Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions and links to tutorials or guides and helpful information.
Please read all or as much as you can, even if you don't need to know something now, you may need to know it later.
The documentation that comes with the BF2_modtools should always be the first place to look for information.
The listings in this thread include keywords, you can use your browser to search (ctrl+f) the page and find them quickly.
If you don't see what you're looking for here please use the Search function or Google to search this site.
The SWBF2 Modding forum has over 400 pages of information; your questions have likely been answered many times before.
Q & A:
Question #1 - Where can I download the ModTools?
Answer - The Battlefront 2 ModTools can be found on ModDB, MediaFire or Gamefront.online
Question #2 - How do you install mods for BF2?
Answer - Open the file you downloaded (i.e. the .zip, .rar, .7z file) and extract the 3-letter ID folder to this location:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\addon
If the addon folder does not exist then create one inside of your GameData folder.
Always read the README file contained in the map/mod archive, if there is one, since it may explain special instructions for that particular installation.
Question #3 - I've installed a mod map, but when I go to add it to a playlist it shows up as %ABC%, what's wrong?
Answer - Install the v1.1 patch found on ModDB, or MediaFire
Question #4 - I have the CD version of SWBF2 and I get a binkw32.dll error when trying to launch the BF2_modtools.exe, what's wrong?
Answer - The BF2_modtools.exe is the debug executable, copy it from C:\BF2_ModTools and paste it in the same folder as your BattlefrontII.exe, usually:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData
you can launch BF2_modtools.exe and play your map, then exit or let it crash to generate a BFront2.log located in that same folder.
If you encounter a "Please insert CD 1" dialog or have the DVD or digital download version of SWBF2, use the modified BF2_modtools.exe from HERE or HERE.
Note to Vista users:
If you can't find your BFront2.log it may be saved to this location:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData
or click on the Compatibility Files button in the GameData folder.
Question #5 - Does Star Wars Battlefront II work with Windows Vista/7/8.x/10?
Answer - Yes it does.
Question #6 - I'm using Windows Vista/7/8.x/10 and I munged my new map, but it isn't showing up here:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\Addon
so where is it?
Answer - Your newly munged map might have been copied to this location:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\Addon
or click on the Compatibility Files button in the Addon folder.
To enable VisualMunge access to your Battlefront folder, use this tutorial.
Question #7 - I'm using Windows Vista/7/8.x/10 and Visual Munge is not working properly, it's munging too fast, what's wrong?
Answer - Try THIS munge fix or the Fixed and improved munge files to get it working properly.
Question #8 - Can you make new maps for the PS2?
Answer - No, the ModTools did not ship with all of the files required for making a new map for PS2.
Question #9 - Where can I download the Conversion Pack?
Answer - Currently, the newest version can be found HERE
Question #10 - Where can I download that free-looking camera thing without the HUD?
Answer - It's called the Free Camera, and you can download it HERE or with the FC Mod
Question #11 - What is a full or manual clean and how do I do it?
Answer - The tutorial on manual cleans can be found HERE
Question #12 - With the demise of GameSpy, how can I play SWBF2 multiplayer now?
Answer - There are some options listed HERE.
- Star Wars Battlefront II Mod Tools
- Star Wars Battlefront I Modding Tools
- psych0fred's Battlefront Modders Message Board
- Getting started with the modtools and ZeroEditor
- Getting started with the modtools (video tutorial)
- SW Battlefront Modding wiki
- BF1 FAQ Thread
ZeroEditor / Mapping
- ZeroEditor Runtime error (XP,Vista,Windows 7/8.x/10)
- Correctly using sky settings (BF1)
- Changing Terrain/Map Size
- How to: Custom Flyer Domes
- How to change the height of spawn paths/nodes
- "Leaving Battlefield!" message How-to (or how to set up a boundary)
- Adding a Hunt mode to your map -By Saitek009
- How to add Hunt mode (by 1z2x3c)
- CTF (1 and 2 flag) tutorial
- Terrain brightness
- How to make a teleporter
- How to make a teleporter (revised code by Zerted)
- How to set up deathregions
- Hubs and Connections tut
- Planning, Barriers and Hintnodes Tutorials (in-depth explanations)
- How to edit a shipped map
- How to set up AI ambush
- ZeroEditor Animation
- ZeroEditor Undocumented
- CP message code (Rebels captured blah blah)
- How to add water to your map
- Minimap Tutorial
- Adding shadows tutorial
- How to remove an era
- Running ZeroEditor with 3DAnalyze
- Random Sky/Fx/Lighting Tutorial
- Adding shipped vehicles to your map
- Setting up Flyer splines
- How to add rain to your map
- How to add a sun to your map
- How to add fog to your map
- How to add snow to your map
- How to make a volcano
- Customize your Command Posts
- List of sky file parameters
- How to set opening satellite shots
- How to get Portals and Sectors recognized ingame
- Level Design Guidelines
- Custom side: How to
- How to add local sides
- Custom first person
- Implementing Custom First Person Animations
- Scaling up animations
- How to munge a new animation set
- Attaching a BF1 Cape to a BF2 Character
- Using the same model, but with different textures. (simple hex-editing)
- How to get the sith trooper working
- How to fix the SBD Chunk's
- Custom cockpits
- Character-Hero list
- Jedi creation guide (.combo creation)
- Reducing file size
- How to reduce side file size
- Aaylas tentacles
- How to add transparency to cloth
- Era/Mode Side Mod Tutorial
- "Era-Mod" list (and what letters they use).
- How to make side changes to a shipped mission
- Notepad++ , SciTE , PSPad (view/edit ODF, LUA, REQ files etc)
- ODF Parameters for SWBF2
- How to make vehicles into props
- Dann's ODF for Dummies Guide
- Weapons sharing ammo
- cis_hover_aat ODF with comments
- Animatedprops Tutorial
- ODF, Weapon, Vehicle, Soldier etc. Guides and Tricks
- How to push objects
- Short walkthrough on Vehicle Positions
- How to set more than 32 AI at once (or enabling Ubermode)
- How to add more than 6 unit classes
- LUA Functions
- LUA Callback Reference
- How to create a timer
- Mission Scripting utility
- How to use SetProperty/SetClassProperty
- Force player into vehicle
- How to use ActivateBonus
- OnEnterRegion function example
- How to change the maximum height of your map
- Trigger animation on destruction of object
- BF2 Mission scripting tutorial
- Discussion on SWBF2 mission scripts and Lua 5.0
- Making side changes through LUA scripting
- How to add random AI controlled heroes to your map
- Random Sides Script
- Cycle player models
- How to create AI-Controlled spawned units
- SetMemoryPoolSize list
- Re-Texturing Stock Maps Through LUA
- How to use CreateMatrix
- Keeping dead bodies from disappearing
- How to change your units' gravity settings
- Custom Galactic Conquest
- Custom Campaign Setup
- Saving and loading data
- addme fix for mods that add new game modes to existing maps
- Vehicle mode code
- Interface scripting
- How to use the Lua Development Tools for SWBF2
- XVI32 (Free Hex Editor)
- MSH file information
- Using TRAN in msh files
- How to hex edit cloth (or any MODL chunk) from one unit to another [Simplified]
- How to hex edit cloth (or any MODL chunk) from one unit to another
- How to hex edit addons (MODL chunks) to player models
- Inside Edit Flags
- Discussion on SWBF2 Textures and Models
- How to hex edit a msh to enable transparency
- MeshTool beta 4 (converts msh files to obj with UVs)
- MshEx Beta 3 (converts .xsi 6.0 files to msh)
- SWBF MSH Viewer (also converts msh files to vrml 2.0 and vice-versa)
- How to change the scale of a msh file
- How to use Blender to make SWBF series models
- XSI FAQ
Texture editing / implementing
- GIMP, Paint.NET (Free image editors)
- How to work with alpha channels in GIMP (video tutorial on YouTube)
- Dealing with alpha channels in GIMP (written tutorial with images)
- Making dirty textures with GIMP
- The Complete texturing tutorial
- How to get new textures ingame
- Beginners Guide for editing Ep3 Trooper textures
- Texturing Tips
- Plain white Ep3 trooper (useful for templating) credit DFYX
- Audacity (Free sound editor)
- Stock SWBF 1 & 2 music, sounds and voiceovers
- Custom ambient music tutorial
- Custom Ambient Sound Streams: Creation & Implementation
- Adding custom sound effects and streams tutorial by Vyse
- How to add custom sounds
- How to add missing shipped sounds
- How to add missing sounds without creating a new .lvl
- SWBF2 (or 1) sounds overview
- Sound Research & Information
HUD / Shell
- Fix for Floating Weapon Icons
- Zerted's Loadscreen Utility
- Custom Loading Screens: How To Video
- Loadscreen in all modes
- How to modify the HUD
- How to fully customize the HUD
- Iron Sight Tutorial
- How to make a custom shell mod
- How to get a custom font working
- Using the Localize Tool
- Localizing Locals
- Fully Localized 3rd Side (Non-Local)
- How to add custom tips to loading screen
- How to change mapname and/or 3 line world description
- How to get PE to work
- psych0fred's BF2_ParticleEditorUpdate
- Particle Editor update (Sept 1st 2007)
- Basic Operations
- How to attach an effect to an object without hardpoints
- How to remove guardian/war hero award effects
- How to make a Space Conquest map
- How to change the sky in space maps
- How to fix the backward space icons, vo, & text
- Destroy frigate turrets on destruction of frigate
- How to place capital ships on "ground" maps
- Fix to Linked Destroyables
- Adding landing regions to additional Capital ships
- Tools to add capital ships quickly
- How to make moving capital ships & other cool tricks
- How to make AI land in hangars
Project Management / Debugging
- BF2 Limitations
- How to get a debug log (BFront2.log) file
- Using the BF2Modtools.exe debug interface
- How to customize your debug executable
- How to make an installer for your map
- Making your map pack run from 1 three letter folder in the addon folder
- How to munge your project manually (without VM)
- Using a Linter ("spellchecking" for Lua script)
- How to monitor the contents of BFront2.log in real-time
- How to set up source control for Battlefront mods (SVN)