Possible rendering issue

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

kiprobin
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: Trench War
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Possible rendering issue

Post by kiprobin »

I just released my Dantooine map, and a bunch of people are reporting crashes, some right from when they try to spawn, others after a time, with most of those crashes that happen after a while occurring in a forest area. Some ppl reported that lowering LOD helped. I do not experience the crash myself, which is strange, bc my pc kinda sucks and some of the ppl who do get the crash have much better specs than me. Nothing of note in the error log. I suspect this is because the leaves on all the trees are causing some kind of rendering issue, so I removed some of the trees and lowered the nearscene range substantially in an effort to reduce this. I had a problem like this before which I resolved that way, but it's hard for me to test how well it works since, like I said, I don't seem to be getting this problem. So I guess my questions are 1) is there something else beyond what I've done to reduce the rendering strain and 2) is there some way, like with the modtools, for me to measure the rendering strain, bc I'm not getting the crash in the first place? That way I can see if these changes have a positive effect, and how much so. And I guess 3) why would ppl be getting this crash even with much better specs than me at 25% LOD, when my crappy pc can run the map with no issues at full LOD?

It's just a little frustrating trying to fix a problem that I don't experience, and for which I can only rely on users' comments
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Re: Possible rendering issue

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I would say play around with the .SKY file values, near scene range, and far scene range, I've known BF2 to crash when looking in certain directions from certain locations and playing with those sky values fixed it.
I'd say just copy a set of sky values from one of the original maps since we know they work.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Do you have water in your map? This can be caused when people are playing on high settings, but not all the textures have been included.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Yeah, make sure your world's REQ are referencing all the water's bumps, normal maps, and specular maps, make sure all of those textures are in the world's effects folder, then lastly make sure the world's .FX file was the proper water coding.
kiprobin
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: Trench War
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf2

Post by kiprobin »

1 beta tester got back and said they're still having the crash after those changes. I've never had the crash, so I have to rely on what others are saying. The water stuff is all in there as far as I can tell. Guess the map is just too complex for some pc's. I'll lower the nearscene range a little more to mitigate the issues a little, maybe remove some extraneous objects, then ship it out as that seems like all I can do at this point. Just annoying trying to solve a problem I can't see haha