Falling at the first hurdle: barebones map won't load

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Calis
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Falling at the first hurdle: barebones map won't load

Post by Calis »

I downloaded the mod tools and followed the instructions in "Getting Started.doc" to the letter, reaching the bit immediately after munging where it said I should have functional mod (code "ABC") that I could load in the game and play (that big flat default map, as I recall). I loaded the game (through Steam) only to find that the name and description were not the terse and forgotten phrases I had assigned them, but rather "ABC%s_%s". Actually loading this map led to a CTD. When I opened BF2_modtools.exe (not the original, but the non-DVD one I got from a separate place, because that's apparently a thing), the crash yielded a message that it "[c]ould not open mission.lvl". When I poked around in the "ABC" folder, there was nothing in the "_LVL_PC" sub-folder.

(I actually made this world twice; once going by the documentation provided, and the second time according to this video tutorial I found on these forums [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmYsK9TDzdE]. This happened both times.)

I have no idea what I'm doing or what's going on. I'm trying to learn how to mod Battlefront II, and my efforts seem already doomed. As you can tell from my spiel, I don't even know enough to pose a proper question. Please help me.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Falling at the first hurdle: barebones map won't load

Post by Marth8880 »

Sounds like a) you don't have the official 1.1 patch installed, and/or b) you need the Vista munge fix.

re: b, here's a link to download the Vista munge fix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gitae7nqzivl9 ... x.bat?dl=1
Calis
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Falling at the first hurdle: barebones map won't load

Post by Calis »

How can I not have the patch installed? I'm using Steam. Plus, the thing in the top right corner always says "v. 1.1".

I will try the Vista munge fix, however. Thank you.

EDIT: How actually is it supposed to work? Where do I run the batch file?