Update The Battlefront 2 Map Archive?

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Update The Battlefront 2 Map Archive?

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Before I explain this topic, just wanted to say Happy New Year to all and hope 2016 is another great year for Battlefront 1 & 2 modding!

Anyways onto the topic at hand. I was wondering if their was a way to update the Battlefront 2 Map Archive on the Google Docs. When I have gone searching for a couple maps with broken links, I find working links for them. For example, Thule Moon on the Google Docs shows a broken download link however when I viewed the first post by RepSharpShooter, a different link was on there which still works even after years of release. Also, if mods/maps have broken links, then under download links should it not be listed as broken so people are not wasting time trying broken links? Granted there are a few filefront.com or gamefront.com links that still work (example #1: http://www.filefront.com/14272557/ipf.zip/ example #2: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20856721/GE7.zip) but the ones that do not I believe should be listed as broken to give people the heads up. My main point here is I think the map archive should be updated to help fellow Battlefront 2 members and the Battlefront 2 audience find what they need without going through a scavenger hunt to find the one or two maps they want. If the map archive can not be updated unless the person who made it is the only one who can update it then I can understand that.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Update The Battlefront 2 Map Archive?

Post by AceMastermind »

[Padawan]Helkaan hasn't visited since Aug 04, 2015

I only see 2 solutions to this:
1. You can request edit access to his in the "View only" drop down menu at the archive page.
2. You could copy his archive to your google account and you can begin to make edits right away.
File > Make a copy...
then post a new map archive thread here that you can maintain and have control over.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

AceMastermind wrote:[Padawan]Helkaan hasn't visited since Aug 04, 2015
2. You could copy his archive to your google account and you can begin to make edits right away.
File > Make a copy...
then post a new map archive thread here that you can maintain and have control over.
Thanks for the reply Ace, but wouldn't I need permission from Helkaan to be allowed to download the archive he has? I do not want to just download the map archive and claim the archive was made by me.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

MikeTheBeast55 wrote:... wouldn't I need permission from Helkaan to be allowed to download the archive he has? I do not want to just download the map archive and claim the archive was made by me.
I already test copied it to mine, no permission is needed for that.
You could just add Helkaan and AlexSecura to the credits for the copied data and you should be fine.

The map archive should be maintained by active members.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

AceMastermind wrote: no permission is needed for that.
You could just add Helkaan and AlexSecura to the credits for the copied data and you should be fine.
Thanks Ace, I just wanted to help out the Battlefront 2 members and community by editing and maintaining the map archive so people could find the maps they want. Again, thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it! 8)
[Padawan]Helkaan
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Dunno. Maybe making something
Games I'm Playing :: Some.

Post by [Padawan]Helkaan »

I'm just popping here to say that I am glad someone still cares about the good ol' archive. :angel: I've been watching GT from a distance and I'm not into collecting SWBF2 files anymore, with the end of SWBFiles I've been gradually loosing hope in updating the archive. My Google Drive and Mediafire folders for SWBF2 maps will remain online though.

Still, I am doing something SWBF-related right now: mirroring the SWBF2 section of Gamefront on a filehost that doesn't block downloading in some countries. I'm fed up of having to go though a proxy or VPN and it could be of use for some other people.