Emperor's Throne Room (Conversion)

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Naboo Otoh Gunga
Games I'm Playing :: swbf 1
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Emperor's Throne Room (Conversion)

Post by sereja2 »

Well, adding correct light, in SWBF1, possible even without Zero Editor. Just by simply editing SKY file. Also, for more effect enveroment, it is very helpfull to adding some invisible hp_light hardpoints, with attached light. If the SWBF1 ZE isn't work, it possible to do with SWBF2 ZE, and then just copy .wld file.
By say "underwater", I didn't mean color palete - it's nice, I mean those flat, uncontrasted, SWBF2 enviroment color system, almost similar, to SWBF1 underwater view. It is almost turn 3D to 2D, and that is why, I think, in SWBF1, this map cud be look's better.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Emperor's Throne Room (Conversion)

Post by Maveritchell »

sereja2 wrote:Well, adding correct light, in SWBF1, possible even without Zero Editor. Just by simply editing SKY file. Also, for more effect enveroment, it is very helpfull to adding some invisible hp_light hardpoints, with attached light. If the SWBF1 ZE isn't work, it possible to do with SWBF2 ZE, and then just copy .wld file.
By say "underwater", I didn't mean color palete - it's nice, I mean those flat, uncontrasted, SWBF2 enviroment color system, almost similar, to SWBF1 underwater view. It is almost turn 3D to 2D, and that is why, I think, in SWBF1, this map cud be look's better.
This uses all those things. Like you said, global ambient light is controlled through the sky file using parameters similar to the global lights in ZE for SWBF2. Because I couldn't edit the map in ZE (neither SWBF1/2 ZE work on my PC), I could really only work with the hardpoints I had in place (which I use, you see, to give regional omni lights to the areas around all the lights in the map - elevator, throne consoles, and galaxy map). That being said, directional lights are still a no-go in SWBF1.

What you're talking about is a matter of preference between SWBF1 and 2 - SWBF1's lights are harsher/more intense and lack the subtlety of SWBF2's lights. That can be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on how you use it. In this case, I didn't care for it. It's worth mentioning that SWBF1's lighting style can be duplicated, but I suspect that most people that play SWBF2 more often prefer the more subdued lighting of SWBF2, while those who play SWBF1 more often prefer the bolder lighting of SWBF1. There's nothing wrong with preferring either, but as I said before - speaking as a modder, I simply have less control in SWBF1.