WWI: Death Mountain - WIP [updated 2014/01/6]

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

zwyx1234
Lance Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Insurgency
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

WWI: Death Mountain - WIP [updated 2014/01/6]

Post by zwyx1234 »

This is a simple project I started after cancelling my previous one. I learned a lot from my warehouse map, and now im going to present...

WWI: Death Mountain

The map takes place in a wintery forest somewhere in Europe. The map has foliage and trenches. The conflict is the center two trenches, and whoever can capture the center CP should be able to overrun the hostiles. This map will feature:

-Snowy props and foliage.
-Some custom crates.
-Custom weather. Suggestions for times of the day are welcome.

The sides will feature:

-Two unit classes with custom models (more than just a re-skin, or a REALLY good re-skin).
-Custom weapons
-New grenade effect.
-The layout of the classes is as follows:

Code: Select all

German Rifleman:
-Gewehr 98
-Luger P08

German Anti-Trench Unit:
-Madsen Light Machine Gun
-(classic) Stick Grenade

British Rifleman:
-(classic) Lee Enfield
-Webley revolver

British Anti-Trench Unit:
- Hotchkiss Light Machine Gun
-(classic) Mills Bomb
The (classic) means that, to me, they are classic weapons for the time. Interpret as you see fit, but it has no significance to the mod.

Why two classes? I think it would be fun to change it up a bit. That, and it means I can focus on my quality of work, over quantity. I can make 4 really good units/re-skins rather than having the traditional class setup and having it be not as good.

The map itself is nothing special, this is a simple project, meant to be fun. Screenshots:
Hidden/Spoiler:
credits to bobfinkl for the snowy foliage.
Last edited by zwyx1234 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimmyAngler
High General
High General
Projects :: Battlefront Halation
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1-2-2015
xbox live or psn: none

Re: WWI: Death Mountain - WIP

Post by JimmyAngler »

nice! Would you like my stick grenade? I have one that I made lying around somewhere and it looks pretty sweet.

pics are in the 3d modeling and animation thread under models/Stick Grenade.
zwyx1234
Lance Corporal

Post by zwyx1234 »

That would be really nice, JimmyAngler. I will look at some of the pictures provided I can find them. :)

EDIT: Found them. Looks great, send the lower-poly mesh my way, in .msh format with appropriate .tga(s) as well. If you cant export to .msh then .obj format works too for the mesh.
JimmyAngler
High General
High General
Projects :: Battlefront Halation
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1-2-2015
xbox live or psn: none

Post by JimmyAngler »

its where I had put my last pics of it. There are quite a few textures due to my lack of how to put them all into one tga at the time so put 'em all in along with the msh. You will have to make and odf, _exp, and _ord for it but you can copy the one from the com_weap_inf_thermaldetonator files and I kinda like it with the timebomb explosion so you could add that too.
I can't wait to see this completed. Are the troopers just reskinned rebels? or did you model new guys.

P.S. don't forget to credit me. I know it's just one thing but if you release the assets, I don't want people running around with it going "I MADE IT" :)
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Looks pretty good so far, but you have a long way to go if you want something spectacular. ;) A good first step would be to add lighting: http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 06#p494706
zwyx1234
Lance Corporal

Post by zwyx1234 »

@JimmyAngler: I will credit your if I decided to use it. Send me a private message with the download link.

@marth8880: I will add lighting, sure. I even made shadowvolumes for my crates, lol. Thanks for the link to the tutorial for it! :D

EDIT:
I made a 3D art WIP page. Screenshots from ingame will go here, any incremental updates to my 3D models/textures will go in the 3D art thread.
bobfinkl
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Lots of unreleased stuff
Games I'm Playing :: Life

Re: WWI: Death Mountain - WIP [updated 2013/12/13]

Post by bobfinkl »

Tip with the foliage: go into the file that creates it and set colorvariance to 0 to get rid of the odd color schemes that tend to show up sometimes (or something along that order, my memory has faded on the specifics).

Other than that, looks like a pretty well setup map, keep it up!
zwyx1234
Lance Corporal

Re: WWI: Death Mountain - WIP [updated 2014/01/6]

Post by zwyx1234 »

Heres an update for you all. Enjoy!

Changes:
-Added lighting and burned the terrain
-Created a barbed wire model
-Put the Lee Enfield ingame, completed.
-Added snow
-Misc changes.

Screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rze9km37ub16 ... shot01.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvxmo4b2krsfo ... shot03.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5o35rckzvog5 ... shot02.png
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

Looking cool! I suggest reskinning the trenches to better match the terrain color.
zwyx1234
Lance Corporal

Post by zwyx1234 »

I actually plan on replacing the trenches with custom ones. They are place holders for the time being. I do plan on adjusting the layout slightly as well in the near future, so that most of the battles are within trenches and the rest is "no mans land."

EDIT
Sorry to double post, but I have an important update.

The map is currently being worked on, but its being re-done, entirely. The layout that I had didnt play well. So, I am re-doing it with a mixture of forest and houses/destroyed buildings, in addition to more terrain variations. I play on having a section of forest, followed by town. The defending team will spawn in the town, and the attacking team in the forest. Trenches will be added around the edges of the town, and large artillery shell strikes will be added in the forest to act as cover. The end result is should be something that plays better, with the general theme of World War One.

I also plan on only have one unit class, a Rifleman, for both teams. The rifleman's will carry their nations rifles, pistols, and grenades. Everything about the sides will be entirely custom, including all models, sounds, and effects. I may even try my hand at custom animations, since I love creating custom content, im just not good at implementing it into the game.

So there you go, theres my status update. I'll give you guys some visuals of the new buildings later today.