Battlefront Republic Commando [V 1.6]

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Re: Battlefront Republic Commando

Post by Anakin »

AirspeedRedux wrote:Okay, so I played through the mod a while today and I have a few topics to address.

Gameplay - Lots and lots of fun, the units are just awesome to play, weapons are pretty good for the most part. Not a lot of variety amongst the commandos but that's to be expected, there isn't that much. Maybe you could add the wookie bowcaster or something to the first unlockable unit, because otherwise he has the same primary weapons as the awesome 6th commando. But otherwise, pretty darn cool. CIS we're actually not horrible to play as either, the Trandoshan is awesome and the SBD is pretty good too.

Balance - Here's where issues begin to show, I felt that if I played as the Republic I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of CIS reinforcements and despite my best efforts I just ran out of troops before they did. I agree that this makes it more challenging, but I think you could close the gap between the Republics reinforcements and the CIS' and make some changes to the CIS side. While the Super Battle Droid is a powerful unit and strong, I'm almost willing to say it should have a little more shielding, it's supposed to be menacing and I still feel like if I just strafe and hide behind objects I can kill it pretty quickly. It might work better if it took a little bit more to destroy one! Another addition I really think you should make to the CIS is a Magnaguard with a lightning staff or whatever. In the game Republic Commando those things were insane and could tear through your whole squad, it would really help cut through all those shielded commando's and make it not so important to have huge CIS reinforcement numbers. Another last minute unit idea I had was you could give a trandoshan some random sword or knife model you find hanging around online and give them Aayla Secura's attack and it would be like the Trando's in RC that run at you for melee attacks; just an idea. I just found it kind of hard to win as the CIS unless I just wore down the Republics reinforcements. Both sides should be able to dominate one another in the hands of a good player!

Appearances: Everything from the earlier builds is cleared up, the weapon models for the Commandos are FANTASTIC. I really think they look nice. Same with the skins on some of the CIS units. One suggestion I have for the Commandos is cleaning up the skins a bit, maybe organizing the colours a bit so they look painted on instead of just splotches. I do like the skins you have now, but they have the potential to be very very nice and I think you can do it! Another cool thing would be to have the Night Ops commandos on levels like Polis Massa and Naboo. Something like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HNeKsuJPsPs/T ... hArmor.jpg

It'd just provide a cool contrast instead of playing as the same 6 skins every single map, but I do really like what you've done with the skins so far.

Issues - As I mentioned in my PM earlier, somehow my game has been turned into German and I have no idea how to fix that, any help would be appreciated!

Additionally there are issues with the mod on Marvel4's maps, some of the levels the mod isn't even on the selection list, and the others one you can start, choose a side, but there's no spawn points and the levels look all black. Somethign to look into!

For the most part though this mod is looking pretty Diet Dr. Pepper awesome, I love playing it and the additions you've made definitely make the game a little more fun! It has the potential to be a REALLY great mod, just by making some more additions and/or edits like the ones I mentioned above would make it stand out!

Good luck man, and get back to me! Thanks for letting me help you out with these Beta's!
Thanks for your comment. We will thought of new RC weapons. We also thought of doing random colored clones. Also the Trandos will be remade a bit. And for the RCs i will play around a bit with the inside flags. have you maybe some ides for that?
To fix the german part pls read the folowing report
ARCTroopaNate wrote:1. The BFI maps do not work, you cannot spawn, and the screen is black
2. The launcher was missing localizations
3. Everything was in German, I have the english vwersion of the game and everything was localized in German, I can do english localiztions for you if you want? :D
4. The Super Battle Droid is too slow, perhaps he should have less health and be faster, I like that he is slow but it took me about five minutes to walk from one platform to another on Kamino. :D
5. The CIS does not have a hero but the Republic does? Perhaps Sun Fac could be the CIS Hero
6. The CIS has 7 or 8 units and the Republic has only six, maybe the Republic can also have a Wookiee Warrior as a class, or a regular Clone Trooper as a class. There should be an even number of units and heroes on each side.
7. Maybe you can add AI Heroes, using Archers hero support script
8. The CIS Sniper rifle had waaaay too much cool down time, make it do more damage and take less time to cool down.
9. The Republic engineer was the most Overpowered class I've ever seen! Just lower his Health and Ammo packs to 5 instead of infinity. :O
10. The Geonosian Elite should be waaaaay stronger, he should have a better gun (perhaps you can create a new effect for it) and he should also have more health and be able to fly much longer in the air.
11. The regular geonosian should have a force pike isntead of a sonic blaster if you want him to be like RC.

Otherwise, much better than the first beta, all the icons are there, as well as localizations, good job! :D
thanks for your comments.

1. Yes i remembert this too, but have no idea how to fix now.

2. I post you how to fix that

3. i made also the english localizatins, the error is in the luncher telling the game you are german. Maybe you can upload your original luncher.xml and i can made an english version, too.

4. I have the RC game, and i think the SKD isn't too slow and i think he needs more health and not less.

5. yes we thought of removing all heros, or use Delta Squad for the rep, i wanted Darth Maul for the CIS, but he and the Magnaguard crash the game.

6. For Heros see 5. The rep will not get some more units. maybe they get random colored units. The RCs are elite soldieres. they don't need so much troopers. If you play Mos Eisley, Jabbas palace, Kashyyyk you can see phase I troopers as local sides. if possible i will add them to the naboo map too.

7. wanted this, but haven't found it.

8. can and will fix this

9. ok i'll think about this

10. i have RC till three days. i remembert this too. I tought of scale them up too.

11. mh do you know such a weapon?
Marvel4
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Marvel4s BF1 Conversion Pack + Era Mod

Post by Marvel4 »

ARCTroopaNate wrote:1. The BFI maps do not work, you cannot spawn, and the screen is black
@Anakin:
You have to change the luas:
ReadDataFile("dc:RVH\\Rhn1.lvl", "Rhenvar1_conquest")
Just remove the "dc:" and add "..\\..\\addon\\XXX\\data\\_LVL_PC\\" so it looks like this:
ReadDataFile("..\\..\\addon\\RVH\\data\\_LVL_PC\\RVH\\Rhn1.lvl", "Rhenvar1_conquest")
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Ah there is the error. i only removed the dc. i think i have to do the same with the soundfiles right?

How to fix the games language after adding the luncher

1. browse to your install folder and open the luncher.xml

2. find this part

Code: Select all

<!-- German -->	
	<LanguageResources name="German" lang="LANG_GERMAN" sublang="SUBLANG_NEUTRAL">
	<StringTableResource path="Install\strings\german\launcher.tab" />
</LanguageResources>
it sould be at line 540.

3. open your original luncher.xml and find this part there to.

4. remove the language part of the new xml with the original. And save it. I don't have the english xml file, but i think it's something like this:

<!-- English -->	
	<LanguageResources name="English" lang="LANG_ENGLISH" sublang="SUBLANG_NEUTRAL">
	<StringTableResource path="Install\strings\english\launcher.tab" />
</LanguageResources>
this sould work for the other languages, too.

please tell me if this works.
Marvel4
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by Marvel4 »

Anakin wrote:Ah there is the error. i only removed the dc. i think i have to do the same with the soundfiles right?
Yes, replace every "dc:".
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

still doesn't work. it crashes without log.

Are you sure it needs to be this?
..\\..\\addon
and not
..\\addon
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

From the screenshots of this mod, I would say it looks okay, pretty decent. Now what you have to do is start making adjustments that make your mod stand out among the crowd. I mean, I can already hear Mav's review on SWBF Filles: "Yet another overpowered commando, sigh...". Start thinking big with what you can do. First of all in this day and age, there have to be some variety between the maps. You simply can't have the same set of sides exactly on every map, people play mods to get away from the vanilla-ness of the stock maps. Make some commando reskins, add glow to the visors, reskin some battle droids. Try making some new effects in particle editor, you know, add some little touches. Maybe add some recoil to commando weapons, maybe do a HUD modification. The point is anakin, you've been around on gametoast for a long time. Put the knowledge you've picked up to work in some interesting ways. Heck, maybe even make a map or two. Take your mod from :shock: to :eek:
AcaelusThorne
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Republic Commando Side Mod
Games I'm Playing :: SWBII
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by AcaelusThorne »

Anakin wrote:After the Reports and fixing the last problems i will release the first Version.
A campaigne and some new maps will folow.
The maps, new commando skins and HUD are already planed/in work. :wink:
The glow for the Visor is a good idear though. :)
Thanks for the comments.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I echo willinator's sentiments.

Oh and, in regards to the sound. This is an example of a line that works.

ReadDataFile("..\\..\\addon\\TCW\\data\\_LVL_PC\\sound\\TCW_Sounds.lvl")
AirspeedRedux
Private Second Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by AirspeedRedux »

willinator wrote: I can already hear Mav's review on SWBF Filles: "Yet another overpowered commando, sigh...".
I respect Mav incredibly for his insight into the game and his work on it as well, but why are certain members of this community obsessed with his opinion?

That said, I agree with the rest of your post.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

We're obsessed with Mav's opinion because, well, he just knows so well what it takes for a mod to be of industry-level quality.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

It would be like getting tips on a paper you wrote by a published (and successful) writer.
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

The reason I mentioned his name is because of the common-ness of his remark. I didn't reference him because of his stature, but because of how he would react to this. That little "quote" was demonstrating there are already a lot of mods with op commandos.
AirspeedRedux
Private Second Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by AirspeedRedux »

Fair play to all of you, maybe I misinterpreted the point you were trying to get across Willinator, I just get a bad taste in my mouth when somebody says "______ won't like it, so change it for that reason." All the other points you made are sound and without judgement, I just overreacted I guess!

No harm, no foul.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

willinator wrote:The reason I mentioned his name is because of the common-ness of his remark.
Off-topic: If it is so common, could you possibly provide several examples of such an occurrence? :o
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

I have some problems and i hope you can help me with them.

1. Rhen Var Harbour, Rhen Var Citadel, Tatooine dune sea are added to the script, but are not shown in the game with RC mod. only stock BFII mod. The maps Bespin Cloudcity, plattform, and both BFI kashyyyk maps work.

2. i cannot move the HUD anymore. after i turned it to be in front of the viewpoint, and moved it a bit nearer it now can not be moved anymore. i cannot scaled it more up and i cannot move it nearer to the Viewpoint.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Anakin wrote:1. Rhen Var Harbour, Rhen Var Citadel, Tatooine dune sea are added to the script, but are not shown in the game with RC mod. only stock BFII mod. The maps Bespin Cloudcity, plattform, and both BFI kashyyyk maps work.

This is an addme glitch I ran across when making TCW. You can't add an era mod to a custom map if the modid begins with letters R-Z. The work around is to recreate the other map's addme.script to add your era mod to it.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

:? can someone do this for me?
Marvel4
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by Marvel4 »

You can fix this by renaming your mod so it starts with a "Z".
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

so do you mean my mod code (RCM) or my Era name (r)?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

He means your mod code (i.e. ZQ5 like one of my mod's IDs).