The FAQ / Everything You Need Thread Version 3.0

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

The FAQ / Everything You Need Thread Version 3.0

Post by Teancum »

This topic is the HQ for information posted by SWBF2 modders here at Gametoast.
Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions and links to tutorials or guides and helpful information.
Please read all or as much as you can, even if you don't need to know something now, you may need to know it later.
The documentation that comes with the BF2_modtools should always be the first place to look for information.

The listings in this thread include keywords, you can use your browser to search (ctrl+f) the page and find them quickly.
If you don't see what you're looking for here please use the Search function or Google to search this site.
The SWBF2 Modding forum has over 400 pages of information; your questions have likely been answered many times before.

Q & A:

Question #1 - Where can I download the ModTools?
Answer - The Battlefront 2 ModTools can be found on ModDB, MediaFire or Gamefront.online

Question #2 - How do you install mods for BF2?
Answer - Open the file you downloaded (i.e. the .zip, .rar, .7z file) and extract the 3-letter ID folder to this location:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\addon
If the addon folder does not exist then create one inside of your GameData folder.
Always read the README file contained in the map/mod archive, if there is one, since it may explain special instructions for that particular installation.

Question #3 - I've installed a mod map, but when I go to add it to a playlist it shows up as %ABC%, what's wrong?
Answer - Install the v1.1 patch found on ModDB, or MediaFire

Question #4 - I have the CD version of SWBF2 and I get a binkw32.dll error when trying to launch the BF2_modtools.exe, what's wrong?
Answer - The BF2_modtools.exe is the debug executable, copy it from C:\BF2_ModTools and paste it in the same folder as your BattlefrontII.exe, usually:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData
you can launch BF2_modtools.exe and play your map, then exit or let it crash to generate a BFront2.log located in that same folder.
If you encounter a "Please insert CD 1" dialog or have the DVD or digital download version of SWBF2, use the modified BF2_modtools.exe from HERE or HERE.

Note to Vista users:
If you can't find your BFront2.log it may be saved to this location:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData
or click on the Compatibility Files button in the GameData folder.

Question #5 - Does Star Wars Battlefront II work with Windows Vista/7/8.x/10?
Answer - Yes it does.

Question #6 - I'm using Windows Vista/7/8.x/10 and I munged my new map, but it isn't showing up here:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\Addon
so where is it?
Answer - Your newly munged map might have been copied to this location:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\Addon
or click on the Compatibility Files button in the Addon folder.
To enable VisualMunge access to your Battlefront folder, use this tutorial.

Question #7 - I'm using Windows Vista/7/8.x/10 and Visual Munge is not working properly, it's munging too fast, what's wrong?
Answer - Try THIS munge fix or the Fixed and improved munge files to get it working properly.

Question #8 - Can you make new maps for the PS2?
Answer - No, the ModTools did not ship with all of the files required for making a new map for PS2.

Question #9 - Where can I download the Conversion Pack?
Answer - Currently, the newest version can be found HERE

Question #10 - Where can I download that free-looking camera thing without the HUD?
Answer - It's called the Free Camera, and you can download it HERE or with the FC Mod

Question #11 - What is a full or manual clean and how do I do it?
Answer - The tutorial on manual cleans can be found HERE

Question #12 - With the demise of GameSpy, how can I play SWBF2 multiplayer now?
Answer - There are some options listed HERE.

Getting Started

ZeroEditor / Mapping

Sides

ODF

LUA

Model (msh)

Texture editing / implementing

Sound

HUD / Shell

Localize

Particle Effects

Space