Modded Maps Crash

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

titanbass1
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 1+2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Modded Maps Crash

Post by titanbass1 »

Hello. I was hoping if I could have some assistance with an issue I am experiencing with Battlefront 2 when playing modded maps.
Before I state my issue, I have a headphone plugged in, stereo mix is enabled, I run as admin, compatibility mode is on, I run at 2 cores, I'm under 500 missions, and I have the latest 1.3 patch for GOG (I have the Steam edition).
The issue becomes that when I play a modded map and then load up another modded map (or when I finish a modded map and then play vanilla), there is a high chance that my game will crash. I find the chance to be much higher on maps that have the most changes to sides (particularly Death Watch Bunker). Some modded maps I can't even play (The Last Hurrah of Mr. McCrayon crashes after 10 seconds).
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to fix this issue I have. I don't know if this is the culprit, but I am running Windows 10 which has been heard to cause issues with older games.
Any help would be graciously appreciated.
Thanks!
titanbass1
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Modded Maps Crash

Post by Maveritchell »

I don't think you're looking at a problem that has a known solution. You've correctly identified the cause of the issue, as I best understand it, and your only real recourse is to work around it.

You'll see it often with era mods, and with those I'd recommend to simply play one era at a time, but if it's individual maps like you describe? You may just simply have to restart the game if they crash like that.
titanbass1
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 1+2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by titanbass1 »

Is there a particular reason (and excuse my lack of modding knowledge) of why some modded maps and eras are more stable than others? Some mods make immense changes to the sides (Like MEU) and run fine while others make very little changes (Mr. McCrayon) and are unplayable.
Are most people running this game on a different operating system?
Thanks for the reply by the way.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

I could make a few guesses, but they'd be true guesses. It's not related to OS; I'm sure it's probably something to do with available game memory and what those specific mods/maps tap. If you were able to identify a pattern (I've never seen one, but I've never looked very hard), we might be able to give it a guess. Ultimately, that won't change anything, so either way you're stuck working around the situation.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

titanbass1 wrote:Is there a particular reason (and excuse my lack of modding knowledge) of why some modded maps and eras are more stable than others? Some mods make immense changes to the sides (Like MEU) and run fine while others make very little changes (Mr. McCrayon) and are unplayable.
There is no immediately clear answer like Mav said, but I can say with confidence that MEU would not be as stable as it is if it weren't for years of testing, polishing, pulling our hair out, careful scripting, and proper resource management in the back-end of things.