SWBF2 Not Running! -Need tech advice (Solved)

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

elfie
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: no games
xbox live or psn: no live

SWBF2 Not Running! -Need tech advice (Solved)

Post by elfie »

Okay, I have encountered a major problem: BF2 isn't running. I think I know the cause, though. When I uninstalled the conversion pack, due to lack of disc space (It was fantastic btw), I removed the folders like in the instructions and BF2 ran fine. But when I went into add and remove programs and deleted the thing that said "SWBF2 Conversion Pack v1.9" and I went to run BF2, it went to a black screen like it was going to run, but then went back to the desktop. I went into the data/lvl_pc and found that both "side" and "load" had been modified the time I uninstalled the pack from Add or Remove programs. I don't know in which way, but I'm guessing that's the problem. I want to reinstall BF2, but in Add or Remove programs, "Star Wars Battlefront II" is listed as being 10,888.00MB, when I know it is really only 4 or 5GB actually. Is the size so great because it includes all my maps from Modtools folder and Addon folder? And can I trust Add or Remove Programs to uninstall properly after what just occured? What should I do so that I don't loose all my maps I'm working on? I would appreciate any advice on this, as I would like to be able to use BF2 to test out my map soon.
Last edited by elfie on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: SWBF2 Not Running! -Need tech advice

Post by AQT »

Uninstalling the Conversion Pack version 1.9 would have removed important files such as the shell.lvl, etc. You would have to reinstall the game.
Is the size so great because it includes all my maps from Modtools folder and Addon folder?
No, just from the addon folder.
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by 501st_commander »

also, run the modtools.exe. the error log may have some information.
elfie
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by elfie »

501st_commander wrote:also, run the modtools.exe. the error log may have some information.
I would, but BF2_modtools.exe doesn't run either. So if I uninstall it will remove all my maps from my addon folder right? And it wouldn't touch any of the ones I am working on in the BF2_Modtools folder?
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

elfie wrote:
501st_commander wrote:also, run the modtools.exe. the error log may have some information.
I would, but BF2_modtools.exe doesn't run either. So if I uninstall it will remove all my maps from my addon folder right? And it wouldn't touch any of the ones I am working on in the BF2_Modtools folder?
the BF2_modtools.exe wont run, but it may give you a error log on the problem.
if you uninstall it most likely wont touch the add-on folder, but move its contents in a folder somewhere like the desktop just to be safe.
And no it wont touch the BF2_Modtools folder, its on a separate install.
elfie
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by elfie »

501st_commander wrote:
elfie wrote:
the BF2_modtools.exe wont run, but it may give you a error log on the problem.
if you uninstall it most likely wont touch the add-on folder, but move its contents in a folder somewhere like the desktop just to be safe.
And no it wont touch the BF2_Modtools folder, its on a separate install.
Thats what I would think, but the Star Wars Battlefront II folder isn't 10GB like it says in Add or Remove programs, its 7. So this is just probably a glitch right? I'm just a little paranoid about loosing all my stuff.
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

most likely a glitch, the game it-self without addon files is around 4GB. if you have things in the addon move them to another safer place. Then uninstall/reinstall. The BF2_modtools folder will not be effected, but if you are unsure move the stuff you want to keep to a safer place.
elfie
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by elfie »

501st_commander wrote:most likely a glitch, the game it-self without addon files is around 4GB. if you have things in the addon move them to another safer place. Then uninstall/reinstall. The BF2_modtools folder will not be effected, but if you are unsure move the stuff you want to keep to a safer place.
I hope its a glitch too. I did what you said with the modtools.exe thing, btw, and It pumped out an error that it couldn't find shell and core.lvl. Luckily, I had backups of those two files, so I put them in lvl_pc and the gam loaded! Bad news is, none of the maps work nor does campaign or galactic conquest, so that kinda ruins it. :P I'm going to move most of the files to my documents just in case when I uninstall. Hopefully I'll still have all my maps after its over. wish me luck!
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

elfie wrote:in Add or Remove programs, "Star Wars Battlefront II" is listed as being 10,888.00MB, when I know it is really only 4 or 5GB actually.
Those numbers are oftentimes wrong. What you need to do is uninstall SWBF2, go to wherever SWBF2 was installed, delete any remaining files, reinstall SWBF2, patch it, then install Convo Pack 2.0, then the 2.2 patch and you'll be 100% set.
elfie
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by elfie »

Teancum wrote:
elfie wrote:in Add or Remove programs, "Star Wars Battlefront II" is listed as being 10,888.00MB, when I know it is really only 4 or 5GB actually.
Those numbers are oftentimes wrong. What you need to do is uninstall SWBF2, go to wherever SWBF2 was installed, delete any remaining files, reinstall SWBF2, patch it, then install Convo Pack 2.0, then the 2.2 patch and you'll be 100% set.
Thanks tean, and everyone else who has helped me, It worked!! (you can lock this now I guess)
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: SWBF2 Not Running! -Need tech advice (Solved)

glad to help :thumbs: