How can I create an Ai only class working online?

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Donhomerj
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

How can I create an Ai only class working online?

Post by Donhomerj »

Hi,
as mentioned in the topic I am looking for a way to create an AI only class. I want it to work in mp, without crashing clients. Is this possible?
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: How can I create an Ai only class working online?

Post by AQT »

You could put this unit class on an allied team, or you could set its PointsToUnlock to an incredibly high value.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Create a local side that is allied to your team. they will spawn on the map and you wont be able to spawn as them. The How to is in the FAQ
Donhomerj
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Donhomerj »

Cool thank you! When I put these changes into the mission.lvl of a server only. Will clients be able to play on it without this mission.lvl file?

E.G. could I spawn ewoks on coruscant, fighting for the republic? I think it would fail, since the files for the ewoks are not loaded by the client.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Try running it on a dedicated server. We've loaded changed LUAs for Mos Eisley to have instant-heal droids and what not, and if you're using stock sides, it should work online. No promises though
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Nope. Not to toot my own horn here, but I think I have the most server-side modding experience. I can absolutely guarantee that loading new classes into a mission will definitely crash the clients - as the data isn't being loaded onto their clients.

The best thing you can do is switch around classes that are already loaded within a mission.

An example of this would be changing SetHeroClass in Jabba's Palace to gam_inf_gamorreanguard. This would allow anyone who joins, who unlocks the hero, to play as Gamorreans - because Gamorreans already exist in the host & client.

Making sense?