Custom Map Sides On Regular Maps?

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Custom Map Sides On Regular Maps?

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

I am unsure if this idea was ever tried or suggested in the years before I joined this website but I found an interesting concept that may be eye opening to some. So a few months back I had this idea that popped into my head, is it possible to extract the side files of a mod map & replace the regular sides with those mod map's side files to see if they are playable on the regular maps. I gave it a try one day and here were the results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVxob0343Zc
Calrissian97
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: ANF - ISM Skin Changer - BF1 Ports
Games I'm Playing :: All teh BFs

Re: Custom Map Sides On Regular Maps?

Post by Calrissian97 »

Besides era mods, you could do this but it's iffy. It depends on whether the lua calls for the correct troops for each side. If a custom side has a differently named unit, it might result in a crash. But if all the names are the same, it should work.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

That's correct. I did this once with an Bespin map. I didn't like the sides that came with the map. So i took a kashyyk map and used that units. luckily they both used the same names and it worked. But that's not usual. Almost all maps/mods that come with more then the default number of troopers won't work.
angolandelegate
Private Third Class
Projects :: BF2 Expanded The Post Endor Era
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF3 Legacy
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by angolandelegate »

I suppose you could always unmunge the custom side file to see what the ODFs for the soldiers are named, then just create your own modded scripts for the stock maps that call for those ODF names from the modded side file.