New shield types?

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Naboo Otoh Gunga
Games I'm Playing :: swbf 1
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

New shield types?

Post by sereja2 »

There is only two types of shield present in game: fambaa and droideka. Is it possible to add new shield type into .fx file?
Please help.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: New shield types?

Post by THEWULFMAN »

The answer is simply, no. I'm sorry.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

THEWULFMAN wrote:The answer is simply, no. I'm sorry.
Totally incorrect.

Shields can have different effects, yes. You can change the effect by using the ShieldEffect property. The shield classlabel will always end up being a sphere, however, so if you're wanting to have some sort of shield that's more akin to Halo, use the AddShield property on in your actual character ODF.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Teancum wrote:Totally incorrect.

Shields can have different effects, yes. You can change the effect by using the ShieldEffect property. The shield classlabel will always end up being a sphere, however, so if you're wanting to have some sort of shield that's more akin to Halo, use the AddShield property on in your actual character ODF.
He asked a specific question, I gave a specific answer. There are only two kinds of ShieldTypes in the shield fx file, Fambaa and Droideka. Which really only determine how the spherical shield turns on or off. I'm sure you know the difference between the two. You can't add a new shield type into the game, so the answer is still no.

Of course he can do what you've said, adding the shield to the unit itself and/or adding a new shield impact fx. That was just a different matter for a different question.

EDIT: Matter of fact, can units even be given shields in SWBF1? If so I've never seen it, only in SWBF2.
Led
Private Third Class

Post by Led »

THEWULFMAN wrote: EDIT: Matter of fact, can units even be given shields in SWBF1? If so I've never seen it, only in SWBF2.

I once gave a flying ewok a deka sheild.
http://www.xfire.com/video/4439bd/

So, if by units you mean something in addition to the deka, then yes.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Led wrote:

I once gave a flying ewok a deka sheild.
http://www.xfire.com/video/4439bd/

So, if by units you mean something in addition to the deka, then yes.

No, I mean giving the unit itself a shield as opposed to giving a unit a shield "weapon" like what the Droideka has. Unit shields are on constantly and usually are set to regenerate. This is done by a couple small ODF lines, MaxShield (maximum strength of the shield) and AddShield which is what the shield regenerates at. I'm not sure, but I believe this is SWBF2 exclusive.

Offtopic: Ewoks with Droideka shield, makes no sense but makes up what it lacks in logic by awesomeness.
sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by sereja2 »

Ok, so i can change colour and size, but what about shield ''collision''? The impact effects is alwais appear from shield outside only. I try to invert fambaa shield by changing height to -30, but result is the same. Is there exist some other way to invert shield?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

sereja2 wrote:Is there exist some other way to invert shield?
Not if you want the fancy effect of the shield turning on. You could have a fake "shield" model with two way ordnance collision, and deploy it like a turret. The shield model could still glow, be transparent, or have the texture rotate. However unless you add a shield to the model via ODF, the shield impact effect will not display. This assumes that can be done in SWBF1.

I realize this was unorganized, complicated, and confusing, so feel free to ask me questions about it.
sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by sereja2 »

Yes, it is complicated, but I make fake shield with inner collision, put in center of it ivisible arrow, labeled as "armoredbuilding" and make it generate fambaa shield with same shape. It looks fine, unless I can't make fancy impact effects from inside.
So, here the next question: is it possible to make shields with same type, but different size, in single map?
SleepKiller
Corporal
Corporal
xbox live or psn: N/A

Post by SleepKiller »

sereja2 wrote:Yes, it is complicated, but I make fake shield with inner collision, put in center of it ivisible arrow, labeled as "armoredbuilding" and make it generate fambaa shield with same shape. It looks fine, unless I can't make fancy impact effects from inside.
So, here the next question: is it possible to make shields with same type, but different size, in single map?
Let's look at the stock .fx file.

Code: Select all

Shield("DroidekaShield")
{
	Type("droideka");
	Texture("cis_inf_droideka_shield");
	Color(96, 160, 192, 255);
	SpecularColor(216, 240, 255);
	ViewAngleFactor(1.5);
	Radius(1.25);
	Height(1.25);
	TurnOnTime(0.15);
	TurnOffTime(0.15);
	ScrollRate(1.0);
}
The key thing you should be noticing here is the game defines the name of the shield with this line. Shield("DroidekaShield") . So as long as the shields don't share the same name you should be good.
sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by sereja2 »

Thank's! That was realy helpful.
I found some screenshot, for the map, named: "Naboo: Ouch Time!", by Majin Revan. In this screenshoot shield uses, as handmounted weapon, and have elliptical shape.
So, the next question is: is it possible to change shield radius only in X or Z direction?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

sereja2 wrote:So, the next question is: is it possible to change shield radius only in X or Z direction?
Shield("DroidekaShield")
{
Type("droideka");
Texture("cis_inf_droideka_shield");
Color(96, 160, 192, 255);
SpecularColor(216, 240, 255);
ViewAngleFactor(1.5);
Radius(1.25);
Height(1.25);

TurnOnTime(0.15);
TurnOffTime(0.15);
ScrollRate(1.0);
}
Yep. Radius = X/Y, Height = Z. AQT did this on his Death Watch Bunker map, there are Super Battle Droids with shields. The shields are taller than they are wide.
sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by sereja2 »

I mean, is it possible to make shield with "soap" shape? So, the height, Z, must be about = 0,5; X direction = 2; and Y direction is =1?