Skydome texture resolution [Solved]

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Skydome texture resolution [Solved]

Post by Oceans14 »

As you'll see in the following screenshot, the orange-ish glow on the horizon is pretty pixelated and low quality in game. The texture is 256x1024 and looks fine in an image viewer. Since it looks almost "too close" in game I decided to double the resolution, however this didn't change anything. I also played around with .option parameters but frankly even with the docs in front of me I don't know what I'm doing. If somebody could help me out that would be great. I'm hoping to make it look sharper and smoother.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Last edited by Oceans14 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Skydome texture resolution

Post by Marth8880 »

Try these texture option parameters:

Code: Select all

-format a8r8g8b8 -maps 1
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Skydome texture resolution

Post by Oceans14 »

That seemed to do it, thanks!
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Re: Skydome texture resolution [Solved]

Post by thelegend »

I personally recommend using the -maps 1 parameter in all your .tga options in case you didn't know of its existence. Bf2 looks so much sharper when nothing looks blurred in any way. Especially on character and vehicle textures.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

thelegend wrote:I personally recommend using the -maps 1 parameter in all your .tga options
While it makes things look "sharper", it definitely should *not* be used with *all* textures. Weapon and character/vehicle textures, sure, but prop/environment textures should use a maps value of at least 3 or 4, otherwise it'll just look bad (especially terrain).
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Yeah terrain is a true no go for that string. But for diffuse textures (Including props) I am not sure if that's a bad thing. I even use -maps 1 for normal maps (Excluding props and vehicles).
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Oceans14 »

Marth8880 wrote:While it makes things look "sharper", it definitely should *not* be used with *all* textures. Weapon and character/vehicle textures, sure, but prop/environment textures should use a maps value of at least 3 or 4, otherwise it'll just look bad (especially terrain).
What does a value of 3 do vs 1, and why do you recommend this for props as opposed to other ingame objects? Is it due to optimization or just the way the engine renders different things? I did enough research to have a rudimentary understanding of mipmaps and why they're important, but I don't yet understand the purpose for multiple settings and how they'd be useful for different applications.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Here's an example of just about everything using 1:
Hidden/Spoiler:
It makes everything look "speckle-y" from a distance.
SleepKiller
Corporal
Corporal
xbox live or psn: N/A

Post by SleepKiller »

Oceans14 wrote:What does a value of 3 do vs 1, and why do you recommend this for props as opposed to other ingame objects? Is it due to optimization or just the way the engine renders different things? I did enough research to have a rudimentary understanding of mipmaps and why they're important, but I don't yet understand the purpose for multiple settings and how they'd be useful for different applications.
I would expect his reasoning to be that weapons and characters are likely to be closer to the camera thus less likely to suffer from the artifacting that occurs when mipmaps aren't used/available.

If I remember correctly it goes something like this. (If anyone is more experienced than me with this feel free to correct me! This is outside the comfort zone of my knowledge.)

So I have a portion of a texture that looks like this that I want to sample from to draw something.

2 0 4
0 4 0
2 0 2

Up close past it's resolution it might be sampled like this. (This isn't an actual filtering method, see here for a list of filter methods used by GPUs.)

2 1 0 2 4
1 0 2 0 2
0 2 4 2 0
1 0 2 0 1
2 1 0 1 2

Because the texture is lower resolution than the screenspace being drawn to the GPU does some filtering to give us the extra texels and all is well. However if the screenspace being drawn to is smaller than the texture's resolution it can end up being sampled like this.

2 4
4 0

Thus producing small (noticeable) artifacts in the drawn image. With mipmaps the GPU could've switched to sampling a low resolution of the image that had already down sampled using more expensive algorithms than it can use, giving a much nicer result. This is (to my understanding) why you seldom want to disable mipmaps except for textures that you know are going to be drawn at a fair constant range (like the skydome texture) or the main player model texture in a game. Even then though you can't predict what resolution someone is going to use (a texture sampled fine at 1920*1080 might be sampled horribly at 1366*768) so it's probably best in the end to leave them and let the GPU do it's job.

(And I see now finishing writing this AQT has bet me to it with a much simpler explanation. Oh well I will still post this.)
LitFam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF II 2005
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by LitFam »

- 32 bit - maps 4 would you exclude the -32 bit for props.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

LitFam wrote:- 32 bit - maps 4 would you exclude the -32 bit for props.
'-32bit', '-8bit', and '-4bit' are all PS2-exclusive parameters and will not have any effect when munging PC or Xbox, which use the '-format <type>' parameter instead.

Resources:
https://sites.google.com/site/swbf2modt ... umentation
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

AQT wrote:Here's an example of just about everything using 1:
Hidden/Spoiler:
It makes everything look "speckle-y" from a distance.
Off-Topic: While I really love the map and especially its graphical looking, I wonder why you included -maps in for tree branches and the terrain?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

thelegend wrote:Off-Topic: While I really love the map and especially its graphical looking, I wonder why you included -maps in for tree branches and the terrain?
Using '-maps 1' for all textures was unfortunately just a thing that we used to do, but thankfully we've grown past it.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Yep. A part of me knew it doesn't even look all that great. It kind of looks like the textures had been over sharpened. But the procedural side of me said to put it in all .tga.option files. Just go by eye instead.
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Oceans14 »

Honestly I think it looks nice and crisp. Tbh that entire map is gorgeous lol :)

Seems like what you're all saying then is that there isn't a "rule of thumb" for what parameter is used for what type of ingame entity - it's just sort of trial and error as needed. I'm definitely looking forward to fooling around with this.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Oceans14 wrote:Seems like what you're all saying then is that there isn't a "rule of thumb" for what parameter is used for what type of ingame entity - it's just sort of trial and error as needed.
It's a bit of both - there's a general rule of thumb that you should try to stick to, but not so much that you should stick to it absolutely, you should always always always tweak as needed.
LitFam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF II 2005
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by LitFam »

This article helped me understand .option properties a lot. :yes: