Tientia: Downfallen

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Tientia: Downfallen

Post by Fiodis »

After taking a break from modding for a long, long time, I decided to come back to it for a while. Of the three maps I've released, my favorite has been Tientia: Naval Engagement. Unfortunately it also has several bugs which I'm quite upset with myself for never having fixed.

So I decided to create a complete reboot. I'd lost the source files anyway, so as long as I was rebuilding from scratch I might as well make large changes all over the place.

A couple months later, I've made enough progress to show the unfinished product, Tientia: Downfallen.
Premise: The GAR's 364th Aqueous Legion arrived in the Tientia system to investigate reports of a CIS-sympathetic pirate syndicate forming in the area. As their Venator entered orbit around the system's only habitable planet, a blast from the surface disabled it, and it crash-landed by the side of an eroded impact crater, which had filled with rainwater to become a lake. On the far side, the pirates mobilized from a hidden hanger to finish off the Republic troops.

Featuring vehicle combat over a lake and two custom sides, Downfallen is a spiced-up version of the original.
Screenshots:
Downed Venator:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Pirate base:
Hidden/Spoiler:
364th vehicles:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Pirate vehicles:
Hidden/Spoiler:
364th Legion:
Rifleman, Rocketeer, Sharpshooter, and Engineer all use this unit mesh:
Hidden/Spoiler:
364th Legionnaire (Heavy assault rifle, grenade thrower, combat knife melee attack):
Hidden/Spoiler:
364th Hazard Trooper (Underhand flamethrower, combat knife melee attack, may add more):
Hidden/Spoiler:
Pirates:
Trandoshan Slaver (ACP Repeater, combat knife):
Hidden/Spoiler:
Clawdite Assassin (Cycler sniper rifle, combat knife):
Hidden/Spoiler:
Corellian Infiltrator (Disruptor rifle, stealth field generator, detpacks, combat knife):
Hidden/Spoiler:
Wookiee Madclaw (Custom Bowcaster, Melee Claws):
Hidden/Spoiler:
The pirate skins are all WIP, with the exception of the Corellian Infiltrator. All units have some form of melee attack, either BFX-style or, in the Madclaw's case, combo driven. Still need to add more platforms throughout the lake with CPs on them, and route the pathing so the AI don't keep drowning themselves.

I'm quite proud of the sky - I was surprised that a simple, near-monochrome texture would fit in so well in-game. It's particularly nice when occasional lightning flashes reveal the trees and rocks around the edges of the lake as dark shapes against a lighter backdrop.

Thoughts, comments, flames, jawas?
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront - Tides of War
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 RC EAW
xbox live or psn: I have ps4

Re: Tientia: Downfallen

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

Really enjoyed the first version and the 2nd is looking fantastic as well!
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Ambiance, dawg! Do you have it?!? (in the form of (a) sound stream(s)) :o

Other than that, it's looking pretty good. :thumbs:
Locutus
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Stargate Battlefront Pegasus

Post by Locutus »

Looks very nice!
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

The first version was one of the first maps I downloaded. I really enjoyed the first one, and this one looks great too! Quick question: will there be moving Kamino platforms? :P
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Fiodis »

There won't be moving anything except vehicles. That barge was too buggy. I toyed with the idea of linking some bases together with walkways for foot combat, but the distances were a bit large.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Is the pirate base made from the core ship from the Utapau assets? If so, that's a really clever use of it. It blends right into the terrain.

If I understand correctly, there isn't really any infantry combat, so why bother with all the unit classes, besides aesthetic appeal?
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Fiodis »

The base is from Utapau with a couple reworked Polis Massa textures slapped on.

The unit classes are mainly for aesthetic appeal; one thing that bothered me with the original Tientia was how the pirate side's units felt like they had no relation to each other, and that they were just a side for me to tinker with weapon odfs - as, indeed, they were.

This time around I've decided to give them a uniform dark-blue-and-grey/black theme to convey the impression that the pirate faction is actually a faction. It's working out all right, imo:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
They look different than the stock units, but that's about it. Apart from the melee and a couple weapons here and there, they're really built on the stock setup, with four base classes and two unlockables (yes, I know there's only four shown here). That setup works for me, I don't want to change it much.

Though with all the vehicle action I have been wondering if it wouldn't be better to switch to the space template, with just two classes per faction.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

The blue outfits look great on everyone except the wookiee, because it looks like he dyed his fur blue. :P
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Fiodis »

Hmm. That's supposed to be black fur.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

I guess that it does look black now that I look at it. My bad.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

I think the space template might work better. Maybe there could be one extra unlockable unit for each faction to spice things up. Just my thoughts though.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Fiodis wrote:Hmm. That's supposed to be black fur.
The fur looks fine, but his lips make him look like he belongs in The Jazz Singer. They could probably do with blending in a little better to avoid invoking unintentionally unfortunate stereotypes.
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Post by RevanSithLord »

Maveritchell wrote:
Fiodis wrote:Hmm. That's supposed to be black fur.
The fur looks fine, but his lips make him look like he belongs in The Jazz Singer. They could probably do with blending in a little better to avoid invoking unintentionally unfortunate stereotypes.
:lol: Yeah, I was gonna mention that the lips looked a bit odd.

I was gonna mention something maybe about a possible face paint pattern as well? Perhaps with the dark-blue you're using for the faction. Nothing too big, but perhaps it adds a bit more to that he's a part of the same faction rather than merely just a Wookiee with black fur. Just my thoughts there.

Map's looking brilliant so far, though, Fiodis. :thumbs:
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II KOTOR

Post by Generalfacu »

Awesome. :thumbs: