Modding a mod

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

thingshappen77
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: battlefront 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Modding a mod

Post by thingshappen77 »

you know how you get the "addme script" and the data folder when you
download a mod? i just figured out how to use the modtool thing for battlefront 2,
and i was just wondering how do i edit/change mods that i have?
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: Modding a mod

Post by mswf »

You can't easily edit the "baked down" version of a mod, which is what you download and use in your modding folder. To do that, you'd need the original "source assets". For the base game levels, these source assets come with the download of the mod tools. In contrast most mods don't publish their source assets.
But this next point is almost more important: unless the author has explicitly stated that they give permission for others to build off of their work, it is against common courtesy to even attempt editing their work without consent.

If you want to start off your modding career with making edits to existing stuff instead of starting from scratch, you should start with the levels, models and units given to you in the modding tools.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

You can start editing the default maps. Those are available throught the modTools download or they were published here on GT.
Things you can edit or use in your own mod (while giving proper credits) can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=12991

What you are asking for is like you downloaded paint.net and now you wanna change the code of it. It's not possible since it's already compiled.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Well, tehcnically it is now possible but out of respect for anybody who did not want their material decompiled without permission I won't say how.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

well as far as i know the new extractor still does not support lua extracting. So it is not possible