Can I make a mod with hex editing?

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

M.O.D.

Can I make a mod with hex editing?

Post by M.O.D. »

I wanted to make a mod with hex editor on Geonosis which changes the AT-TE into a LAAT gunship and adds Jango and Boba to the CIS side.

1) Is this possible
2) Is this a good idea (note that I will still make it even if it is a bad idea)
TheTao

RE: Just wondering...

Post by TheTao »

1) Probably not; most infantry levels have weird hitboxes on all the scenery; the ship would probably explode in an instant.
2) Of course! There's no such thing as a bad idea when it comes to modding.
-=Sithicalohiny=-

RE: Just wondering...

Post by -=Sithicalohiny=- »

I have tried to do this. The game didn't crash so there were no mistakes but there was no AT-TE or Gunship. ???
M.O.D.

Re: RE: Just wondering...

Post by M.O.D. »

-=Sithicalohiny=- wrote:I have tried to do this. The game didn't crash so there were no mistakes but there was no AT-TE or Gunship. ???
Same thing happened here...
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: Re: RE: Just wondering...

Post by Teancum »

That's because the AT-TE uses a 'Walker' memory pool, and the LAAT/i uses a 'Flyer' pool. You can only replace vehicles of the same type: Flyers for Flyers, Walkers for Walkers, Hovers for Hovers.
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

What about the v-wing for the taun taun in space?
M.O.D.

Post by M.O.D. »

No I recall having a Kasshyk mod where the tanks and speeders on the Republic side were switched with V-Wings...
OGEB1103

Post by OGEB1103 »

Teancum, i don't think that u mean u can only switch the same ones, it's just that the hoth map already has a flyer, so therfore u could switch any of the vehicles in the map for flyers, i know that kashyyyk doesn't have flyers, but what about the DOME flyers, they could mean that u have a flyer mem pool. though im not sure if geo has flyers in DOME. though that could be the reason why u can put flyers on some maps and not on others
with the evidence that im given, if geo doesn't have a flyer Dome then my theory is probabily correct
M.O.D.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Just wondering...

Post by M.O.D. »

OGEB1103 wrote:Teancum, i don't think that u mean u can only switch the same ones, it's just that the hoth map already has a flyer, so therfore u could switch any of the vehicles in the map for flyers, i know that kashyyyk doesn't have flyers, but what about the DOME flyers, they could mean that u have a flyer mem pool. though im not sure if geo has flyers in DOME. though that could be the reason why u can put flyers on some maps and not on others
with the evidence that im given, if geo doesn't have a flyer Dome then my theory is probabily correct
I'm pretty sure Geonosis has DOME vehicles...
OGEB1103

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Just wondering...

Post by OGEB1103 »

well the DOME flyers r the ones u can see in the sky...im not sure then...ill have a look at the mission.lvl for possible explanations.
M.O.D.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Just wondering...

Post by M.O.D. »

I just checked the mission.lvl. There are rep_fly_assault_dome; rep_fly_gunship_dome; and rep_fly_jedifighter_dome...
MorpheusWells

Post by MorpheusWells »

This sounds like a good idea and I'm pretty sure I know how to do it.
You can easily change two of the cis classes into boba and jango using DFYX's instructions found here: http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?name ... c&start=45
Next change rep_walk_atte into rep_fly_gunship again using DFYX's instructions.
Then use the search function to look for CommandWalker under that and write CommandFlyer and one space filler (00 on the hex side) over it.
Finally, change all instances of rep_walk_atte into rep_fly_gunship within the GEO1 file.

I hope that helps.
M.O.D.

Post by M.O.D. »

Yup i did that before you posted, but I messed up somewhere since the game crashed...
MorpheusWells

Post by MorpheusWells »

I just tried it now and it seems to work.
The only thing is you can't put boba fett in. He isn't in the cis or rep file so we will just have to wait till the mod tools are released to do that.
If you want, I can put up the mission.lvl and geo1.lvl so you can download and look at them or I could also post some screenshots.
The gunship is pretty easy to fly on the map (except for the AI) but the fairly small size of the map seems better suited to the atte.

Did you use the replace function when you changed the attes to gunships in the GEO1.lvl?
Doing that could cause the game to crash.
M.O.D.

Post by M.O.D. »

MorpheusWells wrote:I just tried it now and it seems to work.
The only thing is you can't put boba fett in. He isn't in the cis or rep file so we will just have to wait till the mod tools are released to do that.
If you want, I can put up the mission.lvl and geo1.lvl so you can download and look at them or I could also post some screenshots.
The gunship is pretty easy to fly on the map (except for the AI) but the fairly small size of the map seems better suited to the atte.

Did you use the replace function when you changed the attes to gunships in the GEO1.lvl?
Doing that could cause the game to crash.
Could you do that? It didn't seem to work when I did it... Anyway, i didn't use the replace function (i don't know what that is...)
MorpheusWells

Post by MorpheusWells »

ok, I'll try to get a link to it.
The replace function searches for a certain arrangment of characters (such as re_walk_atte) and replaces it everywhere in the file with a different set (such as rep_fly_gunship). However, when the original set is shorter than the new set, it adds characters to make up the difference. Adding this characters will corrupt the file. I guess it really depends on what hex editor you use. I use XVI32.

Here is the link: http://s3.ultrashare.net/hosting/fs/56804b4ce50b0f94/

I included the Mission.lvl and Geo1.lvl files

the attes are replaced with gunships
the magnaguard has been replaced with jango fett on the cis side and I also replaced the normal ep3 clone officer (galactic marine) with the rail gun arc trooper from the kamino level in campaign mode.