SWBFFiles Summer Mapping Contest (Vote, p5)

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Re: SWBFFiles Summer Mapping Contest

Post by Eggman »

Nightfall wrote:What i mean by "they aren't working" is that i downloaded the maps, extracted the files into the add on file of the battlefront game, started the game, and the maps would not even appear in the level selection.
You probably need to open the folder you downloaded, then find the folder inside that one with the map's three letter name and place it in your addon.

So what you download would be something like:

ABC --> ABC --> map data, etc.

So you want to pick up the folder highlighted red and move that to your addon folder.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

To be honest, I am a little disappointed by the showing we got this time around for the contest entries (in terms of number and not quality of entries), and would love to see a few more if possible. To that end, if I were to extend the time for entries by a week, what would your opinions about that be? Would it be:

a) Unfair to any that've already entered?
b) Enough time for anyone working on a map to finish it up?
c) Make a difference in number of entries?

...etc. If adding on some time would really bring in some new entries, I would love to extend the timeframe by about a week - but I will not do this unless it is both ok with those who've already entered and will make an effect on the number of entries.

I'd love to hear your opinions here as long as they do not betray any clues as to whether you've entered or not yet. If you are a person currently working on a map that did not get finished in time for the deadline, but would be able to finish in another week if given the time, please PM me and let me know (it will be easiest to figure out that statistic from non-public communication). Thanks guys, let me know!
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

I think people were pretty overwhelmed by the subject matter. Taris means lots of custom models and whatnot to be any sort of decent. The bulk of modders don't have the ability to deliver something like Taris to any degree of accuracy, and those that do don't have time.

Just my two cents.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Teancum wrote:I think people were pretty overwhelmed by the subject matter. Taris means lots of custom models and whatnot to be any sort of decent.
Only one of the entries used custom models, though. The rest all used stock props or commonly-used custom assets - and I think they all fit well within "sort of decent."
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

a) Would it be possible to give people who already entered their maps a chance to resubmit it during this extra week with any updates? That could help eliminate any advantage given to people who haven't submitted yet. My only worry would be that it might cause some confusion to the voters if there were two versions of the same map floating around.

b) It should certainly be enough time for people to finish up if they had been working on it diligently and only feel a little behind the deadline for some reason.

c) You might get a couple more. I imagine it would still be lower numbers than the last contest, but it would still be good even if there are only one or two more entries.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Eggman wrote:a) Would it be possible to give people who already entered their maps a chance to resubmit it during this extra week with any updates? That could help eliminate any advantage given to people who haven't submitted yet. My only worry would be that it might cause some confusion to the voters if there were two versions of the same map floating around.
I am concerned that this would cause massive confusion - I might be willing to do it if it were the lynchpin of getting things done, but I can't see there being a huge amount people could add in. Plus it would have essentially given the early submitters a free "beta test," which is an advantage they'd have over any later entries.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

I'd extend the contest. JK Files actually extended their's by two weeks, so i don't see anything wrong with extending this contest by a week.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Turn in the votes, friends:
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... ting;43549

Voting lasts for about a week.
obiboba3po
2008 Most Technically Challenging Avatar
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by obiboba3po »

Teancum wrote:I think people were pretty overwhelmed by the subject matter. Taris means lots of custom models and whatnot to be any sort of decent. The bulk of modders don't have the ability to deliver something like Taris to any degree of accuracy, and those that do don't have time.

Just my two cents.
yea i kinda agree with teancum. I started modelling for some buildings but then decided that it just wasn't worth my time because i realized i just wasn't as interested in the contest. i liked it better when we had freedom to chose and create a completley new environment instead of having to mimic an already existing one. thats just how i felt.
Commander_Fett
High General
High General

Post by Commander_Fett »

obiboba3po wrote:
Teancum wrote:I think people were pretty overwhelmed by the subject matter. Taris means lots of custom models and whatnot to be any sort of decent. The bulk of modders don't have the ability to deliver something like Taris to any degree of accuracy, and those that do don't have time.

Just my two cents.
yea i kinda agree with teancum. I started modelling for some buildings but then decided that it just wasn't worth my time because i realized i just wasn't as interested in the contest. i liked it better when we had freedom to chose and create a completley new environment instead of having to mimic an already existing one. thats just how i felt.
Exactly the same for me.
Revan-Shan
Private First Class

Re: SWBFFiles Summer Mapping Contest (Vote, p5)

Post by Revan-Shan »

I've played the Contest maps, and I find them lacking. They have no kotor era sides, which is basic for a Taris map.

Has anyone thought making a contest pack ading the kotor era?

And about the mpas themselves... I really liked Nightfall, though I would have liked a day version too. ANd Outcast Village, it perfectly takes you to the Taris suburbs, as seen in Kotor 1.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Revan-Shan wrote:I've played the Contest maps, and I find them lacking. They have no kotor era sides, which is basic for a Taris map.
No, it's not. Use your imagination just a touch more. The planet didn't stop existing after the one game it was shown in.

And as I said in the initial contest newspost, I'm not going to force anyone to use modded sides for their map, and I'm also not going to allow different sides across contest maps (to ensure that the contest is about the maps and not the sides). That is why there are no KotOR sides. If the authors want to add them after the contest is over, they're welcome to, but I'm not going to edit them all to use KotOR sides without the authors' permission.

-----

As a reminder - please vote if you haven't already! Today is the final day for getting in those votes and some of the standings are very close - your vote can definitely make a difference.
Fierfek
High General
High General
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: Somewhere in the Galaxy (Most Likely Scrapping Tinnies)

Post by Fierfek »

Hey, the contest just finished! The winner was.... actually, I won't tell you. Go watch the video at swbattlefront files!