering like the Gunships (the shuttle has no hover engines). They're also not as highly durable as BF2's transports - we don't wish to make it too easy, but they are tough to bring down (the AT-TE and AT-AT are tougher still)

And before asking, I used the abandoned BF1 shuttle for the Imperials, rather than the Theta-Class Shuttle used in BF2.

BUGS AND QUIRKS

-Cody and the AT-RT pilot have their "bone-root" appearing underneath them (the little black things that appear beneath their feet). No known cause, so no fix, I'm open to suggestions on this one. If somebody could alter it I would be grateful.
-Localization on the addon maps, except for heroes, is not the same as the main mod. If you are running custom maps which use the stock sides, new weapons will not be named.

Please feel free to e-mail me, or PM my GameToast account, if you find other bugs I didn't notice.

FIXED BUGS

-Completed Localization
-Fixed the CIS Strike Bomber's range
-Fixed many vehicles to allow for "firing outside range"
-Fixed strafing run error left in last version on Jedi Fighters and Tri-Droid Fighters
-Lowered the health of transports from 15000 to 7000.

FAQ

Q. Why can I see the flames bounce off surfaces?
A. The flamethrower is not fully supported in BF1 - the emitter itself works but it does not actually set enemies on fire. So I have emulated it using a modified Grenade Launcher (thanks to Napseeker for the hints to get it working).

Q. Why is Yoda like that (lol, long legs and stretched neck - Mr. Stretch!)?
A. Yoda's skeleton is the same as the Ewoks. I tried to get the BF2 Yoda skeleton over but it crashed the game.

Q. Why no Grievous' Dual Lightsabers/Darth Maul's Doublesaber?
A. Lightsaber support is very, very limited in BF1. Napseeker did an emulation of one using a charging laser but I didn't think that would look good in this mod.

Q. bess.lvl and nab2m.lvl? What are these?
A. These are files needed if you're running the edited Bespin, Naboo and Yavin IV maps. They contain pointers to the sounds the vehicles use (For instance, I set up the AT-RT using the AT-ST foot sounds and Combat Speeder turret sounds, while the Landing Craft uses Gunship sounds). Without them, the vehicles have no sound.

Q. Why are the sides so big?
A. Legions and unit variations cost a lot in space. I wanted this to be more than an attempt at getting BF2 stuff into BF1.

CREDITS:

Credits go to:

-Maveritchell and psych0Fred for helping me to figure out sound.
-Pandemic for the Mod Tools, and LucasArts for the game.
-Pandemic and LucasArts again for the assets from the BF1 and BF2 Mod Tools.
-Everyone I asked for help to get this done (curse you Boba Fett for not working for so long!)
-I read through the credits of the Conversion Pack for BF2, and yet I found nothing on who made the Republic skins. So, whoever made them, thanks to you too.
-ARC_Commander for the BFX assets
-Darth D.U.C.K. for the Royal/Shadow Guard
-Taivyx for force pike
-Napseeker for the new General Grievous (he works fine for me!), and the help making the Flamethrower.
-Commander Fordo for some clone skins
-Satti for shadow stormtrooper skin (modified by me)
-Dragon93 for Shadow Trooper, and tutorial on Clone trooper skins
-AceMastermind for OOM droids
-RepSharpshooter for the 501st skin
-Qdin for Commander Cody
-OOM-9 for the DC-15 carbine
-Pandemic for the BF1 and BF2 assets
-Majin Revan for Clone Commando
-NeoMarz for DC-17m
-RebelScum and imp_strikeforce for Utapau, Mustafar and Mygeeto BF2 to BF1 map conversion.
-BattleBelk for Interface Tool, "mission.lvl" and "core.lvl" tools
-AQT for the 501st Legion Stormtrooper skin (modified by me to better resemble the TFU 501st)
-Rends for Coruscant Streets and Coruscant City.

If I've left anyone out, please let me know.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Extract all files.

Backup the original SIDE, Common, BES, NAB and YAV folders, plus core.lvl and mission.lvl.

Copy "Data" into your "Star Wars BattleFront/GameData" folder.

IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO REPLACE BESPIN: PLATFORMS, NABOO: THEED AND YAVIN IV: ARENA THEN DELETE THESE FILES FROM THE PACKAGE'S _LVL_PC FOLDER BEFORE INSTALLING.

The contents of "Addon" contain fixes for "Hero Assault" and "Hunt" modes, as well as containing new scripts for Scum/Strike's "Mustafar" and "Utapau" maps, and Rends Coruscant Streets and City maps. While I have included the scum/strike maps, I have not included the Hero Assault or Hunt maps, nor have I included Rends Coruscant Streets and Coruscant City. You will have to get these first before applying these patches.

There are also two new mods - "Rogue Clones" and "Order 66".

COMING SOON...

The release of assets. HURRAH!

LEGAL

THIS MOD IS NOT MADE, NOR IS IT ENDORSED BY, LUCASARTS OR PANDEMIC STUDIOS, AND IS MADE FOR FUN, NOT FOR PROFIT. IF YOU HAVE PAID TO PLAY THIS, ASK FOR YOUR MONEY BACK IMMEDIATELY.

THE CORUSCANT STREETS AND CORUSCANT CITY SCRIPT ARE SELF-REMADE AND NOT ENDORSED BY RENDS. THEY ARE SIMPLY FOR FUN.
=======
SCREENSHOTS
=======

Some of these are old, but I decided to move the screens from otehr posts in the thread.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Here's some screenshots from the second version of the mod:

Hero Mode beta (not included in the beta)

It's not as graceful as BF2's, but it's something.

Hunt Mode beta

Hidden/Spoiler:
"Katarn" Trooper:

Katarn and 501st Legion Prototype Stormtrooper:

Vader Model from BF2:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Last edited by giftheck on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 21 times in total.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Re: Editing Battlefront I Main Game

Post by ANDEWEGET »

1. you have to use a hex editor
2. explain a bit more
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

I have the mission LUAs from Battlefront I, I want to edit them and munge them so the changes work in the main game. If possible, I want the new units I am adding to the MAIN GAME to have localizations.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

1. search in the all things swbf 1 for battlebelks mission.lvl tool
2. i only know how to do this for addon
BattleBelk
Private First Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by BattleBelk »

giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Thanks for the tool.

Perhaps a localization merge tool could be created for BF1 and 2... (Although BF2 might not need it since all assets used in the original game are present, where BF1's are NOT :eek: )
or an extraction tool which takes all REQs, LUAs and images out of the core.lvl... we have the rough ide of the process of munging, perhaps it could be reversed?

In any case, I have no actual programming skills, so I cannot try this myself.

EDIT1
Version 1 of the Main Play Mod is being uploaded now to SWBFFiles!

EDIT2
Sadly it was left too long and got rejected :(

Apparently, not enough people mod it nowadays, which is understandable. But I feel Battlefront is the original, not that far behind BF2.

Surprisingly enough I was still making modifications to it, incluidng almost-unique music for each map in the clone Wars era. I also began to import the Wampas.
Last edited by giftheck on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

ggctuk wrote:Sadly it was left too long and got rejected :(
It didn't get rejected - I just had to upload a second copy of the file and reject the first. That's how it works whenever the staff has to reupload a file. Your file can be found here:
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... _Mod;97623

Edit: If you have any screenshots you're particular to, please send them to me or let me know. I don't have SWBF1 so I had to make do with screenshots from an earlier mod of yours (which I believe had similar content). I can upload them to the file if you send them.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, my browser needed clearing of internet history before the file was shown.

Those music files have been changed around a little, and I fixed the problems with Hoth. Opening the mission files, I found that it looked for the Imperial Probe Droid, which was never created for BF1. I removed all references to that local side, so it works beautifully now.

I also did hijack and replace the Gree skin that was released in the Conversion Pack assets file, for the 41st Legion. I'll give credit for that skin (no readme? Who do I thank for the skin?).

Then there's the problem of Yoda, who keeps on stretching to normal-unit size instead of the size Yoda is supposed to be. He won't even have the Ewok skeleton.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

you could add some new targets and change the huds etc, all with belks common tool
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

I'll look into that. Is there a link?
BattleBelk
Private First Class

Post by BattleBelk »

Tool for build common.lvl:

http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... =1&t=15750

localize better with hexedit core.lvl couse localisation files in mod tool isnt full same as in original game

And there is also problem with side couse they dosent count 1.2 patch changes. I have fixed imperial side (added missing MSHs, ODF and edited ODF for 1.2 patch changes) so after munge it will almost same imp.lvl as in shipped game so you won't have crash with imp_probe_droid missing

http://files.filefront.com/IMP+side+bui ... einfo.html
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

id love to make some objects for your map(s)
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

BattleBelk wrote:Tool for build common.lvl:

http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... =1&t=15750

localize better with hexedit core.lvl couse localisation files in mod tool isnt full same as in original game

And there is also problem with side couse they dosent count 1.2 patch changes. I have fixed imperial side (added missing MSHs, ODF and edited ODF for 1.2 patch changes) so after munge it will almost same imp.lvl as in shipped game so you won't have crash with imp_probe_droid missing

http://files.filefront.com/IMP+side+bui ... einfo.html
Might make some cosmetic changes, but the Hoth bug is fixed now, I edited out the imp_probe_droid line from the LUA.
ANDEWEGET wrote:id love to make some objects for your map(s)
Thanks. I wanted to make TFU-based maps for this next mod. For Raxus Prime, some of the stuff is easy (just edit existing models and bury them) but there are quite a few things that need to be done.

So here's what maps I want to do:

Kashyyyk: Invasion (the first level of TFU - I might need a Kento Malek model, most of this is already shipped with BF1 and 2)
Nar Shadaa: Shipyard
Raxus Prime: Junk Temple
Felucia: Village (Again, with either BF1 or 2, although I might need a custom sarlacc)
Empirical: Lab
Kashyyyk: Skyhook (Aside from the Skyhook, most of this is coming from the shipped stuff)
Felucia: Graveyard (Shipped!)
Raxus Prime: Ore Cannon
Death Star: Construction (Mostly shipped)
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

pm me the list of models, maybe would be good with description for each(texture and model characteristics, size)
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Tean released some raxus prime models and rodian models
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Yeah, I downloaded them. They might make good "Drexl's Raiders".
BattleBelk
Private First Class

Post by BattleBelk »

ggctuk wrote:Might make some cosmetic changes, but the Hoth bug is fixed now, I edited out the imp_probe_droid line from the LUA.
Actually this work only with mission lua edit but if you want create just a skin for imperial side wich will work on hoth you still need imp_probe_droid couse it is exist in original imp.lvl but didnt used on map and missing in mod tool
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

ya i hope you put kleef in there,i might make a skin for him
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

BattleBelk wrote:
ggctuk wrote:Might make some cosmetic changes, but the Hoth bug is fixed now, I edited out the imp_probe_droid line from the LUA.
Actually this work only with mission lua edit but if you want create just a skin for imperial side wich will work on hoth you still need imp_probe_droid couse it is exist in original imp.lvl but didnt used on map and missing in mod tool
The mod has unique troopers for some maps, for instance, Dark Trooper is still available on some maps, while Imperial officer is on others. I figured I might as well remove that script line while I was at it.

There was some sort of crash with the Jabba's Palace Addon. I have no idea to the cause, and I haven't fixed it, so I will not make a new LUA for it. There is an upside - it reflects the Clone Wars movie, which had Phase I clones.

As for Kleef... he was only available in a PS2/Wii exclusive mission, right? I might make two more Cloud City maps, then, (one reflecting the PS2, and one for XBox360 version - the vapour room and all that) and a Nar Shadaa map too.

EDIT
I hope I can post this here:

Version 2 of this mod: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G7OZYZ6R

It's being dealt with on Filefront (as you are not aware, unless you read SWBF Files news, I am the newest staff member there - I am still learning the ropes - some of the stuff is a bit complicated, but I think I'll get it), but I felt since it's hosted on another server, I might as well post the link. I'll edit out the link after it gets approved (I'm not going to self-approve!)

The TFU mapset will be done after this, as a separate project.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

did you make an exe? last time it crashed so i guess i was installing wrong, and ill dl looks really cool!