Modifying the model memory

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Modifying the model memory

Post by giftheck »

I've had some discussions with other people in regards to this before. However, I would like to bring this to a wider audience in the hopes somebody out there might be able to help.

Basically, I want to alter the memory allocation for models/animations. Right now, I know that the model memory is handled by RedEngine, and that there are two hardcoded limits: one is a 'lower limit' of 16MB. Once this is surpassed, any additional models loaded start changing into their low-res formats. The upper, absolute limit is 32MB. I found this out thanks to SPTest, which thankfully is not as encrypted as the main executeable so I was able to pull those values out from it.

Is there anybody with the know-how who can change the values to something a little more compatible with modern systems? I was thinking 80 MB lower limit with the upper limit of 96. That should be sufficient for using much more detailed models. This used to be the sort of thing BattleBelk could do but he has long since disappeared and we have no way of contacting him.

What I had in m ind for this was for a loader much like Battlebelk's Custom Resolution Launcher that overrides these values within memory.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Re: Modifying the model memory

Post by ANDEWEGET »

I still have him on Steam and here and there he's online, too.

From what I can remember BattleBelk's tools were just classic CheatEngine "hacks". I guess in your case it's not as straight forward because your variable is static so you can't easily narrow it down.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Re: Modifying the model memory

Post by giftheck »

I need a good day to learn to use this program.

I don't know if what I'm looking for could be narrowed down by knowing the name of the coding that controls it (RedModel.cpp according to SPTest).