Interpreting p_crithit

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Michaeluj
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Interpreting p_crithit

Post by Michaeluj »

Hello, I'm just a curious fan who's seeking the "hard facts" about Battlefront for wiki purposes (and more). This includes finding and documenting where, exactly, the weak points are on vehicles. Currently, I'm digging through Battlefront 2004 (though the same process should apply for Battlefront 2) and I'm no longer sure of my interpretation.

Initially, I presumed that a numeral following "p_crithit", such as "p_crithit 2" indicated a distinct point on a given MSH. For example, maybe there could be 2 separate critical hit points on a single vehicle, one named 1 and the other named 2. Thus, if the devs wanted to "turn off" a critical hit point, they could simply change the number on the corresponding ODF line so that the crit point name no longer associates with any crit point MSH object. That is, for a critical hit point to exist, the names should match: p_crithit 1 in the ODF must be p_crithit 1 in the MSH to work. If we have p_crithit 1 in the ODF but p_crithit in the MSH, then the weak point doesn't really have any values attached. (I'm a total ignoramus with regards to modding and development, so I may be saying nonsense here).

For most vehicles, this interpretation was sound. Experimentation would be required to verify, but it seemed likely that the vehicle lacked a weak point if the said point has a different name from that in the ODF. Until I reached the AT-ST. Its MSH has just p_crithit, while the ODF has a p_crithit_2. This gave me pause because I'm positive that the weak point is real--that, therefore, the p_crithit in the ODF should theoretically correlate with that of the MSH. Yet their numbers differ. If I would have gone by my earlier understanding, then the AT-ST should have its weak point "turned off" because its name isn't attached to any values in the ODF. But that goes against my personal experience with the vehicle!

So, I ended up with the tentative change in thought that, maybe, the numerals are actually damage modifiers. Maybe a p_crithit of 2 does twice as much damage over a number-less point? It could make sense, given that the AT-ST probably does take a particularly exorbitant amount of damage when its weak point is targeted. It would also give sense for why a p_crithit 1.5, such an odd number, exists. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Additionally, it has been common knowledge (esp in the wiki) that the glass in certain vehicles is a weak point. Yet, I can't find (or, well, read) any damage values associated with any glass objects. Their aspects don't seem to be mentioned in the ODFs at all. As far as I can tell, glass should be as strong as any other part of a vehicle. This viewpoint has been corroborated, somewhat, by finding a partially-constructed hover tank for the Republic which features both glass and a critical hit point overlaid directly upon it, implying that the glass needs some external object to signify bonus damage.

For pictures (and some hasty notes), please view page 79 and beyond in here: https://1drv.ms/w/s!Aqrpd9CqsIq8nhyxnOT_-qfRZuGz
Calrissian97
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: ANF - ISM Skin Changer - BF1 Ports
Games I'm Playing :: All teh BFs

Re: Interpreting p_crithit

Post by Calrissian97 »

Inside the ODF, the number following the name of the critical hit primitive is the damage multiplier. Numbers given inside the model are just their names (from my knowledge).
Michaeluj
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Interpreting p_crithit

Post by Michaeluj »

Well, that makes sense. Thanks!
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2