Adding new stuff with hexediting?

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Darthlarrious

Post by Darthlarrious »

but then again, we can all start hex-editing, but one thing that i've learned while hex-editing, is MAKE BACKUPS, i must of had to hove re-installed demo's and games 5 times in the past 4 days, and it gets annoying :p.

The scripting cannot be that hard, they all look the same, just get familiar with the script in swbf, the engine for SWBF II is said to be the same as SWBF I.

So lets get modding gtpwn

Metal On

Darthlarrious
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by ShadowHawk »

Nim, you get that working, I will be praising you 'til the ends of the earth. That will greatly reduce map debugging time and space. Great idea. :)
Bobafett16

Post by Bobafett16 »

well am i glad that the great brains are working on stuff! keeps my hopes up! :)
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Nimlot wrote:Replacing textures and models should be easy, lua's might not be too hard if its set up like SWBF1 was.
Do you mean you know the LUA language ? And how to decompile scripts which are munged into SWBF's *.LVL files ? :D
Blackrider

Post by Blackrider »

as for the cockpit veiw yo could just take pictures of the inside exhept for stuff we already have like the x-wing and stuff and we all kno that i have a picture 9of an arc 170 cockpit
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

I've learned that all cockpit-views will be shipped with SWBF II... (For all vehicles, like the ARC-170 or others...)
But do not forget I might be wrong... :?
Blackrider

Post by Blackrider »

man i really hope your right. I mean why did we think they would take it out i mean its so random
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

As for me, first-person view for vehicles will be present in SWBF II... After all - as you said - why would Pandemic have removed it from this game ? It would have no sense !...
Lead_Pilot
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by Lead_Pilot »

It made no sense to remove prone, but they did....Though I can't stand SWBF2 without cockpit views!
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

You're not alone, you know ? We just have to hope cockpit view will return sooner or later... :?
TAW_pinx

Direct me towards Hex info.?

Post by TAW_pinx »

Hey guys, I'm having trouble finding tutorials/info. on Hex editing. It doesn't seem to be in the SWBF2 portion of the forums?

Can someone direct me where to go to find the info.?

Thanks!
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

RE: Direct me towards Hex info.?

Post by Leviathan »

The hex-editing is a large domain. In fact, you won't be able to learn all its specificities, and moreover, it'll depend of what you want to tweak through this method...
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

Pinx I use ultraedit32 freeware (google it).

I open up the .lvl files for swbf2 and look for things like vehicle or cps and simply copy and paste words over the exisitng (making sure to keep a backup of originals)

In most cases the words need to be the same length , so you can copy inf_wookie_rebelassmaster over say something like inf_wookie_reb , if there are more characters in a level file then when you started it will most likely crash to desktop.

so 1st get the app, then go look at the files. You can experiment and post on the site and we can feedback you if your new to hex editing.

Another secret i use is when i want to put a smaller name in a place of a larger one I fill the blank spots with 00000 (zeroz which as youll see in hex are periods ....) these keep the file at exactly the release size.
TAW_pinx

Post by TAW_pinx »

Cool - thanks Guru, definitely some key info. to start with. The only thing I've edited, I believe are the money you start with for the Sims - lmao. I couldn't get into so I thought I'd see if I could with more money. Nope.

I think I used HexEditor last time, but I'll go grab ultraedit32 and play around with that for a while.
BTW, was there not a tutorial or something by Eddie on the GT site before or am I crazy?

Come on the TAW servers boys - there's a ton of people and I think we have all game modes up...

EDIT: Just realized that was a shameless self promotion....sorry. :P

Cheers
yodaminch

Post by yodaminch »

could someone either give me a copy of an unaltered mission.lvl or give me the piece from the coruscant map with mace and maul as heroes. I made an error and can't reverse it easily and i accidentily overwrote my unaltered mission.lvl

Edit. Nevermind. I fixed it.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

yeah 1st step , make backups :)

np, taw is welcome to post semi spams here , they my buds and I know they are a huge part of the swbf1 and 2 world!

See you in the battlefield , im having so much fun playing , modding is taking a backseat , lol.
TAW_pinx

Post by TAW_pinx »

Cool Guru - I didn't mean to spam per se, but I thought I'd put the word out on our servers, we usually have 4 or 5 up at once and you can usually find one of us playing around. We also have one server that's usually Hunt/Celeb DM only...

Good times with Bandu and geoman last night on the TAW servers...except when the other team couldn't spawn...lmao

I'm the same right now, it's hard to put the game down and try the hex stuff...there's still so much to learn as far as classes and maps...they did well with this product, but I would have liked to see Cloud City changed to be more accurate instead of Felucia...everything else is very cool though...
Riley75

Post by Riley75 »

Nimlot sent me over the mission.lvl from the demo (neither of us have bought BF2 yet). I just wanted to mention that they are using Lua 5.0 now for the scripts. And the actual mission scripts look like they let you do much more than before.

Nimlot pointed out that there is an open-source project called LuaDec that decompiles Lua 5.0 code. I'll be putting together a byte-by-byte description of the Lua 5 byte-code format; and will be testing out the use of LuaDec on some of the BF2 scripts.