The Warehouse - WIP [cancelled]

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

zwyx1234
Lance Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Insurgency
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

The Warehouse - WIP [cancelled]

Post by zwyx1234 »

Hello gametoast! This is my first project. The Warehouse is a very small, underground warehouse map. I have always been a huge fan of small maps. The map is entirely indoors and features custom sides and props. Here are some screenshots!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwn55j8mu5r82 ... t_0000.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bomziths6o2rw ... t_0001.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tugknnbeu433e ... t_0002.png

The map is about 80% complete. It just needs some finishing touches, localization, and gameplay testing.

EDIT:

Credits:
Taivyx for his terra strie assets. Sorry for not putting this in the original post! :oops:
THEWULFMAN for his bedrock texture.
Lucasfart for his crates.
Last edited by zwyx1234 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: The Warehouse - WIP

Post by Marth8880 »

Dropbox images don't work. Put the images in your Public folder; to get a public file's (or image's in this case) link, right-click the file and select "Copy public link" and post it in an [img] tag.

That said, you should definitely add some lighting (maybe use Jabba's Palace's or Tantive IV's?) and replace that quacky terrain texture with a better, higher-res one. I'd also like to see a layout of the map if you have one; custom models are always a plus if they're implemented correctly, so this map definitely has a lot of potential! :thumbs:
zwyx1234
Lance Corporal

Post by zwyx1234 »

Yeah I still need to add lighting. Do you have a brown terrain texture I could use? Also, when I downloaded dropbox, I didnt have a public folder. I created one, but right clicking on my image only says "share public link". Any ideas? I read online somewhere that they were removing that feature, but existing users got to keep it.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

Map looks pretty interesting! However, the lighting doesn't seem to match the rest of the environment, and the floor looks pretty strange. The texture of the boxes being "submerged" into the floor is a bit odd-looking. Also, the map could really benefit from some other, more colorful / visually interesting props. Hope this helps; you've got a good foundation to the map - now make it great.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Dropbox had to stop giving people Public folders. There is a workaround to continue to use Dropbox to host images and use IMG tags but I forget it at this moment.

As for terrain texture, I'd be happy to help but it'd be nice to know what the terrain is other than "brown" as I might not find what you want.

As for the map itself it looks like it has a lot of potential. You've not committed the first criminal sin of new modder maps, and that's REALLY BIG and empty. so that's great.

I'll wait till it's closer to completion to make further judgments beyond echoing the people before me.
zwyx1234
Lance Corporal

Post by zwyx1234 »

The map is supposed to be a sealed, underground warehouse. So a sort of bedrock texture, I guess, would be great.

That brings me to another question...How did the terrorists get in if its sealed? I will make a door in that case! Perhaps a bank vault type of deal.

Here is a to do list:

-Make the crates not sunken into the ground. Good catch!
-Add lighting. Probably a directional light in the hallway, and several white static lights throughout the map.
-Add more variety of crates, and barrels too. Some metal ones, and other types of wooden ones. This is to give the map more variety. Heck, explosive or breakable props might be pretty cool too!

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. I whole heartedly appreciate it!

And I will add taivyx to the credits. How dare I use his amazing assets and not give him credits in my W.I.P page... my bad.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Real bedrock is grey-blue, not brown. So here, see if you like this.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Click the image to download the TGA.
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by lucasfart »

If you want, I can probably release a set of wooden crates & barrels I made a while back. They'd certainly work a lot better for a confined map like that. :) Just give me a while and I'll stick them up. :D

EDIT: Here they are! They should hopefully be of use to you. :)

LINK
zwyx1234
Lance Corporal

Post by zwyx1234 »

Wow, thanks guys! I think that the texture and those crates will do work nicely! Thanks a lot! :D
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

Wow, this looks really good for a first map, especially because it uses custom objects. Well done! The only thing I wonder is, are all the rooms and hallways just corridors with crates in them? If so, you may want to have a room or two with other stuff in it, like a power generator or something, just to add variety to the map.
zwyx1234
Lance Corporal

Post by zwyx1234 »

Hm.... I will consider that. Basically, right now the map is just a bunch of rooms with crates in them. I did add a bank vault type door to the one end of the map. Do you know, williniator, of any small power generator type assets that could be used? Right now both sides of the map are more or less identical, which helps for balance. However, something like a small scale hoth shield generator thingy could fit in nicely at the back of the room! I dont think I will make an entire room dedicated to the power generator though. Thanks for the suggestion!
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

A quick option might be the Mygeeto shield generator.
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

If you want I can try and model a custom generator type thing, just PM me what you'd like (maybe some reference pictures) and what size and I'll try to get it done. Been pretty busy with school lately, but if it's not an overly complicated model/texture I should be able to get it done within a few days.
zwyx1234
Lance Corporal

Post by zwyx1234 »

Hello everyone.

After some thought I dont think I will add a power generator. I dont think it would fit in.

In other news, I have an update.

-I have added weapon firing sounds, subject to change.
-Marth and THEWULFMAN have/are alpha testing/ed my map.

Whats left to do:

Polish, Polish, Polish! Including but not limited to the following:
-From the alpha testing, so far I will make the map bigger, and lower AI count. More changes may come.
-Localization
-Fix of floating icons
-Addition of lighting

After that, expect a public beta release! Beta stage will last approximately 1 week. From the public beta feedback more changes will occur, and after that I will release a version 1.0 of the mod.

After v1.0 we will be strictly looking for bugs that affect visuals and/or gameplay (IE getting stuck in the walls or crates, floating icons, etc.) From there a v1.1, v1.2, etc. will be released as patches.

I'm expecting approximately another 2 weeks of work, 1 week of beta, and 1 week for changes. So by roughly the middle/end of October expect v1.0. :D

Notes:
I encourage everyone to do the following
-Google "what makes a good map" or something along those lines. Look at references of counter strike or others and get good ideas of how a map should be like. Then incorporate into swbf2. This is where I got my timeline and polishing ideas from.
-Organization is important, so are deadlines. Stick to it and soar! :) In other words, stay motivated!
-Yotube/google tutorials, read all of GT's tutorials, and ask for help if needed. This is how I have learned to start modding and modelling. Reading the docs shipped with the tools is also a helpful reference.

Enjoy!

IMPORTANT EDIT:

I am cancelling this project. I learned a LOT, but it doesnt play well....Im now making a new, small outdoor map with a world war one theme.