issue with munging a texture

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

kiprobin
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: Trench War
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

issue with munging a texture

Post by kiprobin »

so I was trying to retexture the rebel dishturret. I replaced the hoth_main_1 tga file the game uses for the snow at the bottom of the turret with a tgafile with a sandy look, which i then renamed hoth_main_1 so that the dishturret's msh would recognize and apply it. In zeroeditor, it displayed the correct texture fine, but when i munged and ran the game, I got an empty black texture - neither the original snow or the sand i wanted. But then the problem became more pervasive: I later munged a different map im working, and this map has unedited dishturrets that i never changed, and yet now they are black there too. Both maps still show the correct texture in zeroeditor -the unedited snow in one map, and the sand i replaced it with in a separate map - so i assume there is a munging issue. I did full manual cleans of both maps, and I looked through the mungelogs of each map after doing a full munge, but could find no reference to any of the files i manipulated. im beginning to think i messed up something in the stock assets or in the modtools somehow, which is causing this one dishturret texture - and only this texture - not to appear in game even though it works in zeroeditor. should i just backup my maps' source files, redownload the modtools, then put the sourcefiles in with the new modtools and remunge, or is there some other solution?

Any help would be appreciated
argibaymiguel98
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF II

Re: issue with munging a texture

Post by argibaymiguel98 »

That's weird. Sometimes ZeroEditor displays textures different from those seen ingame, so if you did accidentally replace your "hoth_main_1.tga" in the "assets" folder instead of your "ABC" the game might be loading that faulty image on both maps. Could you attach the tga file so maybe we can do a try?

Also, try applying that tga to another msh and see if you keep getting the same issue.
kiprobin
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by kiprobin »

Here is the link to the hoth_main_1 tga in the assets-worlds-hoth-world1 folder: http://www.mediafire.com/file/a6jbwyadk ... 1.tga/file
It's the same snow texture, and the lowrez version in the msh folder also seems to be correct, but you prop know more about this stuff than me lol.
I'll apply it to another msh tomorrow and see what happens, but im ive been trying to fix this for hours to no effect, and i may just back up my data_ABC folders and redownload the modtools rather, as to my understanding i wouldnt actually lose any of the stuff ive been working on that way
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I am not sure but I think the dish turret comes from the TUR side rather than the Hoth level. I would suggest applying all your edits on a new copy of TUR and munging a new copy of TUR.lvl and see if that works.
argibaymiguel98
Recruit Womprat Killer

kiprobin wrote:Here is the link to the hoth_main_1 tga in the assets-worlds-hoth-world1 folder: http://www.mediafire.com/file/a6jbwyadk ... 1.tga/file
It's the same snow texture, and the lowrez version in the msh folder also seems to be correct, but you prop know more about this stuff than me lol.
I'll apply it to another msh tomorrow and see what happens, but im ive been trying to fix this for hours to no effect, and i may just back up my data_ABC folders and redownload the modtools rather, as to my understanding i wouldnt actually lose any of the stuff ive been working on that way

Sorry for not clarifyng haha, I meant to ask if you could attach the faulty tga, the one you want to use, not the default one. Upload it and I will do a try by myself.
kiprobin
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by kiprobin »

Here is the one i want to use:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/rpxkvo8mo ... e.tga/file
(this texture was made by Sky_216 so if you or anyone else decide to use it too credit them not me)

But the thing is i can't even get the original one to work rn. Is it possible i just messed up the msh of the dishturret somehow, such that it cant read the base texture properly but can still read the turret part of the texture? If so I could just redownload the hoth assets and use that dishturret msh and replace the one in my stuff, which may be faulty, right?
Thanks so much for the help guys!

EDIT: i can't find the original hoth or tur assets by themselves on the released asset thread, so if anyone could upload just the original dishturret files (especially the msh) then that would save a lot of trouble for me

EDIT2
UPDATE: I redownloaded the modtools, i transferred my data_ABC folder into the modtools, i got the dishturret odfs and msh from the new modtools' assets that i just downloaded and never touched, then replaced the dishturret odfs and mshs in the data_ABC >sides>tur, then did a full manual clean, then remunged the map in full, and it STILL didnt work. Furthermore, i created a new map as a test, did absolutely nothing to it except add a dishturret. I then munged and sure enough, the texture is missing in that test map too. Bc it affected this new map that i made no changes to at all , i now know that the issue is in the modtools, not the data_ABC folder, and yet i replaced the modtools and it's still happening. The only other possibility is that the hoth_main_1 tga, which is the texture in question, is somehow causing the error, but like i said before, that file is still in its untouched place in the assets, and it's also in the data_ABC's msh folder to boot. It's a small issue but it's annoying and i have no idea how it could still be happening. The correct texture is still showing up in zeroeditor and im now completely lost and disheartened.
argibaymiguel98
Recruit Womprat Killer

Don't ask me why, but I made a try on a test map I have and... it didn't even appear on the game. I replaced a default tga with the "sandy" one you uploaded and, after munging and all, the game kept showing the default texture.

Maybe I forgot something and, thus, didn't work, i'll do another try and see. Meanwhile, try to replace the hoth texture with another default one and see if you get any problem. May I ask where did you get this faulty, sandy tga from?
kiprobin
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by kiprobin »

It's from the Tatooine: Outpost source files that were in the released assets thread. Really, if you could just retexture with any texture - this sand, some random stock texture, whatever - then send the related files to me then i could try retexturing it myself. While my end goal is a sand texture, ive done everything including redownloading the whole modtools and starting over, so really any working texture is progress.

Thanks so much for your help argibaymiguel98; this is extremely frustrated and im lost and having help means a lot :)
argibaymiguel98
Recruit Womprat Killer

Hey! I tried again and this time it worked just fine.
Maybe the other time i misspelled something when changing the tga and thus didn't work, who knows. Anyway, here's the proof: your texture applied onto the "medical bed" from Polis Massa. https://we.tl/t-kBdrDbwSQe .

If you keep getting problems try to do a "clean" and post whatever happens. Good luck!
kiprobin
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by kiprobin »

Well I've gotten it to work on other objects too, such as trenches and fallen walkers and stuff, my issue is exclusively with the dishturret. rn im not even concerned with the sand texture but just am really trying to get the original texture to work, bc even the original, unedited msh and tga files with the original snow texture and all arent munging/appearing in game. Rn im playing with XSI to get it to work, which im new at, so we'll see what happens i guess lol. Thanks for the try though!

EDIT
Retexturing in xsi isnt working, even though i used the stock assets just downloaded to make sure they were unchanged, and i also retextured the dishturret_destroyed msh that was also mentioned in the odf, in case that was causing some sort of issue, and nothing works. Ive exhausted every method i know so im calling it quits on retexturing it - it's a small issue in the grand scheme of things, though i may try to model a snow pile that's slightly larger than the one at the dishturret's base, texture it as a simple prop (which ive actually successfully done before) and superimpose that over every instance of the dishturret. Thanks for trying to help though guys