Copyright Rules (UPDATED: Jan 12, 2018)

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: NEW POLICY: Copyright Rules

Post by Teancum »

Let me iterate again the spirit of this policy:
  • FIRST - Do what you can to make it yourself, or if your map/mod doesn't actually need it, do without the custom asset.
  • SECOND - Use something the community has made, or something another Star Wars modding community has made, trying to get permission from the modder of that asset.
  • AS A LAST RESORT - Use as absolutely as little as possible from a commercial Star Wars game, giving proper credit and citing copyright. If you get to this point you should probably ask yourself if you really need the model/textures/whatever. I would say at least half the time you don't.
Again, this policy isn't about giving everyone free reign to stuff. It's about being able to get what you need when there are no other alternatives, and then only taking as much as you truly need.
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

Just wanted to clarify some things that are required to be in the readme by the license to which everyone agreed when they downloaded the modtools:
ModTools' License wrote:(5) New Levels must identify in every description file, on-line description, read-me, and in comments in the New Level code (if new code is added): (a) the name, address, and e-mail address of the level’s creators, and (b) the following disclaimer: “THIS LEVEL IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY LUCASARTS, A DIVISION OF LUCASFILM ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LTD. ELEMENTS TM & (C) LUCASARTS, A DIVISION OF LUCASFILM ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LTD.”
I think we'll all agree the putting your living address in is a little excessive. psych0fred used to have a copy of his standard readme template up on his site, but the link seems to be dead.

The license also explicitly says the following, but I assume you, Teancum, and the rest of the staff are overlooking this boundary for this community:
(4) New Levels may not include any LucasArts sound effects or music files or portions thereof.
I assume this because the example you gave was of Starkiller's voice, which, technically, under this note, you should not use.
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by lucasfart »

Does this include stock assets and textures from star wars games? or are we only allowed to use custom models made by the community? say for example, i wanted to use some stock textures for buildings and other stuff from the Jedi Academy game, is that fine? also, who would i give the credit to if it is ok? the company that created the game?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Correct - we're taking the same approach as Wikipedia's Non-free use rationale guideline and U.S. Fair Use Copyright, or at least as close as we can get to it.
Wikipedia on U.S. Fair Use Copyright Law wrote:The first factor is regarding whether the use in question helps fulfill the intention of copyright law to stimulate creativity for the enrichment of the general public, or whether it aims to only "supersede the objects" of the original for reasons of personal profit. To justify the use as fair, one must demonstrate how it either advances knowledge or the progress of the arts through the addition of something new.

lucasfart wrote:Does this include stock assets and textures from star wars games? or are we only allowed to use custom models made by the community? say for example, i wanted to use some stock textures for buildings and other stuff from the Jedi Academy game, is that fine? also, who would i give the credit to if it is ok? the company that created the game?
How many textures we talkin? Remember that the idea is that you use as little as possible. Odds are unless it's a very specific texture for a building, you can find a free alternative elsewhere, such as in a Star Wars game mod, or a Star Wars mod for a non-Star Wars game.

Wikipedia on U.S. Fair Use Copyright Law wrote:The third factor assesses the quantity or percentage of the original copyrighted work that has been imported into the new work. In general, the less that is used in relation to the whole, e.g., a few sentences of a text for a book review, the more likely that the sample will be considered fair use.
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by lucasfart »

Yeah, you're probably right Tean', its just that it'd save a lot of looking, because its hard to find the exact texture i'm looking for a lot of the time.

Also, i'm guessing from your first post, using a custom made Clone trooper is not recommended/allowed because we already have the stock one? I was thinking it would be a bit more interesting/different to use a custom model instead of the stock ones...its not something i need though, it'd just look a lot better.

This was what i was thinking of:
http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/C ... tima;53471
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Nope - those are 100% scratch built, community made models, and so they fall under this rule:
Seek permission for non-professional assets - If you can get permission to use something made by another community, do so. If you don't hear back in two weeks, simply credit the author(s). We would tell you to try and get permission for commercial stuff too, but you're unlikely to get a response.
What I posted above has to do with professional assets, I.E. something that came with a game.

Also, I *think* Mars gave permission for any of his models to be converted, but someone else will have to confirm that.
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by RED51 »

A tad bit off topic, but why would we need those models converted? Our stock clones are good enough.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

*Still off-topic* -- I agree, especially with the updates Deviss and others have made to them.
skelltor
Sith
Sith
Projects :: BFSM
xbox live or psn: skelltor95

Post by skelltor »

how the heck do i tell what arc made or not. in the read me he says stuff like

- Wazmol69 for assets
- Caleb1117 for models
- Droideka88 for some skins

i dont think i should have to ask his permission to use other ppls stuff.
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

Yes, you should. Unless you can find out who made a specific asset and download it from another source, Arccomander's demand still stands. Don't be rude by saying "I say I don't need no permission".
skelltor
Sith
Sith

Post by skelltor »

ok but i was not trying to be rude
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

It's just that the way you said it that made it sound like you did act rude.
skelltor
Sith
Sith

Post by skelltor »

ok well sorry cuz i really did not meen it that way
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

skelltor wrote:how the heck do i tell what arc made or not. in the read me he says stuff like

- Wazmol69 for assets
- Caleb1117 for models
- Droideka88 for some skins

i dont think i should have to ask his permission to use other ppls stuff.
You still haven't told us what you need. I already told you that if this is an issue you're very likely to find everything you need elsewhere in other asset packs.
skelltor
Sith
Sith

Post by skelltor »

i thought i kinda told u a few posts back
skelltor wrote:
Teancum wrote:
skelltor wrote:idk if this would be missuseing the email admins only feature but could an admin email arc and just kindly tell hm that some gamtoast members want to use his assests and if he was not going to be on the site anymore if he woulde please remove the permisssion onaly for any mods thing?
What exactly do you want from his assets? Odds are you can get 99% of what you need from other asset packs.
modeling i just cant get it and animations other stuff i can find or make

edit just a quick ? if i just look at some of his odfs to get an idea for like how fast the wepon fired do i need his permission?
models and animations mostly i can make/find skins and stuff
RED51
Jedi
Jedi

Post by RED51 »

I'm preparing my final release of my 501st side mod, and I have some barriers in my way regarding Arc's assets use.
Here's what I'm using:(from my readme credits)
=ARC_Commander for the Snow Trooper backpack 501st skin, Darker EE-3 skin, blue and red laser effects, and the grenade blinking and explosion effect=
Since this is a mod, not a map, would this mean I would not be able to use them? I have no problem removing them(Well, except for the lasers cause they are fantastic, especially on dark lighting maps, but rules are rules...), as I have replacements at hand. So what is my situation?
skelltor
Sith
Sith

Post by skelltor »

i think the rule is you have to get his permission but somone idk who has a snowtrooper back pack as an addon its in the assests thread
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

skelltor wrote:i thought i kinda told u a few posts back
skelltor wrote:
Teancum wrote:
skelltor wrote:idk if this would be missuseing the email admins only feature but could an admin email arc and just kindly tell hm that some gamtoast members want to use his assests and if he was not going to be on the site anymore if he woulde please remove the permisssion onaly for any mods thing?
What exactly do you want from his assets? Odds are you can get 99% of what you need from other asset packs.
modeling i just cant get it and animations other stuff i can find or make

edit just a quick ? if i just look at some of his odfs to get an idea for like how fast the wepon fired do i need his permission?
models and animations mostly i can make/find skins and stuff
Right - I'm more trying to find out which models and animations. Most of his stuff can be found elsewhere, and I don't think he had any 100% new animations, so those would be easy to munge using existing stuff.
skelltor
Sith
Sith

Post by skelltor »

oh sorry :oops: i am on a different pc then i normaly am so i dont have his assests but let me think

models the ep2 anikin,lumanara udelie(sorry idt thats how u spell it but the green jedi with the black headress,bossk,the magna gaurd,underhand chaingun,
i know there are others too
but i cant think of them now let me look when i get home i a few days and i will post more.
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

what about actually searching if you can find the assets elswhere?
all of these were released by their original authors/converters

@tean: it only includes the custom doublepistolanims i made

imho it would be the best to create a topic for questions regarding the authors of assets (if they arent stated anywhere)