For all things related to AnthonyBF2's Battlefront PSP mod

Moderators: AnthonyBF2, Moderators

AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Re: Battlefront 2 (PSP) Upgrades + 5th Release

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Teancum wrote:Just say the word and I'll lock it up.
If it's locked, am I still allowed to edit my own posts including the OP?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

I think so. If not you can PM me to unlock it for a few hours here and there.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Teancum wrote:I think so. If not you can PM me to unlock it for a few hours here and there.
For now, please lock it. I am a bit tired of responding. I will go back to each page to see bugs people have reported and make sure they're taken care of.
When release day comes I will unlock this, but I also may make another thread in the released mod section.

EDIT: Temporary unlock.

I want to announce some progress, work to do and get some questions/feedback answered.

First I will announce I will be converting no more maps, unless someone sends me the assets to something good. I have finished all SWBF maps, fixed all graphical issues in most of the SWBF2 maps. Jabba's Palace and Geonosis (Both from SWBF2) are currently giving me issues but I aim to get those going soon.

The main things that need to (and will) be done:
1) Every map available shall have at least one CTF type mode (either 1 or 2 flag, or both)
2) Every map shall have hero assault
3) All stock space maps shall be up and running with at least one working mode (campaign, ctf, or assault)
4) All maps shall have free for all mode each with era C and G, except for single era maps.
5) There shall be at least 3 to 5 new vehicles throughout the whole game (Hovernaut, Tie Defender, Mini spider tank, undecided on others)
6) There shall be at least 3 new heroes throughout the whole game (Quigon, IG-88, undecided on others)
7) All campaign maps shall be playable but you'll have to select them individually from the map list like you would other modes

The following things have been done recently:
1) Fixed black spots in several maps, and now those maps look 100% normal - Coruscant, Death Star, SWBF1 Kamino and more
2) Added hero assault for most regular SWBF2 maps
3) Localized all of the command posts for SWBF1 maps
4) Added team 3 Wookiees for the Kashyyyk SWBF1 maps, which are hostile to CIS/Empire and friendly to Clones/Rebels.
5) Added a few more skin changer options for the rebels side
6) Fixed the buggy water textures on Death Star and a few other maps
7) Fixed SWBF1 Kamino's water and terrain stuff
8) Got the green open seat Naboo speeder on SWBF1 Naboo Theed, missing sounds though, planning to make new vehicles rely on existing vehicle sounds

I have one thing I am not sure how to approach with the whole mod and that is regarding localization. We've got two options:

1) Using a new localization file, we can localize new maps/modes/names/ and many other things with each so they don't look like [NULL] or 0x000000. How ever, using a new localize file results in many of the default PSP game's aspects to become unlocalized since we cannot locate the names of source entry strings to make entries for. The primary thing is the control layout screens. With the new localize file, those screens will for ever say [NULL].
2) The second option is to use a default localize file and have the entire default game unharmed when it comes to text issues. It's possible to add new entries to the old file but it is really challenging and time consuming. This needs to happen to new things like maps/modes don't look like [NULL].

So the thing I want to know from people is are you fine with a new file and a few broken things, or less broken things with a fix that will take a huge amount of time? I personally want to go with option one and keep using the new file while allowing the few less important things to remain broken.

The next thing I want to ask is that anyone interested in making more character skins?
At the time, most of the skins changers are only set for single characters and this disappoints me. I really want to have skin sets for entire teams. Such as as a whole urban layout for rebels, an entire desert layout for empire, an entire desert layout for clones and etc. I really don't have much graphic skill but I really want those things to be available. I am open to anyone's work and attempts, no matter how good/bad bits of work may be. For new people, editing skins is simple to start. You just need a free image editor like Paint.net or Gimp, and then edit the .tga files found in the SIDE assets in the SWBF2 Mod Tools. You can look in the modding FAQ for texture editing help and supplies. I personally do not feel like learning image editing stuff. I also really dislike working with the graphical side of things. I don't have much patience to learn advanced stuff within those applications.

I may have this thread locked again within the week so anyone who has something to say about anything I mentioned above, please make it fast. Anything anyone wants to send me can be sent via PM message as well, I don't bite. :wink:
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Regarding that last section, I am sure you can find most of those skins in the BFX source files.
RogueAssassin2488
Private First Class

Post by RogueAssassin2488 »

I have BFX skins if you want

But about maps
I have a really fun space to ground map but do you think PSP could run it?

Battle of teth is the name of the map

EDIT
"Battle Of umbara'' not Teth sorry

Double posting is against the RULES; please EDIT your post instead -Staff
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I looked in the BFX assets but there's not a lot of stuff I'd consider using to be honest. I already pillaged my way through those assets anyway and got the snow skins for rebel engineer and Bothans. I got a few clone skins too.

About the Battle of Umbara, I don't even know what that is. I've heard the name but I stopped keeping up with just about all mods due to life and my own project. If there's assets I will look at it, and remember without assets, a mod can't be put on the PSP game.
RogueAssassin2488
Private First Class

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mk3yp ... +Umbara.7z

this is a link to the Map i suggest you try it on the swbf2 PC
Space To Ground Map BTW
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Looked at it enough, it will never run on the PSP. Sky to ground maps just require too much stuff. I tried to make a few sky to ground maps on my won and they didn't run. Also the entire Umbara assets are not available so there isn't nothing I could have done anyway.

I'm not converting any more maps unless I can acquire assets to good things. My final objectives are just fixing [NULL] things and game modes.
RogueAssassin2488
Private First Class

So i belive the project is almost done so
You've Accomplished Finishing a Game with Basically DLC.....

so what are you gonna do after this?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

RogueAssassin2488 wrote:So i belive the project is almost done so
You've Accomplished Finishing a Game with Basically DLC.....

so what are you gonna do after this?
I am late turning in my first GED part so I really need to smash that soon. When I get some breathing time I'll convert the PSP mods for PS2, even though no one will probably ever play it - it'll be there though just in case. Right now I work baseball games at night and spend good chunks of day time at school. I usually only have time for mods when there's no baseball (it's usually 10 or so events at once then team travels to do away games)

I have a few projects going for the PC version I'd like to get back to at some point:
1) Droideka challenges campaign - still in a rough draft stage, less than 5% done
2) Vanilla overhaul mod - beginning stages, 5% done
3) Elite AI mod - mostly done, I have considered releasing what I have

To do for the rest of the PSP mod:
1) Add locals such as Gungans and Tuskens, maybe some SWBF1 vehicles such as Naboo Gian speeder and Naboo Starfighter
2) Fix as many [NULL] items as possible
3) Fix GC mode and the "challenges" - really considering making real challenges the player will be faced with instead of those scrawny little hunt missions
4) Setup up Rise of the Empire missions

Some things that will not be fixed on the PSP mod:
1) Missing sounds such as vehicle lasers and music and nature sounds
2) Some [NULL] items
3) Some of the custom maps won't have localized CP names as I don't really know what to name zones and territories
RogueAssassin2488
Private First Class

speaking of music could people add costume music it would be sweet to see some Force theme remix background
but i know every hero has a background so it would take a long time to change
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but I don't think we know the PSP/PS2 audio type, do we?
RogueAssassin2488
Private First Class

[PSP] Supported audio file formats

A PSP with the latest system software update supports the following audio formats.
MP3
MP4
ATRAC3plus
ATRAC3
WAV
WMA (WMA playback must be enabled)
AAC (. MP4)
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by DylanRocket »

RogueAssassin2488 wrote:[PSP] Supported audio file formats

A PSP with the latest system software update supports the following audio formats.
MP3
MP4
ATRAC3plus
ATRAC3
WAV
WMA (WMA playback must be enabled)
AAC (. MP4)
The PSP Media Player may support those formats but that doesn't mean the game does. :P

You could download a PSP plugin that plays music the background, it's easy to find if you google it.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I am assuming the PSP game uses the same audio format as PC but only with lower quality. On one of the sound threads we have I looked up the few tiny sound files that go in the core.lvl to make the menu beeps and click sounds, and it's been working perfect without any issues ever - but I may be wrong, the PSP game may be getting those sounds from another file but my core.req is setup to have them and there's never been an issue.

Keep in mind I can't even figure out the sound tutorials we have for PC, much less set them up how they need to be for PS2/PSP.
suLac
Private
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront I + II
xbox live or psn: suLac4ever (both)

Post by suLac »

AnthonyBF2 wrote:Some things that will not be fixed on the PSP mod:
2) ...
Is there anybody out there, who could help with that?
Battlefront without its iconic STAR WARS music would be like walking through desert ;)
... having the ambient theme and sfx would be great too :D
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

suLac wrote:
AnthonyBF2 wrote:Some things that will not be fixed on the PSP mod:
2) ...
Is there anybody out there, who could help with that?
Battlefront without its iconic STAR WARS music would be like walking through desert ;)
... having the ambient theme and sfx would be great too :D
I don't think the PSP game even supports nature sounds. I listened to all the maps on PC and PSP and I didn't hear anything at all. No wind on Hoth, no scrambled voices and engines on Mos Eisley, No desert winds, etc.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

IIRC there's only two audio channels for the PSP version. One is for SFX and the other is for streams, which is why there are no voiceovers in the vanilla PSP game as the stream channel is taken up by the music. When the voices are restored, you sacrifice the music. I'm going to hazard a guess this would apply to the ambient sounds too.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

ggctuk wrote:IIRC there's only two audio channels for the PSP version. One is for SFX and the other is for streams, which is why there are no voiceovers in the vanilla PSP game as the stream channel is taken up by the music. When the voices are restored, you sacrifice the music. I'm going to hazard a guess this would apply to the ambient sounds too.
This is good to know but I am not sure what I could have changed that switched one or the other. The only sounds I've messed with are related to the core.req. (The beep and click sounds)

Edit, You know I got an idea now thanks to that information. I think the command post odf files have parameters related so sound. In the default PSP game, there's no voice overs and the music works. On the new maps I've added (or the existing maps I changed) I used the command posts odf files from the mod tools, which has the voice over functions, and guess what? The voice overs work, you hear stuff like "We captured a command post" and etc. So I am thinking I need to figure out the right odf settings for the command post files... then redo them for all the maps so the music can/may work again. Not having voice overs is also why I suspect the PSP game has the text messages added like "The Empire captured the Cantina" and etc.

Edit, Bingo! It's in the map Lua files. In the PSP mod, every single map Lua has been replaced by a custom script or a script from the mod tools assets. They have several sound functions related to sounds such as voice overs, music, and ambient streams. I did some research in the PSP game's default mission.lvl and the map scripts only have Lua functions for the music. So I know what to do do now to get the music back, but just like it is by default, there will be no command post VO or nature streams, which is fine. I agree with the others that the music matters most in a Star Wars game. There will still be sounds related to weapons, vehicles, and characters of course, they come from somewhere else.
RogueAssassin2488
Private First Class

Its Sad to note the Creators of the Original Game (Savage Entertainment)
Put Little Effort in this game the didn't even finish Mustafar