Space to Sky to Ground [Official Trailer published]

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Space to Sky to Ground [Official Trailer published]

Post by thelegend »

Space to Sky to Ground

Hello Gametoast,
yes...the name says all. I am working on a mappack (Naboo is already sone) that combines Redlines Space to Ground Maps with mine Sky to Ground Maps.

>>>Here is the first teaser trailer of the Naboo map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUkyKGGFa6Y

All in all the map(s) is/ are divided into three parts: Space, Sky and Ground.
The next maps would be Hoth and Coruscant.
Can't wait to begin with them. But first I might need some tips for this one map.

Note: I would like to add dir lights. The only problem is If I do that the shadow will be glitched, because the 2 sky domes throw a shadow. If there is a way to fix that I would be very thankful.
Last edited by thelegend on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Re: Space to Sky to Ground

Post by commanderawesome »

thelegend wrote:
Space to Sky to Ground

Hello Gametoast,
yes...the name says all. I am working on a mappack (Naboo is already sone) that combines Redlines Space to Ground Maps with mine Sky to Ground Maps.

>>>Here is the first teaser trailer of the Naboo map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUkyKGGFa6Y

All in all the map(s) is/ are divided into three parts: Space, Sky and Ground.
The next maps would be Hoth and Coruscant.
Can't wait to begin with them. But first I might need some tips for this one map.

Note: I would like to add dir lights. The only problem is If I do that the shadow will be glitched, because the 2 sky domes throw a shadow. If there is a way to fix that I would be very thankful.
This looks great, bout in the next mappack can you do planets you haven't done before?

EDIT
Also, can you make these assault mode as opposed to conquest? It would make the space/sky battle more relevant to victory. Just make sure the point limits are really high.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Really awesome concept, but the transition between the two areas is super jarring. If only there was a better way to have layers of cloud cover so that the planet (or space) came into view much slower.
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Teancum wrote:Really awesome concept, but the transition between the two areas is super jarring. If only there was a better way to have layers of cloud cover so that the planet (or space) came into view much slower.
I can look If I can add normal clouds between space and sky. Are they placeable as normal objects?
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

I think what Teancum is saying is that you need a stack of different transparent layers. So, instead of having a dome with a couple of layers, have many nested layers with ranges of transparency, so that the surface and space become visible slowly.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

willinator wrote:I think what Teancum is saying is that you need a stack of different transparent layers. So, instead of having a dome with a couple of layers, have many nested layers with ranges of transparency, so that the surface and space become visible slowly.
Exactly this. Having multiple cloud layers that are semi-transparent models make the planetside "skydome", while the original skydome is for space.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

The "skydome" models that you sent me don't have a shadowvolume. So they shouldn't be throwing a shadow. The only way I can see the skydome casting a shadow is if their .msh.option has -hiresshadow or if when you burned the terrain it burned on a shadow of the skydome for you.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Yeah, to echo a little of what's already been said - I think you made a smart decision in your first handful of space + land battle maps in terms of setting them within a consistent setting. I think you're abandoning your original smart idea in favor of doing something "bigger," which is a little off-the-mark as far as what makes these kinds of maps interesting. In my eyes, the reason people like maps with lots of airspace (e.g. Bespin: Platforms) has little to do with the presentation of the area in which you can fly and everything to do with the variation in experience (i.e. you can run around on a small scale and fly around on a large one).

What you're doing here, on the other hand, is a gimmick. It's one I've never seen executed very well, for a couple of reasons:

1) What Tean and will alluded to - static skies are hard to work around. SWBF2 used them because they were what they needed for what they tried to do, and they worked well. You're going to have to do something very clever to make it approach good-looking, because what sells the effect of transitioning to space is subtle change. Tean made a good suggestion for a method that might work.

2) And the real bugbear of this kind of map (you had this in your other maps too) - unit population. One or both of your land spaces (which exist on the smallest scale) are going to be desolate. Your airspace will be fine, because it's a much larger scale, and even a few AI flyers populate it well. When you provide several points of access for the land-based portion of the map, though (and especially when they exist as "islands" - because the AI sure aren't traveling between them in any quantity), you're talking about a lot of floorspace with very little to fill it with.

That's not to say "don't try it," though, so much as it is to say "take care." You simply blow through these map designs, but there's a point at which it stops being efficiency and starts being haste. I don't mean to say that you can't do a good map quickly, but you definitely can't do a map like this with a goofy (for the engine) high concept quickly and have it turn out very good.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Looks pretty interesting. :o I'd improve upon the planet model and its texture, though. Something to try would be to give the model's material a glow flag and then adjust the texture's alpha channel as such in order to make it glow right. Don't believe it'd look any good? Look at this and say that:
Hidden/Spoiler:
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

For the cloud effect I have an idea: I could add more "outer skydomes" above the inner skydome and this outer models have holes. Or cloud similar areas on the texture. It is possible to add holes to a model (or the texture)? I saw a tutorial but they did it on cloths. The outer skydome slides have a distance of 1.5 metres.

Edit: I added an alpha channel to my outer skydome (planet). In Zero Editor it looks more realistic. I hope in game too. I will test it.

Edit2: Does not work. I think transperency only works with cloths..hm..anyway here is one of my favourite star wars characters. he is playable for the republic:
http://imgur.com/MhF9VhR

Edit3: Here is a preview (or gameplay video) of this one map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTH4l2hFT1I

Suggestions, tips, critics...are welcome.
PRECISION
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Full Sail University
Games I'm Playing :: StarWars Battlefront
xbox live or psn: PREICISON733

Post by PRECISION »

The only thing I can think of adding would be detail all over the map. Looks off seeing a awesome city, then seeing nothing but hills in the distance. Also, maybe a bit more trees out side the city and possibly a nice big river would in the distance to. Or, use the nabbo plains sky dome from battlefront 1. It has water falls and other things that make it nice
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

PRECISION wrote:The only thing I can think of adding would be detail all over the map. Looks off seeing a awesome city, then seeing nothing but hills in the distance. Also, maybe a bit more trees out side the city and possibly a nice big river would in the distance to. Or, use the nabbo plains sky dome from battlefront 1. It has water falls and other things that make it nice
If I add more trees the map might will crash, because of the object limit. And It is not possible to add the plains to my sky (inner) dome. The majority of this building is under my terrain. If I add more clouds to this texture the sky would look very buggy.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

thelegend wrote:Edit2: Does not work. I think transperency only works with cloths..hm..
Nope. Transparency works with almost everything (if not everything). Did you enable the Glow flag in the model's main material? Also, what did it actually look like in-game?
thelegend wrote:If I add more trees the map might will crash, because of the object limit. And It is not possible to add the plains to my sky (inner) dome. The majority of this building is under my terrain. If I add more clouds to this texture the sky would look very buggy.
If you're worried about running over the object limit, you could try clumping a TON of trees (preferably verylow-res) into a few props, and then just place those. Alternatively, you could do what old games had to do when creating forests/jungles in games like Final Fantasy VII, which is create like a sort of large, rectangular cube, and texture it to look like a giant clump of trees. The side polygons would look like a huge, long line of tree trunks and of course the tree branches and whatnot, and the top polygons would be just various shades of green, like looking at the top of a large forest, you know? :o
PRECISION
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by PRECISION »

thelegend wrote:If I add more trees the map might will crash, because of the object limit. And It is not possible to add the plains to my sky (inner) dome. The majority of this building is under my terrain. If I add more clouds to this texture the sky would look very buggy.
If you're worried about running over the object limit, you could try clumping a TON of trees (preferably verylow-res) into a few props, and then just place those. Alternatively, you could do what old games had to do when creating forests/jungles in games like Final Fantasy VII, which is create like a sort of large, rectangular cube, and texture it to look like a giant clump of trees. The side polygons would look like a huge, long line of tree trunks and of course the tree branches and whatnot, and the top polygons would be just various shades of green, like looking at the top of a large forest, you know? :o[/quote]
Yes thats a good way of doing it. Maybe using a billboard effect? I have used that in the unity engine but im not sure its in the zero editor
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

I think It would look ok...the only problem is I can not create models for Battlefront. The 2 domes are made by AceMastermind.
Marth8880 wrote:Nope. Transparency works with almost everything (if not everything). Did you enable the Glow flag in the model's main material? Also, what did it actually look like in-game?
My transperency was very low. You should be able to see the green plains from the space. But in-game you can not see the green plains. Only a big, white area (the planet area).
PRECISION
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by PRECISION »

Does zero editor have a bill broad effect?
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

PRECISION wrote:Does zero editor have a bill broad effect?
I don't know.
PRECISION
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by PRECISION »

thelegend wrote:
PRECISION wrote:Does zero editor have a bill broad effect?
I don't know.
You should look. The bill broad effect makes objects (in your case trees) a "bill broad" at a distance. The closer you get, the trees become the 3d object that they are meant to be. It help with view distance frame rate drops as well, making the trees use up less memory until you get close to them. BF2 stock plants have a bill broad effect, cause the plants to be 2d, but they spin with your camera so they look 3d.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

you mean "billboard". I think that is with particle effects and grass/leaves only. I have never seen it otherwise.
PRECISION
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by PRECISION »

MileHighGuy wrote:you mean "billboard". I think that is with particle effects and grass/leaves only. I have never seen it otherwise.
lol yup thats what I mean :P I would never know because I dont even know how to use the zero editor