Need advice on sounds

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

RebelMarksman
Private Third Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 1
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Need advice on sounds

Post by RebelMarksman »

Good day! I use a modified weapon of other factions, for the side that I'm change. But there is a problem - sounds of the weapons taken from other factions did not work in Battlefront. Tell me how to fix it ? Thank you in advance.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Need advice on sounds

Post by Marth8880 »

One way you could fix this is to record a video of the weapon firing, extract the audio from the video, and munge the sound in a new sound LVL.
sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Naboo Otoh Gunga
Games I'm Playing :: swbf 1
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by sereja2 »

You mean, exist some program, enabled to recording sound from the game, or from the movie? But which one? And in what format this sound files must be save? And how to make BFBuilder recognize this files? Is there custom background music can be done this way?
Can somebody explaine this, or at least post a link, for step, by step tutorial, please?
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Sounds in SWBF1 are set up the same way as in SWBF2. Also, try searching for you answer first next time; there's eight years worth of modding knowledge and resources on this forum, so there's a very good chance of you finding it.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Fraps can record the video, along with the audio of any (or at least many) programs that use DirectX, OpenGL, and Flash. So, here's what you need to do...
  1. Download and install Fraps.
  2. Record a video of the rifle with the sound being fired.
  3. Open up Windows Movie Maker (Vegas and Premiere don't support multi-channel audio streams).
  4. Import the recorded video into Windows Movie Maker.
  5. Drag the video you imported into the "Music" part of the timeline.
  6. Click "Publish", and follow the steps on-screen.
  7. Download and install RealPlayer.
  8. Open up RealPlayer Converter, click "Add...", and browse for and open up the audio file you created via Windows Movie Maker.
  9. Click the large button under "Convert to" and select "Create Custom".
  10. Make the name "SWBF2 WAV" or something, select "Audio Only" for the video format, "WAV" for the audio format, and "Uncompressed" for the audio quality, and click "OK".
  11. Select the "device" that you just created and click "OK".
  12. Under "Save in", select "Same directory as original" and click the large "Start" button.
  13. Once your file is done converting, download and install Audacity.
  14. In Audacity, go to File>Import>Audio..., or press Ctrl+Shift+I, and select and open the new .wav file you created.
  15. Go to Tracks>Stereo Track to Mono.
  16. In the bottom-left section of Audacity under "Project Rate (Hz)", select "44100".
  17. Go to Effects>Normalize... and click "OK".
  18. Now, you need to select and delete the portions of your audio track that are not the sound of the rifle being fired. Basically, what you're doing is isolating the fire sound of the rifle. Anyways, to do this, you literally just select a portion of the track with your mouse and hit the "Delete" key on your keyboard.
  19. Once your fire sound is completely isolated, zoom in on the beginning of the wavelength and delete ANY bit of remaining audio that exists before the VERY beginning of the fire sound. Do the same with the end of the wavelength.
  20. Once your fire sound is even-more-completely isolated, select around the first twentieth of a second of the beginning of your track and go to Effects>Fade In. Do the same with the end of your track, except go to Effects>Fade Out instead of Effects>Fade In.
  21. Go to File>Export..., give your file a name, select "WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM", and click "OK".
  22. Once your new .wav file is done exporting, follow this tutorial on adding the sound to your mod.