(FAQ) Tentative custom ambient music tutorial

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Re: (FAQ) Tentative custom ambient music tutorial

Post by Frisbeetarian »

Woops, the way he asked the question, assuming he looked into it, implied that it is for BF1, so I didn't check on it.
computergeek
General
General
Projects :: Halo Warthog vehicle for SWBF2
Games I'm Playing :: Bioware RPGs - Halo
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by computergeek »

I can't understand from those posts, is there a way to make sound lvls using the BF2 modtools?
If so how? is it the same process?
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: AotC DoW+++Boonta Eve Classic
Games I'm Playing :: WoT MBWBVC Robocraft

Post by Jaspo »

edit: I figured out my problem so I removed all my troubleshooting info, but I'll keep this:

p.s. you can't find this anywhere apparently so I'll do you a favor (I got lucky in figuring this out)...the sounds for the doors can be added like so:

#ifplatform xbox pc
..\..\gcw\effects\door_open.wav -resample xbox 22050 pc 44100
..\..\gcw\effects\door_close.wav -resample xbox 22050 pc 44100
#endifplatform xbox pc

Anyway, the key to getting this whole process to work is removing those //comments that Mav put in there...well, before you munge anyway. They keep the sound from working ingame.

Also, you shouldn't have any problem getting sound to munge with the BF2 tools if you use Rend's or PsychoFred's soundmunge.bat fix and also fix up the soundmungedir.bat so it munges .stm:

to quote Majin Revan's sound tut:
1. Go to BF2_ModToolsdata and open up soundmungedir.bat (right-click and choose Edit).

2. Find this line:
Code:
@for /R %%A in (*.sfx) do @echo Munging %%~nA%%~xA & @soundflmunge -platform %4 -banklistinput %%A -bankoutput %MUNGEDIR% %CHECKDATE% -resample %CHECKID% noabort %SOUNDOPT% %BANKOPT% 2>>%MUNGE_LOG% 1>>%SOUNDLOGOUT%

3. Under that line, [paste] this:
Code:
@for /R %%A in (*.asfx) do @echo Munging %%~nA%%~xA & @soundflmunge -platform %4 -banklistinput %%A -bankoutput %MUNGEDIR% %CHECKDATE% -resample -checkid noabort %SOUNDOPT% 2>>%MUNGE_LOG% 1>>%SOUNDLOGOUT%
except that for streams it has to be "*.stm" where the "*.asfx" is.
Last edited by Jaspo on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obiboba3po
2008 Most Technically Challenging Avatar
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by obiboba3po »

er this is sorta random, but i've been meaning to ask this for a long time. what do the specifics
352 kbps, 16 bit, mono, 22 kHz PCM mode
mean? i know what kbps is, dunno what the others are and how to assure that my files fit the reqs.
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: AotC DoW+++Boonta Eve Classic
Games I'm Playing :: WoT MBWBVC Robocraft

Post by Jaspo »

mono means that there is only 1 channel in the sound file (in other words, the same sound comes out of every speaker, rather than the bass and drums being on the left, melody on the right (or whatever)...as for the other stuff, idk, except that the fewer the bits, the worse the quality, and Hz is a measure of frequency--so probably the number of sound samples per second (and by golly, that's a lot, no wonder it sounds like music) Not sure what PCM mode is, but actually I'm not convinced that battlefront is too incredibly picky...16 bit mono 352 kbps are probably the most important qualifications, but I'm really not sure. Aside from that, I've found that battlefront plays music quite a bit more quietly than it plays in, say, Windows Media Player, so you'll need to start with fairly loud music.
Fierfek
High General
High General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: Somewhere in the Galaxy (Most Likely Scrapping Tinnies)

Problem Munging Custom Ambient Music

Post by Fierfek »

I am following Mav's tutorial on custom music.
I copy the folder I download into the correct BF1 tools folder, then copy my music (converted correctly) into the streams folder in there.
Then I munge. It stops at munging mvs. When I exit the munge log, the munge stops abruptly, and there is no sound file in my addon folder.
So what do I do?

Or, if you are feeling kind, you could download this:
http://megafileupload.com/en/file/132360/music-zip.html
and do it for me.
fasty
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Server modding
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Tentative custom ambient music.

Post by fasty »

I am having some trouble understanding Mav's "(FAQ) Tentative custom ambient music tutorial". Specifically, step's four and nine. It must be a SWBF1 thing because, I don't have a "BFBuilder" and a "BFBuilder folder". I can't find the "efx.lvl" that I am supposedly able to find in there. Could someone clarify this for me?
Thanks

I didn't feel like bumping the FAQ, so here is the link to it:
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 27&t=12236
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Tentative custom ambient music.

Post by Maveritchell »

From step one:
Download the BF1 Modtools. I can't make custom ambient music munge in the BF2 tools, even with the fixed munge.bat and soundmungedir.bat (+etc.).
You seem to have missed the first step.

You can munge sounds in the SWBF2 tools as well, but you'll have to make modifications to batch files, and for someone new to sounds it is easier to just munge them with the SWBF1 tools. Make sure you read the steps of the tutorial carefully.
fasty
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by fasty »

Ohhh I get it; I apparently misunderstood that part. The BF1 mod tools will work for BF2? Interesting. Thanks Mav, hopefully I don't have to post another question about this on here. :) Nice tutorial by the way.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

fasty wrote:The BF1 mod tools will work for BF2?
They don't work for everything, but the sound .lvl files are compiled exactly the same, and a sound .lvl that works in SWBF1 works in SWBF2 just fine.
Culvar
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by Culvar »

I'm sorry if this is obvious, but where do you put your .wav files at?
Zango
Private Recruit

Post by Zango »

Hey, pardon the maybe-bump, but is it me, or is the file screwed up somehow? When I download it, it shows up as 0 KB and according to .winrar, there's nothing in it. I tried re-downloading it, but the .zip is still empty.
fasty
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by fasty »

Zango wrote:Hey, pardon the maybe-bump, but is it me, or is the file screwed up somehow? When I download it, it shows up as 0 KB and according to .winrar, there's nothing in it. I tried re-downloading it, but the .zip is still empty.
:cpu:
This happens sometimes. Here you go I re-uploaded it.
http://www.filefront.com/17176452/EFX.zip
Zango
Private Recruit

Post by Zango »

fasty wrote:
Zango wrote:Hey, pardon the maybe-bump, but is it me, or is the file screwed up somehow? When I download it, it shows up as 0 KB and according to .winrar, there's nothing in it. I tried re-downloading it, but the .zip is still empty.
:cpu:
This happens sometimes. Here you go I re-uploaded it.
http://www.filefront.com/17176452/EFX.zip
Dunkishun senor!

EDIT: I have the same problem Fierfek had. It's probably because I put the music in the same spot he did, but I kind of assumed he was right, and as the tutorial makes no mention of where to even put your files, I just kind'a put them where he put them. So, do the files go there, and if they do, how would I fix this?

EDIT2: Well, I realized that I shouldn't have the BFbuilder in a diectory with spaces, so I moved it but now I get these munge errors:
Hidden/Spoiler:
soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to open file Streams\music1.wav - while munging C:\ProgramData\BFBuilder\DataEFX\Sound\worlds\EFX\efxcw_music.stm
soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to open file Streams\music1.wav, format may be invalid - while munging C:\ProgramData\BFBuilder\DataEFX\Sound\worlds\EFX\efxcw_music.stm
soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to read file list C:\ProgramData\BFBuilder\DataEFX\Sound\worlds\EFX\efxcw_music.stm - while munging C:\ProgramData\BFBuilder\DataEFX\Sound\worlds\EFX\efxcw_music.stm
soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to open file Streams\music1.wav - while munging C:\ProgramData\BFBuilder\DataEFX\Sound\worlds\EFX\efxcw_music.stm
soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to open file Streams\music1.wav, format may be invalid - while munging C:\ProgramData\BFBuilder\DataEFX\Sound\worlds\EFX\efxcw_music.stm
soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to read file list C:\ProgramData\BFBuilder\DataEFX\Sound\worlds\EFX\efxcw_music.stm - while munging C:\ProgramData\BFBuilder\DataEFX\Sound\worlds\EFX\efxcw_music.stm
Snork
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Minecraft

Post by Snork »

Approximately how long total should all the music be? I wanna use a 10 minute song and I'm unsure if that would be too long or something
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Snork wrote:Approximately how long total should all the music be? I wanna use a 10 minute song and I'm unsure if that would be too long or something
Try it and find out. There's no hard limit, but there's always economy to consider. You'll have an awfully large file with a ten-minute song, and I really can't think of anything that would justify that much for a single map.
Snork
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Minecraft

Post by Snork »

Alrighty, thanks. :)
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

A ten-minute long stream of music will just take up about 7 to 8 MB. Not too large, I don't think.
Dakota
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: making random weapon assets
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and more
xbox live or psn: PS3 beats xbox

Post by Dakota »

ok i have finnaly got a working link but now... i can't get the sound folder to munge. can't get past the first part of the tutorail without getting the folder munged.

can someone help. i notice about 3 other people had a problem with this too in this thread but no one came up with an answer. maybe now that its been a year or two someone has come up with something.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

The tutorial says to use the SWBF1 mod tools. Are you?

Alternatively, you can use the SWBF2 mod tools instead. Just follow the following two tutorials in the order presented first before attempting to add custom music:

http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... =27&t=4750
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... =27&t=6166