Beginning Modding

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth-Tyranus

Beginning Modding

Post by Darth-Tyranus »

I'm thinking about begining modding for Star Wars Battlefront 2 when the mod tools come out. How difficult will it be for me if I have no modding experience at all?

Sorry for being a n00b but I just had to ask.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: Beggining Modding

Post by Leviathan »

In my opinion, SWBF II Mod Tools will be as easy to master as SWBF's... Just download Star Wars Battlefront's SDK and browse this GameToast section to get an idea of Star Wars Battlefront II's SDK content... Therefore, with time spent studying it, you'll understand what skills will be required to design new maps for SWBF II... :wink:
Alex533

Post by Alex533 »

Well it depends what sort of modding you want to do, skinning, modelling, coding, map making?
Darthlarrious

Post by Darthlarrious »

map making is usually what most people do, its quite simple, you arrange the terrain in a certain fashion, you add static meshes, spawns, CP's, Vehicle spawns etc. etc..

modelling is getting a lot more popular, it allows you to put some custom content in the game, in other words, you can put ANYTHING in the game.

skinning is when you put a texture on a model, wich is essential for a game to get the awesome looks. If you get in modelling, and wonder how the levels in games such as Half Life 2 or Call Of Duty 2 look simply amazing, yes, its the models, the coding, and the maps all fitting together nicely to make a finished product, but a lot of the glamour comes from applying a flat image to a 3 dimensionnal model. Skinning is considered an art in lots of places, for example, take a look at the characters in this HL2 mod: http://www.dystopia-game.com or these weaponds http://www.1944online.com. They look amazing not only because its a fancy model, but the texture ( or "skin") fits perfectly.

coding is what makes the game run, without coding, you have a black screen. And a frustrated gamer. there are many different kinds of programming languages, and you might of heard of a few: C#, C++, Basic, Delphi, HTML, PHP, ASP, .NET, FOX PRO, and LUA are just a few of them (SWBF I & II were done using LUA).

theres just a little rundown on the different kinds of modding you can do.

Have Fun

Darthlarrious
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

I was in the same boat as you when I began SWBFI mapping. I had no modding experience whatsoever. Luckily, I had some people who helped me through it all and I was able to do it by myself after a while. You should have no problems getting started because Gametoast is filled with great people who are willing to help you all the way. That's how I got to where I am today as a mapper. Hopefully SWBFII modding won't be much different unless it's easier. Easier would be nice. :)
drummerzoid1

Post by drummerzoid1 »

note that more than 100 people make a game so don't be disapointed when urs isn't as good as the actual game.
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by minilogoguy18 »

i have lots of things planned out for SWBF2, mainly a space battle over Telos map from kotor2 but the only thing i have so far is a sith fighter XD i wonder wheather the capital ships that you launch from are mapped or if they are models and the hangars and insides are just mapped. its obvious though that support frigates are XSI models.
Trans

Post by Trans »

drummerzoid1 wrote:note that more than 100 people make a game so don't be disapointed when urs isn't as good as the actual game.
...but if you get good enough some of your maps can rival or be better than Pandemic's IMO i.e. Kashyyyk Shores and many others. :)
drummerzoid1

Post by drummerzoid1 »

i guess you could if you spent enough time with it.
dengar

Post by dengar »

I want to mod but I have deleted battlefront 1 ages ago, if I had the new mod tools (I have battlefront2) is it posible to mod?
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

Yes.
note that more than 100 people make a game
Yes, but they also did programming, etc. We just need to make maps. :D
dengar

Post by dengar »

thanks epena, I have a nother question. Is it posible that you put movie scene in your map?
-=Sithicalohiny=-

Post by -=Sithicalohiny=- »

Do you mean like in Hoth where you see the shield generator blow up?
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

dengar, you'll get replies to all questions you've asked once SWBF II Mod Tools will have been released... In the meantime, we can't really provide you certainties, just personal thoughts... (However, once LucasArts / Pandemic will make them available for download, do not hesitate to post your modding-related requests here... :wink: )
dengar

Post by dengar »

thanks everyone, than I'll wont bothe you guys with this.