BF2 Limitations (FAQ)

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Re: BF2 Limitations (FAQ)

Post by Fiodis »

Oh, heh, silly me. Forgot we were counting pages, not posts. The number just stuck out at me....
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

I really miss the ability to lock on targets with the rocket launcher, but I suppose that can be easily done.

Edit: Sorry Fiodis, I wasn't sure it could be, or at least not the same way as in BF1.
Last edited by Jendo7 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Fiodis »

This thread is for discussing limitations, you know - if you think something can be easily done (as indeed that can) why post it here?
Battleffront_Conquer
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Battleffront_Conquer »

I have noticed that with the recon droids they're original explosion cant be removed (I think)
Also as of yet I have not seen any other 'spawnable unit' other than the acklay to have accurate collision when the character is larger than twice the size of a normal trooper.

If anyone has proof that these are wrong please say so cause These have been my largest problem thanks
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

about the acklay: size matters not! it depends on how big the skeleton is scaled you could theoretically make a unit 10times the size of a normal unit without collision problems as long as it has a skeleton that large
but you could say that when you scale a model bigger via msh.option with a factor larger than 2 the collision will stop working
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Fiodis »

What do you mean about the recon droid? I haven't tried it, but the droid's explosion is an odf file sitting right there in the assets and so ought to be easily edited.
Battleffront_Conquer
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Battleffront_Conquer »

DarthD.U.C.K. wrote:about the acklay: size matters not! it depends on how big the skeleton is scaled you could theoretically make a unit 10times the size of a normal unit without collision problems as long as it has a skeleton that large
but you could say that when you scale a model bigger via msh.option with a factor larger than 2 the collision will stop working
I thought the same thing, I made the skeleton of a unit about 3 times larger than normal using XSI and the collision sits between his legs, shooting anywhere else does nothing, shots just pass right through him...

I have attempted to use the Acklay skeleton but couldnt actually test it due to the time limit with XSI
Master_Ben
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Location: Watching your PC over your shoulder. No, the other sholder....

Limitations

Post by Master_Ben »

BF2 Limitations wrote:Every dispensable turret on the map uses the same weapon as the last loaded dispensable turret in the Lua.
What does this mean exactly? What/when is a dispensable turret loaded in the lua?

I'm creating a dispensable turret that will in turn dispense another, different, autoturret, and I'm having trouble with getting the second one to go. I assume that this is the culprit.

Any help? Thanks.

Topic merged -Staff
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Re: Limitations

Post by Fiodis »

That is the problem. Look at your lua. Whichever one is loaded last in the ReadDataFile sides section, the weapon of that one is what every other turret will use. Sky had a workaround for this by loading all his turrets from a turret side.
Master_Ben
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Master_Ben »

Alright, thanks. I'm still a bit confused, though. When you say, "whichever one is loaded last," what does the "one" refer to? The last loaded turret? And how would loading all the turrets from a turret side change anything? I'm only loading them from one side as it is. Thanks. :)

Off-Topic: Fiodis, I just discovered that you joined GT exactly 23 minutes before I did. :shock:

EDIT: Never mind, scrolled down in the limitations thread and saw more info. I understand it now.
Last edited by Master_Ben on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAMofBIA
Major General
Major General
Projects :: Nothing....nothing at all.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by SAMofBIA »

funny this should pop up, because not a month ago, i was fiddling around (as usual) and discovered that when i tried to make a turret spawn a turret, (autoturret that is), it could not as it messed up the munge. now i know why exactly.
Master_Ben
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Master_Ben »

Actually, I'm still having problems. I assumed from what sky said in the limitations thread that all I would have to do is add an req file in my rep side folder, add it to the rep.req, and load it in ReadDataFile, but it's not working. Am I missing something?
skelltor
Sith
Sith
Projects :: BFSM
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII
xbox live or psn: skelltor95

Post by skelltor »

The auto turret can't have a class parent Sky told me and it works great in bfsm :D
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: AotC DoW+++Boonta Eve Classic
Games I'm Playing :: WoT MBWBVC Robocraft

Post by Jaspo »

New one I discovered making Extended Galactic Conquest, unless there's a memory pool that I don't know about:
Only 50 lanes can be drawn between planets in galactic conquest. More can be scripted, but no more than 50 will appear.
If someone knows that this is not a hard coded limitation, please let us know how to increase it, for future reference if nothing else.

Other galactic conquest things that for all I know (which really isn't much) cannot be changed:
-number and location of planet nodes (locations on the map) Edit: False: These locations are simply determined by the original position of planet entities in the GAL map. The CreateEntity command can be used to increase the number of planets and to offset their locations relative to an existing location.
-audio strings
-planet models (the location and assignment of these can change though) Note that the Tantive IV and Death Star both have models which can be used (but there are no star system models for these) Edit:There's also the Mon Calamari Star Cruiser and Star Destroyer models which can be duplicated and used as planet models (not the icon ones; the ones that are used to depict space battles)...and also there's larger planet models for the two moons--Endor and Yavin IV--which could feasably be used for other planets, though both are gas giants. Yavin would make a good Bespin, I suppose.
-that pesky Yavin IV model showing up in every star system--or is there a way to get rid of it? Why is it there? I think I noticed that Mav hasn't been able to solve that problem either.
-I think only 1 base planet for each team. Having more than one causes, at a bare minimum, graphical issues. But from what I remember there were more problems with it than just that.
-The location of extra suns, such as the binaries for the Tatooine and Geonosis systems.

Galactic conquest things that aren't hard coded:
-location of stock planets, stars, new planets
-number and location of connections between planets
-which mission(s) are launched for a planet (modes other than conquest are allowed!)
-localization of (just non-stock or all?) planetnames and descriptions...keep in mind that a new entity could use a stock mission, so that means you can at least create the appearance of relocalizing a stock location, even if you physically cannot make localization planetname entry "nab" be localized as "Loronar", for example.
-location of zoom cameras used with planets (though these can tend to be tricky to set up, and usually it's necessary to use CreateEntity to offset the camera location by -1, or else the camera will fly through/past the planet it is assigned to)
-location of star systems used with planets

I assume that Zerted could confirm or deny most of this info.
I may well be overlooking some things, too.
off topic: I frequently get a light bloom glitch in galactic conquest, what causes this? Edit: Solved: this is caused by creating a new planet at a star's location and not deleting the star. Kind of like Z-fighting.
Last edited by Jaspo on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Fiodis »

Good to know, Jaspo. :) Can you change the ship models used? I think the Convo Pack team did for KotOR GC, but I'm not sure.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Is the limit on the number of teams really nine for certain? My attempts to adding just an eighth team results in a crash without any significant messages in the error log. Unless there is a special of doing it, is there? Any help or explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.
fasty
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Server modding
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by fasty »

I've had nine working teams before. The more teams you have, the less stable it will be online, obviously.

Speculation:
Perhaps the number of units on the teams make a difference.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Could the number of AI Goals could be hitting a limit?
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

yes, it is 19, accroding to zerted in this thread
[RDH]Zerted wrote:Make sure to clean out old AI goals as the game has a max goal limit (19).
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

There would have been only eight goals at a given time (one per team) had I implemented the eighth team. This isn't meant for online, so online stability shouldn't be something to worry about. I'm setting the majority of these teams up for unit-specific (one unit class per team) ambushes, and the nine teams limit fitted my plan just fine until I ran into this problem. Hmm, so what else could the problem be? Some kind memory pool maybe? How about variables for these teams? Could team "0" be a team (haven't tried yet)? Any further help or explanations would be appreciated. Thanks so far, guys.

EDIT: D'oh! Team "0" is obviously neutral. :oops: Anyway, I still haven't gotten the eighth team to work yet, but I did find that there is a limit on the number of text characters/spaces combination that can go into a "popuptext" message. The number is fairly reasonable (not sure about the exact count), but exceeding this limit crashes the game without any related error messages that I know of. The crash occurs the moment right before the popup appears.