Gun Game Mode 2.0 [Updated]

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Gun Game Mode 2.0 [Updated]

Post by razac920 »

This major scripting mod attempts to recreate the Gun Game Mode found in Call of Duty and Counter-Strike. For people not familiar with this, it is essentially a special variant of a free-for-all match. There are no teams, each player begins with a "hero weapon", usually a lightsaber, and advances through different weapons in order. The weapons get increasingly weaker with time, making the game more balanced. Even a veteran player will struggle to take down a beginner Jedi with just a blaster pistol. Additionally, advancing to the next class (and the next weapon) requires an increasing number of kills. The first class only takes 1 kill to advance through, while the second takes 2, the third takes 3, and so on, up to 20 for the last one. There are exactly 20 classes in each map, with randomized classes each game, based on the possible classes normally seen there. In the simplest terms, every player must go around getting as many kills as possible to cycle through all the weapons in the game, from strongest to weakest.

While I have already released a 1.0 version of this mod, there are many differences. The weapon order has been reversed, so players end with, rather than begin with, a pistol. Due to multiplayer restraints, I've had to reduce the weapon count from 60 to 20, however, I've ensured the weapons have more variety than before (no more switching from a Rebel blaster rifle to an Imperial one). This mod OUGHT to be Multiplayer compatible, I am trying to get that to work, but at the present it is untested. Thus, the two team scores shown are now the max and min scores of all the players, rather than the high for the solo human player. It still is only on Tantive IV, but other maps are on the way before release. As before, every weapon and model is stock, the mod is entirely scripting. Players spawn anywhere, there are no command posts, players have infinite ammo, and there is no way to regain health. The models now correspond to the weapons, so you'll see a Republic commander with a chaingun, a Scout Trooper with a sniper rifle, and a Bothan spy with an incinerator. The only exception to this is the flamethrower, which regular soldiers can use too. Finally, another new feature is a tracking system, so that the player(s) who are in first place have an icon over them, to mark them as targets.

All the difficult scripting work is now done, all that is left is to test it online.
Last edited by razac920 on Mon May 26, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AcaelusThorne
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Republic Commando Side Mod
Games I'm Playing :: SWBII
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Gun Game Mode 2.0

Post by AcaelusThorne »

Nice to see you did some progress on this. It looks like you took the normal unlock the next class system (please correct me if I'm wrong) and I'd like to know if you lock the class from before as you level up. Otherwise you could always just run about with a lightsaber/the strongest weapon instead using the new weeker weapon you are supposed to use because that obviously wouldn't make any sense for the levels then.
I also like that every weapon uses its own class now, so that on the one hand you can see which weapon your opponed uses and on the other hand have more unique levels since the jet-trooper can use his jet-pack the scout is faster and so on. That is what I always liked about Gun Game: You have to be good with all weapons to win. In normal Gametyps where you choose your class/weapon I usually end up only playing one or two different classes with which I am the best with. Also noone can say "Oh you noob stop using ******** (insert random OP class just like engineer )
Keep it going :wink:
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Thanks. Yes, it really is just the normal point unlock system, carrying over to both teams, so Player Select teams in multiplayer is essential. I just have each class last 1 more kill than the one before it, so the initial point unlocks are 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, 28, ... and so on. To answer your other question, yes, the earlier classes become "locked" once you've pass them. I can't edit the point requirements for them, since that affects everyone, but anyone who attempts to spawn as an earlier class will be forced into a new one. Also, you automatically switch classes once you've gotten the necessary kills. Finally, even if you find a loophole to play as a different class (or just if you get a double kill with a rocket launcher/lightsaber) only the kills you obtain with the "current" class will count in your favor. For example, if you have a rocket launcher, and need only one kill to advance, then a double kill will only count as 1. Though if you needed 2, both would count and you'd advance. And yes, I like having each weapon have a (generally) unique class. This can't always be the case, since I believe I use the sniper class for both sniper rifles and pistols, but generally the speed, health, jet powers, force jump, etc. vary with the weapons. And yes, you need to be good at every weapon to win, you can't just rely on your "traditional" choices.
Locutus
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Stargate Battlefront Pegasus

Post by Locutus »

Yeah, that's excatly what I'm looking for! :D
I'd love to play this online with my friends :)

My time is somewhat limited but I can help you do some online tests if you like.
DarthSolous
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Halo Minecraft

Post by DarthSolous »

Kewl :mrgreen: keep up the good work young jedi
Hidden/Spoiler:
EliteJay
Private Second Class
Projects :: Star Destroyer V1.0
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII SWRC

Post by EliteJay »

I loved the 1.0 version myself! And to see you workin on a 2.0 is really awesome! If you need anyone to test it online me and 2 of my clan members could do it no problem for you.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Some bad news - it's not multiplayer compatible. The game crashes for everyone but the host whenever anyone gets a kill. It does work properly in singleplayer though... I will try to come up with a workaround, but this might have to be singleplayer only as well
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: AotC DoW+++Boonta Eve Classic
Games I'm Playing :: WoT MBWBVC Robocraft

Post by Jaspo »

Sounds fun. I always found it a little odd that BF2 makes it easier for you as you get better.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

After a VERY long hiatus due to classes, I am happy to report that I am working on this mode once more. I've rewritten a lot of code to make this more streamlined, so that it can easily be added to other maps. I've changed the weapon list and order considerably, and added a little "easter egg" as a final weapon (conveniently missing from the new pictures I've added below. I think I MIGHT have figured out why it hadn't been multiplayer compatible, and have been able to fix it. However, I'm not able to test it on my own, so anyone who is interested is more than welcome to beta test it, just let me know.
Hidden/Spoiler:
PRECISION
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Full Sail University
Games I'm Playing :: StarWars Battlefront
xbox live or psn: PREICISON733

Re: Gun Game Mode 2.0 [Updated]

Post by PRECISION »

Awesome! I never got the first one working so hopfully this new on will work
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

AWESOME MAN! I love Gun Game on Call Of Duty but i LOVED it on Battlefront 2 more and now you are in the making of a Version 2.0! If you were beta testing this, then I would be honored to test this out!
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

New Update:
Preliminary testing suggests this mod works online!
Changed around the weapon list slightly (moved wookiee bowcaster, added lightsaber as final weapon)
Multiplied bot counts by 5 (now up to 160 bots!)
Added to many maps:
Coruscant
Dagobah
Death Star
Endor
Felucia
Geonosis
Hoth
Jabba's Palace
Kamino
Kashyyyk
Mos Eisley
Mustafar
Mygeeto
Naboo
Polis Massa
Tantive IV
Utapau
Yavin IV

All four factions present on Mustafar:
Hidden/Spoiler:
To do:
Make a stand alone free-for-all game mode (similar to Zerted's Tantive IV Deathmatch)
More online compatibility testing

I still need more online testing done before release, so anyone who would like to be a tester, please let me know!
Last edited by razac920 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Locutus
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by Locutus »

Hey razac920,

we tried to play the mod on a lan yesterday (4 people) but unfortunately it didn't work properly:(
Shortly after the game started everyone crashed to desktop but the host. My buddies rejoined the game but as soon as I made the first kill all clients CTD'ed again.
We played the map without bots.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Hm that is strange because other testers WERE able to get it to work online, so I have an idea: It's possible that I updated the link after you downloaded it but before your friends downloaded it. Then as you were the host, the other players (with the newer version) might CTD because of out of sync errors, not scripting errors. If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could all redownload from the same link and try it again? I won't be making any more changes for awhile.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

I noticed it also depends on the host. I know that one person on my end was able to host without very many problems, but when I and another person tried hosting it was more prone to crashes. I should mention after testing more recently that in some cases my fellow testers were able to join my server and crashed shortly after on coursaunt. On another recent test another person hosted and i was able to join the server, however becuase he didnt set the options to player select, I was forced on the higher level options which were all locked classes. However for the time I was there, the server was still going on for at least another 7 minutes before I took off. The other person was playing while I was there spectating more or less, but on the same server with the recent update.
Locutus
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by Locutus »

Yeah, sure, we'll give it another try with different hosts. Might take some time tough, we don't meet that often.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Yeah no worries, just whenever you can. I suppose I could add a timer which moves new players from team 2 to team 1 so they can spawn, but past experience suggests that the game mode is just unstable if autoassign is on, so perhaps it is best to just tell people to have player select on and not have more scripts running, slowing the game down. I think I will update to limit multiplayer bot counts though -- I don't want people hosting with the default settings and not realize 80 bots will crash the server, so for multiplayer I will replace the 5*[conquest settings] with just [conquest settings], so no more than 32 bots in multiplayer (hopefully this is not too much).

EDIT: So I've finished adding this mode to every map, fixing the minimap bugs, adjusting the MP bot count settings, etc. All that is left is more online testing, so testers, if I could have some more feedback on any issues in this (final?) version, that would be great -- I'd like to release this very soon. If there's anyone else who is interested in testing, please let me know. Thanks!