Star Wars Battlefront: Expansion - Release and Discussion

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Star Wars Battlefront: Expansion - Release and Discussio

Post by AQT »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't bump topics over 30 days old. It is against The Rules.

If you have a question about a topic or file and it is unanswered in the thread, please PM the author. If you have no new information to add, please do not add a post to the topic.

Thanks, Staff

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ggctuk: If you need this thread unlocked, please let a staff member know by PM. Thanks!

EDIT: Topic unlocked by author's request.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Well, it has been a long time since I even looked at this mod. There's been a lot going on these past few months, and it means I haven't had the time to come back to this mod.

I can tell you guys I expect this mod to be picked up again in September. I know what you're thinking - why am I waiting so long to finish this? Well, I go away at the end of August, and I think the time away will be great for doing a few things - first it will revitalize me, and second, I tend to have these odd flairs of inspiration while I'm on holiday. Dunno why - but I came up with most of the stuff that has been included so far when I was on holiday during Half Term week last October. As well as this, I can use the time to come up with new ideas that I might have missed the first time round.

While I didn't go into great detail over at SWBF Gamers into what I was looking at for this mod, since AQT was gracious enough to unlock the topic for me, I can tell you some of my preliminary findings from the first stage of Alpha testing this mod, and some of the plans I have for it:

Code: Select all

Map results:

BESPIN: CLOUD CITY - Works 100%
BESPIN: PLATFORMS - Works 100% in CW, GCW untested so far
ENDOR: BUNKER - Untested
GEONOSIS: SPIRE - Works 100%
HOTH: ECHO BASE - Untested
KAMINO: TIPOCA CITY - Works 100%
KASHYYYK: ISLANDS - Tested in CW and GCW, needs tweaking and to find the right vehicles
KASHYYYK: DOCKS - Works 100%
NABOO: PLAINS - Unexpected crashes, predominantly in CW, with stock map. No side errors detected as the side is used in other maps. It could be the fact there are too many effects. I might actually drop this map from the addme LUA.
NABOO: THEED - Works 100%
RHEN VAR: HARBOR - works 100%
RHEN VAR: CITADEL - Works 100%
TATOOINE: DUNE SEA - Untested
TATOOINE: MOS EISLEY - untested
YAVIN IV: TEMPLE - Map Unchanged, units/vehicles untested
YAVIN IV: ARENA - Tested CW, works 100% in CW
I plan on reducing the number of new SFX in this mod as well - as I'm sure there are weapons that don't actually need new SFX for them. I am definitely considering including new music though, for certain maps. Let me know what you think of this.

Suggestions are now closed for maps I will include as I have pretty much made my main edits to the addme LUA that will be included to add new maps to the game. I still haven't received a definitive answer on what to do with the Soldier's Blaster Rifle though.

So, yeah, sorry for leaving the mod and this thread cold for a long time.

To certain members, please do not pester me about when this mod will be finished. It will be done when it is done. I don't really wish to see this topic locked again before I have a chance to reply with news in the future.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I am an Audiophile, so I say keep all the SFX and add music. Sound is very important to me.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

The problem is this: Too many SFX, and either some of the new SFX won't play, or (more seriously) none of the stock SFX will play. I found this out first of all when I play-tested Kashyyyk Docks.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

ggctuk wrote:The problem is this: Too many SFX, and either some of the new SFX won't play, or (more seriously) none of the stock SFX will play. I found this out first of all when I play-tested Kashyyyk Docks.

*Sigh*
And this is why I mod SWBF2, as the first game has so many limitations. Well good luck anyway.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Eh, the trick is to work inside the limitations, and TBH, some of the SFX I used in the Main Play Mod worked well (IE using the Droid Sniper sound for the chaingun). Lightsaber swing sounds are unnecesary too. There are a few SFX I definitely want to keep - DC-15S, E-11, new sniper rifle, lightsaber hit and deflect sounds (because the stock ones are really lame) etc...

As for music, I will definitely be keeping in custom music. As far as I can tell the only limitation is that it cannot loop, but looping is not actually needed.
SleepKiller
Corporal
Corporal
xbox live or psn: N/A

Post by SleepKiller »

Yay your working on the mod again :D
ggctuk wrote:Eh, the trick is to work inside the limitations.
I agree just look at my deathmatch mode http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=3726.0 I never could do that in SWBFII because of how overcomplicated modding it is. And the stuff I used to do it is not possible in SWBFII.
Ty294
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: Various

Post by Ty294 »

Everyone knows you can reference more than one custom sound .lvl in your map's LUA right?
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Ty294 wrote:Everyone knows you can reference more than one custom sound .lvl in your map's LUA right?
Yes, but it wouldn't matter. It seems there is a limit to how many SFX can actually be loaded at once.
Ty294
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: Various

Post by Ty294 »

Well, I have two .LVL files, one contains several music files, and the other has prolly 70-80+ sounds in it.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Well, this is a bit embarrasing. You are probably wondering, "What happened to this mod?"

It has been put on the back burner, mainly because despite my August holiday, I could not find the time nor the inspiration to finish it. That does not mean it won't ever get finished. I plan on starting a few 'warm-up' projects (mainly mission maps, that will probably use my custom setup and could be considered 'demo' material) in the New year before going full-pelt back into this mod.

Just to let you guys know I'm not dead.

EDIT
UPDATE: I've started working on this again, but I'm doing it on odd days instead of all in one go - if I do it in one go, I know I'll just end up losing interest again.

So far, this is what I've come out with:

-The Republic Commando is gone, sadly. Even with the lower-resolution model, it still triggered other units into low-resolution more often than not. It's been replaced with the Clone Assassin.
-The new clone legions are as follows: Phase I, Phase I snow, ARC units, 501st, 212th, 327th, Coruscant Shock Troopers, Galactic Marines, 41st. The ARC units will have a prototype Phase II unit as their commander (special thanks to AceMastermind for fixing the model issues)
-The MagnaGuard will be armed with a Tri-Shot pistol as its secondary weapon.
-A modified campaign will folow the Republic, Empire and Rebels up to after the Battle of Endor.
-I want to reconvert a couple of BF2 maps - mainly Geonosis, Kamino, Utapau, Coruscant and Mygeeto, and this is mainly due to collision issues with the original conversions - Geonosis hasn't been converted at all, actually. Kamino has major collision issues, as does Coruscant. Utapau and Mygeeto have minor issues that hex-editing will fix. Sadly, this will take quite a bit of time as each collision mesh has to be renamed. Some will probably have to be re-exported to enable collision properly. Any help on this front would be duly appreciated.

EDIT
I have some bad news.

This mod is indefinitely on hold. I just can't find the inspiration to continue with this right now, I'm afraid.

Can I request a mod to lock this topic, until I choose to return working on this? Thanks.

Double posting is against the RULES; please EDIT your post instead -Staff