Ideas for water at separate heights [Solved]

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Lorul1
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Assault on Theed
Games I'm Playing :: Battlegrounds
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Ideas for water at separate heights [Solved]

Post by Lorul1 »

As you know Its not possible to have water at two separate heights.

beside a simple blue texture or paint what are your ideas for water replacement and how could it be done.
Last edited by Lorul1 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Re: Ideas for water replacement

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Lorul1 wrote:As you know Its not possible to have water at two separate heights.

beside a simple blue texture or paint what are your ideas for water replacement and how could it be done.
I've thought about this and the best idea I thought of would be to take the Mustafar lava assets and repaint it to look like water. It is already scrolling and has no collision so it is as close to water as you get. The only major issue I thought of would be that the soldiers would not display splashing visuals.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

You'd either need the "fake" body of water to be shallow enough to where you can't see underwater, or have it not be accessible at all to the player.

With that said, what you could possibly do is layer several transparent meshes on top of each other, each one with a scrolling, normal mapped texture (or something). This is actually somewhat how the game's actual water works, it's basically just a ton of scrolling textures and normal maps all layered on top of each other.
Lorul1
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Assault on Theed
Games I'm Playing :: Battlegrounds
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Lorul1 »

Thanks for the Ideas guys (:
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Marth8880 wrote:You'd either need the "fake" body of water to be shallow enough to where you can't see underwater, or have it not be accessible at all to the player.

With that said, what you could possibly do is layer several transparent meshes on top of each other, each one with a scrolling, normal mapped texture (or something). This is actually somewhat how the game's actual water works, it's basically just a ton of scrolling textures and normal maps all layered on top of each other.
But scrolling and normal mapping are two different materials and can't be attached to one material/mesh/model. But I like the idea of having a few transparent layers all having different scroll mechanics. And maybe transparent enough where the background/seaground is an actual terrain texture, just very dark. Still it has to be not accessible. Also without actual "water" like in battlefront's water mode (underwater color) it would look very weird when you go inside.