Sol Map Pack

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Re: Sol Map Pack

Post by Kingpin »

Wow! Nice work!
Hidden/Spoiler:
May I ask how you made the Shadow Guard, with the realistic armor?
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

This is looking fantastic AQT! As for suggesting an idea to add on to this already great map, maybe add more asteroids in the surrounding area to make the map feel more like a planet, the screenshots are GREAT but I noticed the lack of asteroids throughout my journey. Maybe change the color of the sky to a darker color, after all it is space we are talking about right?
GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by GAB »

A suggestion of mine would be changing the color of the cyan rims on the top of those light towers in the first screenshot. Right now they look too much like the ones on the kashyyyk light pillar. Maybe making them redish would look cool but it really is up to you guys. Nice work so far.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

thelegend wrote:That looks really nice. I still haven't got suggestions but maybe a red sandstorm. And the sky atmosphere is maybe to clear. There is more dirt in sky on Mars. The other thing is the sun. The mars is a few miles away from the earth. It should be a little bit smaller.
Thanks! There are already some red sand/dust effects going on in the map, especially on the outskirts of the compound. You can kind of see it in this screenshot:
Hidden/Spoiler:
They're actually somewhat dropping the frame rate a bit even on the lower settings, so a sandstorm might overdo it. But we'll see. As for the sky, it was Marth's original sky, and I thought it might've been too plain at first too. But upon looking at pictures of the Martian surface, the sky was surprisingly just as plain! And okay, the sun is now two-thirds of its original size.
Kingpin wrote:Wow! Nice work! May I ask how you made the Shadow Guard, with the realistic armor?
Thanks! It was a bit complicated, but I essentially put the Shadow Guard together via some crazy hex editing surgery. The body is that of the model called rebelnew.msh found in Old Models Pack here, and the head is from the Royal Guard here.
MikeTheBeast55 wrote:As for suggesting an idea to add on to this already great map, maybe add more asteroids in the surrounding area to make the map feel more like a planet, the screenshots are GREAT but I noticed the lack of asteroids throughout my journey. Maybe change the color of the sky to a darker color, after all it is space we are talking about right?
Thank you! Well, this is what Mars is supposed to look like:
Hidden/Spoiler:
It has an atmosphere, so it's not completely exposed to the vacuum of space like the moon. And by asteroids, do you just mean some huge rocks laying around on the ground or floating in the sky? :o
GAB wrote:A suggestion of mine would be changing the color of the cyan rims on the top of those light towers in the first screenshot. Right now they look too much like the ones on the kashyyyk light pillar. Maybe making them redish would look cool but it really is up to you guys. Nice work so far.
Ah, well, the blue color is supposed to match the blue I used on Venus, as seen here:
Hidden/Spoiler:
The idea is that NASA likes to reuse parts/structures to save money. Glad you like the look of map, though.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

MikeTheBeast55 wrote:As for suggesting an idea to add on to this already great map, maybe add more asteroids in the surrounding area to make the map feel more like a planet, the screenshots are GREAT but I noticed the lack of asteroids throughout my journey. Maybe change the color of the sky to a darker color, after all it is space we are talking about right?
Regarding asteroids, Mars doesn't really have asteroids close to it, or at least not any that are close enough to be able to be seen from the planet's surface. Those two large rocks you see in the sky are Deimos and Phobos, which are Mars' moons, not asteroids. Regarding the brightness of the atmosphere, no, this is not space, it's a planet. If anything, the sky should be *brighter*, not darker. With that said, I prefer it and love it how it is currently and I have no plans to change it. Even though it's not the correct color, I like it and, well, artistic license is a thing, so. :p
Hidden/Spoiler:
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Hidden/Spoiler:
That head piece is really awkward; I'm sure you could do a bit better, even with hexediting. Take your piece, split it into two, and envelop the upper half to bone_head and the lower to bone_ribcage (or bone_neck, whichever ends up working better).
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

The moon deimos may shoud be a bit, just a bit smaller because its farer away from mars.
Here a size comparison:
Hidden/Spoiler:
As you can see here and in game the size is the same, but the orbits of both moons are different. As seen here:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Random pretty "tech"/teaser screenshot: Mars' terrain color map!
Hidden/Spoiler:
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Woah. That looks cool. Glad to see some *hopefully* custom sounds! :P
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

*Definitely* custom sounds. ;)

In case you haven't noticed, sound design is sorta my thing. ;0
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Good ol' Amy Poehler. :lol:

Mars minimap! :) Credit to AQT.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Phobos and Deimos! :D Their orientation and scale have been fixed.

Image credit to NASA.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Carl Sagan memorial CP. :)
Hidden/Spoiler:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I'm gonna be that guy. Deimos and Phobos aren't nearly that big or visible. Phobos, the larger of the two, is like 157 times smaller than Luna, and orbits about 9 times farther from Mars than Luna does to Earth.

In other words, they are barely visible from Mars.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

"Artistic license, *****!" -Jesse Pinkman ;p
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Nice! The minimap is looking sharp!
Hidden/Spoiler:
Too bad my minimaps still look like this :funny2:
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Teaser images for Pioneer Trails. ;) Look at the horizon!
Hidden/Spoiler:
Can anyone name the city, mountain range and volcano? :o (Hint: They're the names of real Earth locations/landmarks.)
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

It looks nice, but personally, the city removes the feel of being in the mountains in a forest, at least to me.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

It's actually supposed to be in a neighborhood near one of the U.S.'s largest port cities, but I really don't feel like modeling an entire neighborhood. :P
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Hm..the background looks awesome. I think it is seattle or Toronto. Both cities have these tall "television towers"? I am sorry but I don't know the right name of these towers.
And I think the mountains are located in North America. But I don't know where exactly.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

thelegend wrote:Hm..the background looks awesome. I think it is seattle or Toronto. Both cities have these tall "television towers"? I am sorry but I don't know the right name of these towers.
Seattle is correct! The tower you're talking about is the Space Needle. :)
thelegend wrote:And I think the mountains are located in North America. But I don't know where exactly.
Correct! Another hint: the mountain range is located in the United States northwest region.