Terrain Tips For a New Modder?

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

TheCrazyPumpkin
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Terrain Tips For a New Modder?

Post by TheCrazyPumpkin »

So i'm relatively new to modding Battlefront II, I know the basics like lua scripting and map making and what not, however, the problem i'm having is with the terrain. I've done a bit of map making in the past but that was on a 2D landscape, and working in 3D space is well, quite challenging. I've read up on how to use the tools in ZeroEditor, however every time i start creating terrain, no mater wit what tool, it always ends up blocky or cylindrical. For my current map, i'm trying to get some snowy mountains in, but i'm having a hard time succeeding. they look more like big fat hills. Is there any sort of detailed techniques I can learn to help create more better looking map? Any help will be appreciated!
CdtFox
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: BUC and Designated Days
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+EAW+Subnautica

Re: Terrain Tips For a New Modder?

Post by CdtFox »

Did you use the Blend tool?
Hidden/Spoiler:
GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by GAB »

Using the blend tool like CdtFox said above (assuming you didn't use it) is a good way towards making a nice terrain.

It is also helpful to use the raise mode. It is very useful for small and delicate touches. Also, changing the size of your brush according to the task at hand helps a lot as well.

Overall however, don't expect to get awesome sculptures with ZeroEditor. It does the job with simple elevations changes but since the resolution of the terrain is fairly low, anything too complex will probably not look as good as one might wish. At this point, it might be better to make your terrain using a 3D modeling program, but that is a whole different topic.
TheCrazyPumpkin
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II

Post by TheCrazyPumpkin »

CdtFox wrote:Did you use the Blend tool?
Hidden/Spoiler:
I have been using all the tools available including the blend, I guess ill try using it more though.
GAB wrote:Using the blend tool like CdtFox said above (assuming you didn't use it) is a good way towards making a nice terrain.

It is also helpful to use the raise mode. It is very useful for small and delicate touches. Also, changing the size of your brush according to the task at hand helps a lot as well.

Overall however, don't expect to get awesome sculptures with ZeroEditor. It does the job with simple elevations changes but since the resolution of the terrain is fairly low, anything too complex will probably not look as good as one might wish. At this point, it might be better to make your terrain using a 3D modeling program, but that is a whole different topic.
and i haven't tried using the raise tool, so ill give that a shot.

Thanks for the tips!