A tool that can detect when something isnt in use?

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

A tool that can detect when something isnt in use?

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Recently I got back into modding and realized I needed to do some back tracking to remove effects not in use. However its proven to be a very long task becuase I cant tell which effects are in use or which ones are just taking up space and not in use. I was wondering if there was an easier way to remove not-in use assets faster or if there was a current tool I could use that could just tell me whats in use and what isnt in my mod folder. I highly doubt there is, but I thought I would ask anyways.
hunpeter12
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Underground City The Complex [WIP]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: A tool that can detect when something isnt in use?

Post by hunpeter12 »

Someone with programming knowledge should write a program easily. The program has to look for non-commented-out mentions of the fx files in the odf files, then delete the ones which are not mentioned anywhere. Even if you read some documentation you could do it in an easy language e.g. VisualBasic.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

To clarify, you want to know which effects are loaded into memory but never actually seen during gameplay? AFAIK there aren't any with the stock assets. Given that this game is on both PC and consoles they would have optimized all builds to use the least amount of memory possible. Disabling things like unused effects, models, animations, etc, would be chief among optimizations. Obviously that doesn't apply to mods, so if you're talking about non-stock stuff that's a different story.

Just curious, why do you want to do that?
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Oh you see im revisiting my empire rising mod. I found an older build on a hard drive I had and im simply trying to get back on the train. So right now im pain-stakingly removing things that arn't in use like random fx files i didnt remove during the builds save. In general im just trying to make my file smaller.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Well I can save you some time. If you don't reference an FX inside and ODF file it won't get put into the final munge. It will get converted to the right format to go into the .lvl file, but REQ files are created by the munge and if that effect isn't referenced anywhere it won't get dumped into the .lvl file at the end.
Marvel4
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Marvel4s BF1 Conversion Pack + Era Mod

Post by Marvel4 »

What Teancum said. If you want to delete them anyway, use Notepad++ to search through all of your files at once. It's also a very helpful program in general.