How does -lodbias work?

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

tirpider
Lance Corporal

How does -lodbias work?

Post by tirpider »

In misc_documentation.doc for the BF2 modtools, there is a list of valid entries for msh .option files.

For lodbias it says:
-lodbias <float>
Set a bias on the distance at which this model will LOD. Larger numbers will cause the model to remain detailed at larger distances. Default is 1.0 (no bias).
Does anyone know what the range for this might be?
I've tried 20.0, 30.0, 1000.0 with no apparent effect.

Also, this is on a playable unit, so does anyone know if this works on animated models, or is it only for static ones?

Here is my .option:

Code: Select all

-lodbias 1000.0 -nocollision -keepmaterial override_texture override_texture2
This is for SWBF1, if that makes a difference and a quick search revealed recomendations to use lodbias, but no insight regarding my current situation.

-edit
I tested the setting on a prop.

I made copy the msh and odf, and nulled the .option, leaving only the -lodbias setting.
One set to 1.0, the other set to 1000.0.
Then I placed them at various inervals from the middle to the edge of a test map.

No difference at all.
Even with different in-game LOD settings.

I'm going to assume this is a SWBF2 specific option, though my grep did not find a single example of it in either sets of assets (BF1 or 2.)

Sorry about the quick open and close question.
I hope you understand and can forgive middle-of-the-night tech desperation.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: How does -lodbias work?

Post by AceMastermind »

It's possible that switch is only for SWBF2 but no examples of usage are found, it may also be part of broken or missing code but just wasn't removed from the docs. Try using the various lodgroup switches instead. LODs go hand in hand with the Near and Far scene settings in your sky file.

-lodgroup soldier
-lodgroup model
-lodgroup bigmodel
-lodgroup hugemodel