Shiny Trooper

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

tehShocktroopa
Private
Projects :: Imperial Stormtrooper Skins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 KOTOR TSL
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Shiny Trooper

Post by tehShocktroopa »

Just did a shadow trooper mod, so I took the shadow trooper .msh files from the BFX assets and used it to replace the dark trooper from the regular BF2 assets and all of the sudden after having munged the files the shadow trooper himself appears to be shiny like the troopers from the BFX mod, usually this doesn't happen to me in my experimentation with the BFX shadow trooper msh files, but does anyone know what I might have done?
Lorul1
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Assault on Theed
Games I'm Playing :: Battlegrounds

Re: Shiny Trooper

Post by Lorul1 »

I'm not 100% sure BUT i will try to help.
In my experience sometime when the "alpha channel" is not correct units will show up shiny in game.

Here's an exert from the gimp alpha tutorial in the all you need to know thread
biohazard wrote: You'll now have a nice image like this, that is easy to work with:
Hidden/Spoiler:

You can go ahead and close the grayscale images for red, green, and blue, but be sure to keep the alpha one open. Now reskin to your heart's content.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Again, go to Colors > Components > Decompose, but choose RGB in the drop down menu this time, still with both checkboxes left unchecked.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Next, go to Colors > Components > Compose and choose RGBA in the top drop-down menu, and select the correct grayscale images for each of the following four drop-downs. Use the alpha image from the original decomposition, and the red, green, and blue that were just created from decomposing the modified skin.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Now you'll get something that looks very similar to the original. Save it for your new skin, and remember to turn RLE compression off.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Congratulations! You've just come one step closer to SWBF2 modding mastery.
tehShocktroopa
Private

Post by tehShocktroopa »

Lorul1 wrote:I'm not 100% sure BUT i will try to help.
In my experience sometime when the "alpha channel" is not correct units will show up shiny in game.

Here's an exert from the gimp alpha tutorial in the all you need to know thread
biohazard wrote: You'll now have a nice image like this, that is easy to work with:
Hidden/Spoiler:

You can go ahead and close the grayscale images for red, green, and blue, but be sure to keep the alpha one open. Now reskin to your heart's content.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Again, go to Colors > Components > Decompose, but choose RGB in the drop down menu this time, still with both checkboxes left unchecked.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Next, go to Colors > Components > Compose and choose RGBA in the top drop-down menu, and select the correct grayscale images for each of the following four drop-downs. Use the alpha image from the original decomposition, and the red, green, and blue that were just created from decomposing the modified skin.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Now you'll get something that looks very similar to the original. Save it for your new skin, and remember to turn RLE compression off.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Congratulations! You've just come one step closer to SWBF2 modding mastery.
So is this just a way to show how to make the units shiny? because I kinda wanted to make the shadow trooper shiny black.
Lorul1
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by Lorul1 »

OHH sorry about that - i misunderstood ! Luckily I just asked the same question here :

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33470

see if that helps
once I try these results I will edit this post and tell you if it works
tehShocktroopa
Private

Post by tehShocktroopa »

Lorul1 wrote:OHH sorry about that - i misunderstood ! Luckily I just asked the same question here :

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33470

see if that helps
once I try these results I will edit this post and tell you if it works
So what was the result? I wanted to make the shadow trooper shiny black as depicted in pictures
Lorul1
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by Lorul1 »

works well thanks to AQT who gave me the links i needed !

you'll want to download this tool here
http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=14857
and follow the instructions for "envmap" AKA making things shiny . instructions are in the download ... If you have any questions about it though i can guide you through it.
tehShocktroopa
Private

Post by tehShocktroopa »

Lorul1 wrote:works well thanks to AQT who gave me the links i needed !

you'll want to download this tool here
http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=14857
and follow the instructions for "envmap" AKA making things shiny . instructions are in the download ... If you have any questions about it though i can guide you through it.
so I want the Shadow trooper to shine on every stock map of SWBF2, how can that be done? what should I start doing? I kind of don't get the instructions to be honest.
Lorul1
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by Lorul1 »

No problem
Before we continue I want to know exactaly what you want. Here's what I did not to long ago.

As you can see phasma is a lot less glossy on the left then on the right (in game she is actually a bit more glossy)

Is this what you want with the shadow trooper ?

and you are talking about this shadow trooper right ?

Making a player model shiny is sadly not something that's quick. BUT it is pretty easy

1. you will download this tool here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/dk4b480c ... htool4.zip

2. open the folder and paste in the msh file for your trooper you want to become shiny

3. double click "meshtool4" youll get a black screen asking you to type the msh file name

4. type in the name of your toopers msh file and after that be sure to put .msh
after it !

5. Then it will ask you for a command so type envmap

6. then it will ask you to specify the texture. and it will list numbers. Chose the one that is the main TGA your model uses

7. Now it will generate a file
"Your_troopers_name.m5h"
you will need to rename that ending from m5h to msh

8. now move him back into your side's msh folder - replacing the old one of course THEN the last step is to copy helmet_envmap.tga and helmet_envmap.tga.option file from:
assets\sides\all\msh
into your side's msh folder.

AND then your done. Questions ?
tehShocktroopa
Private

Post by tehShocktroopa »

Lorul1 wrote:No problem
Before we continue I want to know exactaly what you want. Here's what I did not to long ago.

As you can see phasma is a lot less glossy on the left then on the right (in game she is actually a bit more glossy)

Is this what you want with the shadow trooper ?

and you are talking about this shadow trooper right ?

Making a player model shiny is sadly not something that's quick. BUT it is pretty easy

1. you will download this tool here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/dk4b480c ... htool4.zip

2. open the folder and paste in the msh file for your trooper you want to become shiny

3. double click "meshtool4" youll get a black screen asking you to type the msh file name

4. type in the name of your toopers msh file and after that be sure to put .msh
after it !

5. Then it will ask you for a command so type envmap

6. then it will ask you to specify the texture. and it will list numbers. Chose the one that is the main TGA your model uses

7. Now it will generate a file
"Your_troopers_name.m5h"
you will need to rename that ending from m5h to msh

8. now move him back into your side's msh folder - replacing the old one of course THEN the last step is to copy helmet_envmap.tga and helmet_envmap.tga.option file from:
assets\sides\all\msh
into your side's msh folder.

AND then your done. Questions ?
Fantastic, thanks, although I don't have the screenshot to show it but I must admit though, he totally shines like a charm, but hey I understand the localization stuff and how it works, but how do I change his name from "Dark Trooper" to "Shadow Trooper" and make it appear on all stock maps? when I change the name in localization, it only appears in the modtools test map that you get after the file has been munged.
Lorul1
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by Lorul1 »

Ahh so your trying to make a mod that just applies for the side and can be used on stock maps
:? See , I've never done this before so I do not know. Try using gametoast's search feature to find what your looking for which i think is creating a "side mode" but I may be wrong.

I will edit this post when If I can find out how BUT yeah if someone else is reading this that knows the answer go ahead and say it.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Specular map would look better on black Stormtrooper armor. Environment maps are more appropriate for reflective surfaces like glass and mirrors. Unless you edit the model accordingly, an environment map would cause the black undersuit to also be reflective, which doesn't make any sense.