SWBFII Xbox Live Title Server

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

GoTeamScotch
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

SWBFII Xbox Live Title Server

Post by GoTeamScotch »

There is a small group of users over at AssemblerGames forums building an open source version of Xbox Live. Thead: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/ope ... ive.44462/

This projects aims to restore online service to the original Xbox after it was discontinued in 2010. The project aims to have features like friends lists, messages, voice chat, and to support stock/unmodified consoles.

One of the members recently announced that he's made great strides in the user authentication process and the project seems to be progressing towards the end goal. See his post here.

Each original Xbox game would need to have its own title server to handle developed to handle connecting players to one another. The reason I'm posting today is to hopefully start a discussion and gather information about how SWBFII responds to requests. Is there any documentation online to reference? Any tips or info sources?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Re: SWBFII Xbox Live Title Server

Post by Teancum »

I suppose I'd be the only one that knows anything about it as almost everyone else mods the PC version exclusively. I'd need a lot more specific information on what you need in order to answer your question, though. I can look through the LUA code if you're talking about logins, etc -- but if you're talking about how data packets are handled during gameplay we don't have any info on that.
GoTeamScotch
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Is the method that the game uses to connect players similar between the PC and Xbox versions? I was under the assumption that after a user is authenticated into Xbox Live that the game's server handles most everything else, which can be as simple or complicated as the devs want it to be, so the core system is probably used between platforms and should share a decent amount of similarities, correct? SWBFspy already did a replacement server for PC, I wonder how much would transfer over to the Xbox.

At the moment I don't have specific questions. I'm more looking to be pointed in the right direction to learn how the game connects players in general and if there's any files (lua or other) that might have clues into how the game expects to be interacted with from the server at various points.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Yeah, you could probably assume that once there are enough players found the methods for what data to send in packets is roughly the same. The one thing that I couldn't help at all with is matchmaking. The most information we have is some basic login info in the game's scripts (no actual source code for the game itself).

Best of luck with this. It seems a bit pipe-dreamy, but who knows, right?