Rends adding Sound Tutorial

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Emraz

Post by Emraz »

Well Ive followed the tut to the letter or so I think then when I go looking for the tes.lvl it just isnt there.

Sounds kill me they really do.

Signed Uber Dummy
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent »

The tut works, Emraz.

Althoguh you´re probably sure you have done everything right, you have probably made a mistake somewhere.

Check if you have got the data_TES/Sound/worlds/TES/TES.req and the soundmunge.bat right....

Or better check everything again.

See, although I have added sounds a couple of times now on many maps... it does not always work for me the first time either...
mnl1121

Post by mnl1121 »

if u follow the tut exactly it WILL work EVERYtime you do it. If it doesn't work the first time try clicking select all then CLEAN (just like Rends tells u). It is garenteed to work if u do it correctly.

EDIT: Oh and i want to ask again. Does anyone know the strings for turrets? I can't complete my map without the turret sounds.
xwingguy

Post by xwingguy »

I've been trying to add "land sounds" to space. The sounds that space is missing are the infantry sounds and weapon sounds for classes not used in space. The problem is that I always get a MungeLog like so:

Code: Select all

soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 17 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias rep_weap_jetpack_turnoff
  - while munging C:\BF2_ModTools\data_SED\Sound\worlds\sed\sedgcw.sfx
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 19 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias com_mortar_launcher_fire
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 21 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias wpn_reconDroid_Launch
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 23 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias droid_probe_beeps_01
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 24 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias droid_probe_beeps_02
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 25 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias droid_probe_beeps_03
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 26 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias droid_probe_beeps_04
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 27 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias droid_probe_beeps_05
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 28 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias droid_probe_eng_lp
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 39 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias com_weap_shotgun_fire
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 41 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias wpn_throw01
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 42 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias wpn_throw02
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 43 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias wpn_throw03
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 44 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias wpn_throw04
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 45 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias wpn_throw05
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 47 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias com_buff_fire
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 50 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias buff_rally_effect
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 53 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias buff_regen_fire
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 54 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias buff_regen_effect
soundflmunge.exe : Warning : Files line 16 and 56 reference the same source file c:\windows\media\chord.wav.  rep_weap_jetpack_turnon will alias buff_invuln_fire
Stager00

Post by Stager00 »

4 hours so far on this...

Absolutely cant get the space flyer laser sounds in the game. I can get the engine sounds...but when I add the lasers and torperdo's...all flyer sounds stop. Anyone compiled a "space flyer" .sfx file yet?

I could use some help on this. The tutorial worls...but apparently finding the strings in the space maps is my problem.

Like I said...all i can get are the engine sounds(accel..decel)...but no lasers or weapons.
Rends
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Rends »

finding the correct sfx strings is the stuff everyone has to deal with.

Sometimes if you think you found them they still doesn´t work.
If it says awing gun in sfx it doesn´t mean that it was realy used (just an example dunno if it´s the case)
Well sometimes i get the feeling that the modtools are not the same version as the final game.
Anyway.
If you realy want to find the correct lines you will find them but they might not be the one you are looking for.
So sometimes it´s simple up to your ears.
Does anything on shipped maps sound similar to the sound you are looking for?
Check it! A good example is the Ywing rear gunner. You can search for the rest of your life to find the Ywing reargunner entries you
won´t find them because it use the sound of the clonewars chaingun.

Think different :-)
Stager00

Post by Stager00 »

The problem is i found the string to the ARC170...and when applied the engine works...but when i add the weapon sounds(they are commented out of the spa SFX file)...ALL vehicle sounds stop at that point.

Same thing with Rep gunship. each time i try to get weapons...the engines stop working....
Rends
Sith
Sith

Post by Rends »

Yes adding wrong entries will prevent the custom sounds to work.
So if they commented out they are not used. You still need to find the correct ones.
Stager00

Post by Stager00 »

Thanks Rends.

Will adding the wrong sounds cause a problem? For example...having the sfx call a sound that inst actually used?

in other words...i might have to put several sounds in to try to replace the missing sounds...will that cause problems?
froshthewookie

Post by froshthewookie »

Thanks Rends... I FINALLY got sounds working for GCW... CW is still not working though, and glancing through my files I can't see anything that I did wrong... I'll have to dig deeper when I get time...
mnl1121

Post by mnl1121 »

Stager00 wrote:Thanks Rends.

Will adding the wrong sounds cause a problem? For example...having the sfx call a sound that inst actually used?

in other words...i might have to put several sounds in to try to replace the missing sounds...will that cause problems?
yes adding wrong entries MIGHT cause problems.

for example iv been trying to get the turret sounds to work so i added entries that i thought would work. Well they don't so they must be the wrong entries. However my ATST and Combat Speeders sounds still work.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Rends or anyone else -
Has anyone gotten sounds to come over for locals in their custom map? Wampa, Acklay, Gammoreans, anything...I can't get them to work. I went through this tut a bunch and haven't been successful. Is there something different you have to do for locals?
PvtParts
Jedi
Jedi

Post by PvtParts »

From my experience, your probably not calling for the right thing in your req.

If you have the local sound files in the .sfx, but are unsure of what you need to use in your req to call for them, open the .snd files in the sound folder (with a txt editor - ultraedit works nicely) and look for the locals entry. Whatever the name of the sound file you find it in is what you need to put in your req.

So if your looking for geonosian sounds, your req needs to have geo1cw (you can find this in the geo sound folder, obviously the .snd file must be in with your world sounds, or else it wont find it. )
Captain_Mazda

Post by Captain_Mazda »

I'm having some problems with this. I followed Rends' instructions but replaced "tes" with "mvr" and any "cw" with "gcw". Basically I'm trying to get the AT-ST sounds for Mos Venur in GCW. After cleaning and munging, there is no "mvr.lvl" in the data_MVR\_LVL_PC\Sound folder. I only see a "global.lvl" and a "shell.lvl". I followed exact instructions and even cleaned everything and munged everything all over again. No mvr.lvl to be found in the Sound folder.
PvtParts
Jedi
Jedi

Post by PvtParts »

I know you said you followed his tutorial, but...

- Did you overwrite the old munge.bat in the Sould folder located in the Build Directory with Rends?

And

- Did you edit the soundmunge.bat found in the root directory of your mod appropraitly?

Those would most likely be the source of your issues. Other than that check the .reqs in the Sound folder, as thats the only other place the problem would lie. It has nothing to do with your lua. (though it would be smart to make sure you have the proper calls for your sound file in the lua while your searching for bugs)
Captain_Mazda

Post by Captain_Mazda »

I did all that.

EDIT
Can't release this map without working sounds though and I need them for the following vehicles:

-AT-ST
-AT-RT
-IFT-T
-Speederbike
-STAP
-AAC-1 Combatspeeder
-Droid Gunship
-Republic Gunship
-Alliance Gunship (possibly same strings as Rep)
-Imperial Shuttle
-TIE Fighter
-TIE Interceptor
-X-Wing
-A-Wing
-ARC-170
-Vulture Droid
-Droid Trifighter
-Republic Starfighter

Urk...
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

What happens? No sounds? Some sounds?
Captain_Mazda

Post by Captain_Mazda »

I've only tried the AT-ST. The problem is that the second part of Step 12 doesn't work for me. There was no mvr.lvl file to move. So no sounds.

EDIT
Alright, so I was troubleshooting it with Teancum and noticed that the soundmunge.bat had a quote after the last line since I had copied it directly from Rends' post, lol. I removed that and the mvr.lvl appeared perfectly. I moved it to the proper place in the mod map folder in the addon folder. Still no sounds for AT-ST in GCW.

EDIT2
I noticed in my GCW LUA I had written mvrcw.lvl instead of mvrgcw.lvl in the ReadData for the sounds. I corrected the error, re-cleaned and re-munged but still no sounds.
RC-1290

Post by RC-1290 »

Also when you have cleaned it, remove the mapfolder in your battlefront II folder... Sometimes such things can do the trick.....but I bet you tought of that as well..
Spacerocker

Post by Spacerocker »

Awesome simple tutorial Rends. I followed it to the letter and everything seemed to be going smoothly. That's great for someone like me who cant seem to do anything right on first attempt. I thought I was safe and everything was working but after I moved the tes.lvl file into the sound folder I created after munging it wasn't about 10kb but only 1kb.
What would cause that?