I'm in need of help

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

merios

I'm in need of help

Post by merios »

I've been hex editing for over 5 weeks now, and I've gotten mostly everything I need out of it, with the exception of two things.

1.) Weapon editing: Is there a way to change. . Say a Sniper's pistol to a blaster rifle or lightsaber?

2.) Medals: This has been asked before, the only reason i'm asking is that I re-installed BattleFront 2 on my computer and I lost my medals, they were all over 70. Which is dissappointing. If you don't want the information in this thread, send it to me in pm.

Thanks, Matthew.

(I've been looking at this forum for a long time, finally decided to join.)
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: I

Post by Leviathan »

merios, could you provide me concrete samples of weapons you'd like to replace, without forgetting to include the names of the faction(s) and unit(s) changes must be applied to ?

Thanks in advance !...

PS : Welcome on GameToast, by the way !... :wink:
merios

Post by merios »

(These are examples)

troop:
rep_inf_ep2_sniper

weapons:
rep_weap_inf_sniper_rifle -- lets say change this to rep_weap_lightsaber Would that work? Or change it to rep_weap_inf_rocket_launcher

Since I can't seem to find the blaster pistol or blaster rifle tags.. would those work? Or can you tell me what the secondary weapon (thermal detenators) and the rifle's tags are? I really don't understand the concept of weapon editing. I've seen it done (like making ships have 5 missles instead of infinite).
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

You can replace an existing weapon by another one as long as the amount of characters of this last one does not exceed the original's... Otherwise, Star Wars Battlefront II might become unstable, or simply crash...
Therefore, you could easily substitute "rep_weap_inf_sniper_rifle" by "rep_weap_lightsaber", without forgetting to replace unused bytes by "00" in the hexa-decimal part, since the number of characters of the new weapon is inferior to the old one's... On the other hand, using "rep_weap_inf_rocket_launcher" in replacement might become rather risky...
Also, here are the *.REQ file-names you've requested :
  • Blaster Pistol : "rep_weap_inf_pistol"
  • Blaster Rifle : "rep_weap_inf_rifle"
  • Thermal detonators : "rep_weap_inf_thermaldetonator"
Hope it'll help... :wink:
merios

Post by merios »

Do you think it is possible for a Republic sniper to literally have lets say... a lightsaber as a weapon? To hack through hordes of CIS at his will? It sounds a little... strange. Do you have to go through the 'rep.lvl' SIDE folder or just on the mission.lvl? I've seen it done before, like have a Republic commander use Force push.. Or was that on Battlefront 1.. I don't know, but it seems possible. Do you know or have you had a normal unit wield a lightsaber? One more question.. if you replace rep_weap_inf_sniper_rifle with rep_weap_lightsaber which lightsaber are you putting in? That kind of confuses me, and is that the only thing you change? Do you change anything else about the sniper unit or anything else? Or the pistol to become Force push?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to learn is all :D

Thanks, Matthew.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

You do not have to be sorry, Matt'... :wink:
Regarding your questions, I have to say that I've never tried to change one regular unit's weapon by a light-saber... However, such a thing was possible in Star Wars Battlefront, so you have a chance to get that working in SWBF II...
If this modification worked, then you could replace any standard weapon by Force Powers or other stuffs like that...
Also, I precise all those tweaks must be done by hex-editing the concerned Side's *.LVL file... ("rep.lvl", "cis.lvl", etc...)
Finally, I do not know what light-saber is the one affiliated to the "rep_weap_lightsaber" *.REQ file... But be sure I'll check out that as soon as I'll get more time... :)
merios

Post by merios »

That's if it did work. I'd be making history as the first one to change a weapon to a lightsaber by use of Hex Editing.. wow.. Anyway, you've been a lot of help. If I have any more questions, i'll be sure to direct them to you from now on, since you seem to know alot more about this than me. :wink:
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Further modding questions from you will be welcome, merios... :wink:
drummerzoid1

Post by drummerzoid1 »

i tried changing it to a lightsaber and no luck
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

I should have guessed that giving a light-saber to a "regular" unit might not work, since each Force-wielding Heroes must own his / her own melee attacks' animations, which are compiled and merged into his / her main MeSH file... Also, other playable characters, such as Clone Troopers, seem not to have the required skeleton / animations to handle such a weapon...