Lorul1's Easy Ground To Space Tutorial

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Lorul1
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Assault on Theed
Games I'm Playing :: Battlegrounds
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Lorul1's Easy Ground To Space Tutorial

Post by Lorul1 »

NEW 2018 UPDATE !!
Today I will not only show you how to do ground to space but give you the tools to do it !!

EXAMPLE SOURCE FILES DOWNLOAD :

Hidden/Spoiler:
I am not responsible for any harm to your computer because of any misuse with these files
all rights belong to there owners.

DATA FILES : http://www.mediafire.com/file/sw95h81p8 ... ta_TCW.rar
PLAYABLE : http://www.mediafire.com/file/ptaega0j1zlxh9u/TCW.rar

long story short if you look in the .sky file within the world1 folder you will see all i did was change the sky so that it looks like space
then i used two atmosphere props made by the legend called "inner skydome" and "outer skydome" then I raised the max fly hight an BOOM ground to space
All the models are from the user : "TheLegend" . You don't have to credit me at all but please credit this guy !! He's really awesome for giving us all this stuff.

As some of you already know, all maps have a sky that can be reprogrammed by the ".sky" file !! The ".sky" file controls things like, how far away the player can see,
light color, those fake flying ships (like the ones on geonosis) and in our case the texture of the sky itself.
Ground to space makes the texture of the sky look like space and then places a big dome object that LOOKS like the actual sky over the players on the ground.
THINK ABOUT IT LIKE A SNOWGLOBE !! Everything in the snowglobe is the ground part of your map and everything outside of it is space.

Hidden/Spoiler:
BACK UP YOU MAPS PEOPLE !!! COPY AND PASTE A WORKING VERSION OF YOUR STUFF SOMEWHERE SAFE !!!! I don't want you guys messing up your map on accident PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO IT !!!

STEP 1 :

You want to download the space to ground pack here : http://www.mediafire.com/file/ddxhk63b8 ... e_Pack.rar
OR if you wanna be really fancy you can head on over to "3D Modeling and Animation" to learn how to make your own !! You don't HAVE to use mine ...
Mine will give you a decent ground to space and I think you'll be happy with it !! If you want the one from battlefront 3 legacy - you'll have to make one or wait for
the assets to be released. There is another ground to space pack able closer to the one from battlefront 3 legacy but this tutorial is meant for mine - BUT installing these two pack are very similar once you understand what you are doing. http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=11875.0

FROM NOW ON THE TUTORIAL WILL BE SPLIT IN TWO DIFFERENT PARTS
Part 1 will discuss changing your sky to look like space - something you must do in ALL ground to spaces ! . It will go really in depth so for those of you more experience modders that already know how to change your sky to look like a space map head on over the part 2.

PART 1
Hidden/Spoiler:
STEP 2 :

Hopefully you already have a ground mode map and you've got it working !! so
Next you'll have to set up your sky file to look like a space map !!
Go to DATA_??? > Worlds > ??? > world1
Now open : ???.sky

There are two sections in most ".sky" "
SkyInfo() " - which sets up things like max view distance and fog color.
And
DomeInfo() - this is ... well ... info for the dome, sky textures and fake ships.

Make sure your .sky file has good view distance so that your atmosphere that we will be adding soon will be ... seeable.
and wont cut in and out ! A good example of a very strong SkyInfo() view distance can be seen in the example I provided in the ground to space pack.
The Xbox and PS2 references are removed from there because the chance of you mods being played on an ORIGINAL XBOX or PS2 are pprrrrrreeeeeeeeettttttttttyyyyyyy slim.

Find the section that says DomeInfo() and then minimize this file for later,
If you already modded the dome info its ok, this will still work. and just so you know the DomeInfo should look something like this code here :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DomeInfo()
{
Texture("sky_yav2");
Angle(-90.000000);
Ambient(255.000000, 255.000000, 255.000000);
Filter(1);
Threshold(150);
Intensity(50);

Softness(1);
SoftnessParam(60);

DomeModel()
{
Geometry("sky_yav2");
}
}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 3:

Go on over to
BFTWO_ModTools > space_template > Worlds > @#$ > sky
And the open "spa_cor"

In this sky file we see ONLY domeinfo() and underneath the dome info we see a ton of "DomeModel()" stuff.

Copy and paste the section that says:

[code] DomeModel()
{
Geometry("spa1_sky");
rotationspeed(0.0001,0.0,1.0,0);
} [/code]

to your maps sky file !
Make sure to REPLACE the sky geometry of your old .sky file as well as the line that says " Texture("???_???"); " under "DomeInfo()". Here is the correct way of replacing things using the example above from above. The Orange text are what I changed !

DomeInfo()
{
Texture("spa1_sky");
Angle(-90.000000);
Filter(1);
Threshold(150);
Intensity(50);

Softness(1);
SoftnessParam(60);

DomeModel()
{
Geometry("spa1_sky");
}

}

You can change the rotation speed if for some reason you would want a rotating space dome - but I would just leave it alone for now and play around with it later.

STEP 4 :

To make our space dome we just added better we will want to add more dome stuff to you worlds .sky , lets open back up "spa_cor"

spa2_sky_nebula1 - this is a nebula texture AKA the "color" of what your space map will look like
spa2_sky_coresant - this is the planet coresant
spa2_sky_horizon - Its kinda hard to explain what this is but this is kinda the "glow" around coresant
spa2_sky_coresant_city - this is the city lights that look like "circle things" https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0908205521
spa2_sky_coresant_cityroads - roads I think
spa2_sky_planetclouds - clouds
spa2_sky_coresant_haze - hmmm im not 100% sure what haze is ... maybe this is the light emitng from the plannet

Most of you guys wont really want to use the coresant specific examples because if you remember from the coresant space map in battlefront 2's campaign
you are above the fake planet (spa2_sky_coresant) I could see you guys maybe using kashyyyk or something or maybe using like a moon or something but yeah

most of you guys will probably just worry about nebulas but if you want ANY of these added to your space background you'll need to copy and paste this section to your worlds .sky
Here's the continuation of that example - this is now in my Domeinfo() section of my worlds sky file !! orange text is what I added.

DomeInfo()
{
Texture("spa1_sky");
Angle(-90.000000);
Filter(1);
Threshold(150);
Intensity(50);

Softness(1);
SoftnessParam(60);

DomeModel()
{
Geometry("spa1_sky");
}
DomeModel()
{
Geometry("spa13_sky_nebula1");
}
DomeModel()
{
Geometry("spa2_sky_explosions");
rotationspeed(0.001, 0,1.0,0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_1", 1.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_2", 3.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_4", 1.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_5", 2.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_7", 1.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_8", 2.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_11", 3.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_12", 1.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_15", 2.0);

}
DomeModel()
{
Geometry("end_sky_dome_death");
Offset(130.0);
MovementScale(0.992);
}

}

Let's see what I decided to add. I added a nebula and I also added some nice sky explosions I also added a death star Its the one from endors . sky file - dont be afraid to get creative guys and look in other sky files that AREN'T space !!

Search around and see what you can find in some of the stock maps - If you want to see what something looks like open it in msh.viewer - all textures can be edited to these things as well
all the actual models to the things like the nebula's etc can be found in BFTWO_ModTools > space_template > Worlds > @#$ > msh pick your fav and inset it into your .sky !!
If you need a proper example open the .sky of one of your favorite maps !!

ALSO REMEMBER to copy things from the msh folder in BFTWO_ModTools > space_template > Worlds > @#$ > msh TO DATA_??? > Worlds > ??? > msh
so if you put "spa2_sky_nebula1" in you .sky find everything relating to "spa2_sky_nebula1" in @#$ > msh and make sure to copy it into DATA_??? > Worlds > ??? > msh
or You could also just copy everything over from BFTWO_ModTools > space_template > Worlds > @#$ > msh TO DATA_??? > Worlds > ??? > msh

NOTE: fake mountain Dome Model's, like the ones from hoth, sadly will not look good in a ground to space map - you will sadly have to remove them if you have them on your map and if you are planning to add them they wont work like you think they will (going back to the snowglobe thing i was talking about earlier they would be outside of the globe not inside where they belong !! Mountins belong on the planet not in space)

STEP 5:

Time to add stars which is pretty simple

copy and paste from cor_sky so you will now have this
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DomeInfo()
{
Texture("spa1_sky");
Angle(-90.000000);
Filter(1);
Threshold(150);
Intensity(50);

Softness(1);
SoftnessParam(60);

DomeModel()
{
Geometry("spa1_sky");
}
DomeModel()
{
Geometry("spa13_sky_nebula1");
}
DomeModel()
{
Geometry("spa2_sky_explosions");
rotationspeed(0.001, 0,1.0,0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_1", 1.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_2", 3.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_4", 1.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_5", 2.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_7", 1.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_8", 2.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_11", 3.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_12", 1.0);
Effect("spa_sfx_skydomeexplosions", "hp_15", 2.0);

}
DomeModel()
{
Geometry("end_sky_dome_death");
Offset(130.0);
MovementScale(0.992);
}
Stars()
{
RandomSeed(1);
TwinkleFactor(0.5);
TwinkleFrequency(0.1);
Color(255, 255, 255, 255);
EnableBottom(1);
XBOX()
{
NumStars(3000);
BrightStarPercent(70.0);
AlphaMin(15);
ColorSaturation(0.5);
}
PC()
{
NumStars(8000);
BrightStarPercent(70.0);
AlphaMin(15);
ColorSaturation(.75);
}
PS2()
{
NumStars(700);
StarTexture("fx_star");
BrightStarPercent(10.0);
AlphaMin(10);
ColorSaturation(0.2);
}
}

}
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want everyone to notice the brackets and how they are set up
Its kind at idea that " { " opens something up and " } " closes it !! That's why we need those three " } " at the end because we are closing three things.
here's a visual example of some html code doing the same sort of thing : http://www.bu.edu/tech/files/2009/10/goodcode.gif
Code needs to be opened and then closed ! Hopefully you kinda get what I'm saying.

After you have your completed .sky file and all the "DomeModel()" things you added are also in your msh folder as well . Then you should be good to go and your ground map will look like its in space !!
Test your maps often guys and make sure that you .sky file has an closed brackets for ever open bracket - this is important. I have an example for you in the ground to space pack ! Feel free to retexture things as well

PART 2
Hidden/Spoiler:
STEP 1:
Extract my ground to space pack and inside of it you will see three things.
- an odf folder
- a msh folder
- My assault on theed .sky file you all can use a working reference for ground to space !

BEFORE YOU COPY AND PASTE ANYTHING INTO ANYTHING let me explain what everything is.

in the odf folder ...
Inner_Skydome
- This is basically the sky people will see. It is the "bubble the player is inside of" Note the part that says "GeometryScale = 0.7" !! I decided to change the scale of this because I think having it at this size is
somewhat reasonable for getting on and off the planet. 1.0 = 100% 0.7 = 70% 0.5 would equal 50% etc In order to change the scale you will have to change it here and in the " msh.option " (more on that below)
Surface
- This is what people will see from space ! Its what the "bubble" looks like from the outside !

in the msh folder
-Inner_Skydome and Surface are the models for each
NOTE THAT inside of - Inner_Skydome.msh.option (the one that you can open with notepad) you will see " -nocollision -scale 0.7 " . "-nocollision" means the user wont colide with the model and "-scale 0.7" is the second thing that you would need to change If you would want to change the scale of the bubble !!
Tatooine_Cloud_Cover, Tatooine_Surface, and Tatooine_Surface_Normal
all change how the planet outside looks while sky_tatooine2 changes what the player sees in side the bubble looking in any direction ! Before you go retexturing it I would get these babies in game to see how they look first.

STEP 2:
Now go ahead and copy and paste everything from "msh" folder into DATA_??? > Worlds > ??? > msh
and everything from the "odf" folder into DATA_??? > Worlds > ??? > odf

STEP 3:
Open zeroeditor and make sure you have maximum "visibility" (located at the top right corner) so you can see everything.
and place "Inner_Skydome" and "surface" into your map as you would place a normal object !! Then munge and test !

With you sky file having your map look like is has a space backdrop and your fake "skys" imported as objects your ground to space map is now ready !!
Make sure your maps height is high enough in you maps lua.
and you can even add a rumble region to act like atmosphere if you want to get real fancy !
ALSO here are some other important notes :
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="thelegend"]Something important I'd like to add:
First of all, very great tutorial and thank you for including assets I created. I think it would be a smart idea to release the space/ground transition I use in bf3 legacy, because it seems to be fairly requested by other map makers.
2nd thing: There IS a hard coded value, which cannot be altered or removed, unfortunately, and that's the actual, allowed map height. You will die, if you go any further AS a soldier unit/hero. It's somewhere between 1100 and 1200. Not totally sure but if you place a ship above this level of height, where you can spawn, you instantly die. Same for when you jump/hover/fly to this point, you simply die like in space maps when you drop off the capital ship and fall to infinity. Even same for going to far into one direction. There is a huge, huge border around, above and below the actual terrain which kills you. SetMapExtends won't solve this either.

There's a neat tip to get the most of the height between a capital ship (spawnable of course, otherwise it won't matter anyway until you reach the height where effects and ordnances begin to vanish and lose their effects/functions):
Lower the terrain to -250 to -300 (depends on map). Don't work at terrain height around 0. If you modelled an entire map/terrain, you can even go deeper. As deep as possible, until the death limit. Only annoying thing would be AI-path placing with the terrain being higher than -500 (for example).[/quote][/quote]
Any questions ???? Did i miss anything ?
Last edited by Lorul1 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LitFam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF II 2005

Re: Lorul1's Easy Ground To Space Tutorial

Post by LitFam »

Thanks a million!
Last edited by LitFam on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Clone Wars Extended
Games I'm Playing :: BF2

Post by Deviss »

glory for Lorul1!!! thanks you man :D, i give it a try!
LitFam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by LitFam »

Hmm do you need to change the maps max height in the .lua? :?
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Post by RevanSithLord »

LitFam wrote:Hmm do you need to change the maps max height in the .lua? :?
I would assume you'd have to do this, because I remember when I was working on a test map with extreme hills, I had to raise it - otherwise if you're a trooper you jump into the air and you die. I'd probably use this as a rule of thumb in general when making maps. :)
Lorul1
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by Lorul1 »

YES you will have to raise your maps maximum height which is easy !

Open your lua
BFTWO_ModTools > data_??? > Common > scripts > ??? > whatever lua your using
then and right under the part that says function ScriptInit() put

Code: Select all

SetMaxFlyHeight(???)
    SetMaxPlayerFlyHeight(???)

My assault on theed which does have ground to space is at 6000 where both ??? are above.

Test out your own setting but once you go too high I think your starfighter wont be able to shoot or something weird !
LitFam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by LitFam »

Thanks!

This needs to in the be in the FAQ :yes:
Last edited by LitFam on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Something important I'd like to add:
First of all, very great tutorial and thank you for including assets I created. I think it would be a smart idea to release the space/ground transition I use in bf3 legacy, because it seems to be fairly requested by other map makers.
2nd thing: There IS a hard coded value, which cannot be altered or removed, unfortunately, and that's the actual, allowed map height. You will die, if you go any further AS a soldier unit/hero. It's somewhere between 1100 and 1200. Not totally sure but if you place a ship above this level of height, where you can spawn, you instantly die. Same for when you jump/hover/fly to this point, you simply die like in space maps when you drop off the capital ship and fall to infinity. Even same for going to far into one direction. There is a huge, huge border around, above and below the actual terrain which kills you. SetMapExtends won't solve this either.

There's a neat tip to get the most of the height between a capital ship (spawnable of course, otherwise it won't matter anyway until you reach the height where effects and ordnances begin to vanish and lose their effects/functions):
Lower the terrain to -250 to -300 (depends on map). Don't work at terrain height around 0. If you modelled an entire map/terrain, you can even go deeper. As deep as possible, until the death limit. Only annoying thing would be AI-path placing with the terrain being higher than -500 (for example).
Lorul1
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by Lorul1 »

cool yes yes this is important - once you release your ground to space transitions then I will add them to this tut - your notes have also been added to the tut. Any more anyone would like to contribute would be much appreciated.