Same team on both sides, but texture 1 team differently?

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

LordVGames
Private Recruit
Games I'm Playing :: BF2+a little of BF1

Same team on both sides, but texture 1 team differently?

Post by LordVGames »

For my mod, the sides are the same exact team. In fact, both sides use the 1 custom team files I've made. A problem with this, though, is that the unit textures are the same for both. So, my idea is to make alternate textures (the same but re-colored) and apply them to one team's units as override textures. I know override textures are used for different unit textures on certain maps, but is this possible to accomplish? Or will I have to make a copy of the team's files entirely, and go from there?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Re: Same team on both sides, but texture 1 team differently?

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

You'll have to create two sets of SIDE files and then edit the character MSH files in one of the sides to look for different texture names.

Example:
Edit rep_inf_ep3trooper.msh and change all of the texture file references from rep_inf_ep3trooper.tga to something else, like rep_inf_ep9trooper.tga
Then you'd take a copy of rep_inf_ep3trooper.tga and rename it to rep_inf_ep9trooper.tga

From here the clone trooper on each side would be using a different texture and you're free to edit each texture as you want.

If you want to go a step farther to ensure better functionality, edit rep_inf_ep3_rifleman.odf and change the MSH file references from rep_inf_ep3trooper.msh
You'd then take a copy of rep_inf_ep3trooper.msh and rename it to something else like rep_inf_ep9trooper.msh and make sure the ODF is referencing it.

At this point the normal side one would look like rep_inf_ep3_rifleman.odf > rep_inf_ep3trooper.msh > rep_inf_ep3trooper.tga
and the modded side would look like rep_inf_ep3_rifleman.odf > rep_inf_ep9trooper.msh > rep_inf_ep9trooper.tga
LordVGames
Private Recruit

Post by LordVGames »

AnthonyBF2 wrote:You'll have to create two sets of SIDE files and then edit the character MSH files in one of the sides to look for different texture names.

Example:
Edit rep_inf_ep3trooper.msh and change all of the texture file references from rep_inf_ep3trooper.tga to something else, like rep_inf_ep9trooper.tga
Then you'd take a copy of rep_inf_ep3trooper.tga and rename it to rep_inf_ep9trooper.tga

From here the clone trooper on each side would be using a different texture and you're free to edit each texture as you want.

If you want to go a step farther to ensure better functionality, edit rep_inf_ep3_rifleman.odf and change the MSH file references from rep_inf_ep3trooper.msh
You'd then take a copy of rep_inf_ep3trooper.msh and rename it to something else like rep_inf_ep9trooper.msh and make sure the ODF is referencing it.

At this point the normal side one would look like rep_inf_ep3_rifleman.odf > rep_inf_ep3trooper.msh > rep_inf_ep3trooper.tga
and the modded side would look like rep_inf_ep3_rifleman.odf > rep_inf_ep9trooper.msh > rep_inf_ep9trooper.tga
I was hoping there was an easier way, but oh well :)
I'll do something similar: copying/renaming each unit, making their alternate texture, and editing their ODFs to change their normal .msh texture to the new one, then adding them onto one team. I don't believe there's a limit to the amount of units that can be made and loaded into a mission, so...
Also, if you were to make a copy of the SIDE files, wouldn't you have to change the 3 letter name?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

You either have two SIDE files with different names or you can load differently titled classes (ODFS/REQS) from one SIDE file.
Also while it is true that you can load lots of classes, the display limit in the spawn menu is 10 per side, or 9 per side with a hero.
Sporadia
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently
Games I'm Playing :: None
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Sporadia »

Isn't the easiest thing to do just to make a new odf for each new textured character? The only thing that the new odf would need to contain is an override texture or a new character geometry if the msh doesn't have override texture set up (the latter would require a new altered msh for each texture). And then make the new odf use the old odf as a class parent. Making a new SIDE folder for reskins of the same units is overkill.
LordVGames
Private Recruit

Post by LordVGames »

Sporadia wrote:Isn't the easiest thing to do just to make a new odf for each new textured character? The only thing that the new odf would need to contain is an override texture or a new character geometry if the msh doesn't have override texture set up (the latter would require a new altered msh for each texture). And then make the new odf use the old odf as a class parent. Making a new SIDE folder for reskins of the same units is overkill.
Exactly. That's how I did it.