Ultimate Laser Tag

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

LukeBenVader1
Private Recruit
Projects :: Ultimate Laser Tag
Games I'm Playing :: SW Battlefront II
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Ultimate Laser Tag

Post by LukeBenVader1 »

Ever since I went to Lasertron last week, http://www.lasertron.us/, I have been obsessed with Laser Tag.
So now I am working on a BF2 Mod Map that is about just that. I have already finished most units that have
laser guns. I will be working on the arena soon, but I'm still deciding if I should use original objects on BF2
or have somebody model the obstacles seen in Lasertron.
It's going really well, but there are a few problems, like for instance the lasers don't want to fire from the
gun, it just fires from the head or chest of any unit. It won't hit where it is aimed at, it will aim a little bit higher.
If anyone has a solution to these please post below. Despite the problems I think this will be a great map.

Here are a few screens. Like I said I haven't made the arena:
Hidden/Spoiler:
If anyone would like to participate in helping out with this map then feel free to post below.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Ultimate Laser Tag

Post by MileHighGuy »

Yeah you can't change where the lasers come from. It might be possible to move the reticule a little bit higher though.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Instead of using lasers, you could use normal bullets with tracers. Then they would actually come from the gun and you could control how long the lasers stay in the air.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Actually that's where all projectiles come from. The head. It has to do with aiming i think. There was a big topic about trying to change it a while ago.

EDIT: here it is. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25894&hilit=laser+from+head
LukeBenVader1
Private Recruit

Post by LukeBenVader1 »

Alright then, I will use tracers and see if it looks any better. Just one question: how do I make a tracer? Is it the same as the sniper rifle bolts?

Update: The Laser tag arena is to look exactly like the arena seen in Lasertron:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: AotC DoW+++Boonta Eve Classic
Games I'm Playing :: WoT MBWBVC Robocraft

Post by Jaspo »

I used sniper rifle bolts for my lazer tag mod (http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... Tag;111751) ; the only problem is that they can't be seen very well at long range, but in an arena like what you want here, it'd work just fine. Need someone to model it? PM me and I might give it a go. However, it's a bit hard to tell exactly what things should look like judging from those low-res pictures...and I've never played laser tag at this particular place (other places though, and I've actually done work setting up and running a portable version, oddly enough)
...those are just cylindrical barricades? Do some of them have tarps stretched between them?
LukeBenVader1
Private Recruit

Post by LukeBenVader1 »

Here's a few pics of the laser tag arena:
Hidden/Spoiler:
And I also want the gun for the mod map:
Hidden/Spoiler:
It's not supposed to change color like that, it just stays one color.
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Jaspo »

I've created the first barricade! It was a bit tricky getting the height right, but as you can see, it's now the proper height so that the indented part matches the aimer (again, head) height when standing.
pictures:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Wow those barricades look really awesome! Great job.

Can you actually fire lasers through the indentations or is there collision in those places?
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Jaspo »

Model geometry = collision geometry. Orndance will fire through the gap. I do my modeling in blender, which doesn't allow exporting with collision geometry, though I do also have XSI, so I could add it. However, I've never noticed much decrease in performance using the model as collision, but have noticed increased decrease in gameplay quality (think Coruscant) from having collision geometry. So, I tend not to bother with it. In cases in the past where there were problems with the model's collision, I added invisible collision geometry objects (that was before I figured out how to get XSI working.)
LukeBenVader1
Private Recruit

Post by LukeBenVader1 »

Looks great Jaspo! It's exactly what I saw in Lasertron!
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Seeing the picture above makes me really excited to download this! keep up the great work! By any chance do you know when you are going to release this mod map? I understand that the creation will take a while but do you have a specific date?
LukeBenVader1
Private Recruit

Post by LukeBenVader1 »

You know I haven't thought about that yet. I'll have a release date posted once Jaspo finishes up the models for the arena, which would take only about a week.

EDIT: I've found more pics of the barricades in Lasertron:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Jaspo »

Useful stuff. Thanks. Models are coming along nicely, though there's a lot of them, and I'm making most of them in orange, blue, and green variety, so it's three times the work. And now, I can make the recharge stations! That should about do it then...I'm sure there's a barricade design here and there that I won't have included, but I'm providing a nice variety as it is (and they had to be modified a bit to work with the SWBF2 crouch and stand heights anyway)

The poly count is high, hopefully we won't run into lag issues (which would require going back and adding collision geometry to everything)

Most recently, I set up just the arena models to check for collision errors and fortunately found none, and took a screenie while I was at it:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I might have to adjust that glowing wall texture a bit.