Assassination Game Mode WIP (UPDATE 28-APR-2015)

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Assassination Game Mode WIP (UPDATE 28-APR-2015)

Post by jedimoose32 »

ASSASSINATION
A new Game Mode by Jedimoose32

Over the past few weeks I've been putting together a new game mode for Battlefront 2 called Assassination. In some ways it is similar to what Noobasaurus did with City Watch. In fact, some very small sections of the code are loosely based on the Kill The Target example code.
In-game screenshots are near the bottom. They aren't very good because you can't really show the gameplay in pictures.

HUD and Effects Proof of Concept Video is HERE! (Apr 28)

Dev Blog #2 is HERE! (Apr 1)

Dev Blog #1 is HERE! (Mar 26)

INTRO VIDEO: HERE

Project Website: FIAT LUX STUDIOS
Please note: The mode's source code is available for viewing and download
at the above link. I ask that you do not distribute or modify the code, or use it in any
of your own content, until I make the official release. EDIT 05JUL2015: Feel free to use
as you see fit, provided you give me credit for my work.
You are welcome to ask questions
or post suggestions if you see anything you like or dislike in the code.

Gameplay Description:
Hidden/Spoiler:
The game mode borrows gameplay elements primarily from the Assassin's Creed, Payday, Grand Theft Auto, and Splinter Cell franchises.

Assassination mode pits one player, the Assassin, against a large, heavily-armed Police force. The Assassin's objective is to locate a number of Targets and eliminate them without drawing attention to themselves. The Targets are neutral units - they wander around the map, blissfully unaware of their imminent demise. In order to make the Targets more difficult to locate, and to create a more fun and believable environment, the map is filled with Civilians - friendly units who wander and occasionally gather in small groups. Civilians serve several purposes: they can become meat shields for the Assassin during a heated firefight, they provide shelter for the Targets, and they can be accidentally killed by the Assassin, which invokes a point penalty and, once a certain number of them have died, defeat for the Assassin!

Everyone starts out friendly to the Assassin - however, once he hurts anyone, the Police will become aggressive toward him and the Targets will try to hide. The Assassin must then try to escape the Police. If he evades them for a certain period of time, then he will become anonymous again (Civilians will resume their wandering and Police will go back to patrolling). However, if the Assassin remains detected by the Police for too long, the Police will call in more powerful reinforcements. Once all Targets have been eliminated, the Assassin must reach the extraction point. If he is able to get there in one piece, he wins the game!

By a Modder, for Modders:
I would have had the coding 100% finished by the end of last week, but at that point it was basically a bunch of functions and callbacks jammed into the ScriptPostLoad of my test map, and was quite unwieldy. So I spent these past few days making it into its own separate game mode .lua that can be loaded by mission.req out of the Common/scripts folder of any mod map. The intent here is to make it very easy for other modders to implement the game mode in their own maps. Rather than having to copy/paste the code into their map and then tweak dozens of lines of code to configure things to suit their needs, one can simply load the mode into their script the same way Conquest or CTF modes are loaded - and settings can easily be configured with just a handful of lines!

Future Plans:
- Create a demo map to showcase the game mode and highlight its awesomeness - 15% DONE
- Co-op for online play
- The longer you are detected, guards become more difficult to kill and deal more damage - ADDED!

Current Progress:
As of April 1, 2015, the game mode is pretty much finished. I am still waiting to hear back from my testers to see if there are any major flaws that I've overlooked. The next step from here is for me to create the demo map that will ship with the first fully armed and operational release of this mod!
Testers: 3/3

Credits:
- As previously mentioned, the project started as a slight modification of Noobasaurus's Kill The Target code and rapidly became its own thing entirely, but I definitely owe much credit to him for giving me the idea and something to start with that wasn't a blank document.
- [RDH]Zerted has helped me with a ton of Lua stuff, and I'm sure there will be much more that I will need to run by him...
- Archer01's AI Hero Support code was a great help as I figured out how to structure my own code.
- Blue Stahli and Nexus Music (background tracks for example map)
Last edited by jedimoose32 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Assassination Game Mode WIP

Post by Marth8880 »

Sounds very interesting, jedimoose! :thumbs:
jedimoose32 wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Screenshot 1, as required by the WIP section rules...
Is that Visual Studio? :o If so, what plugin/extension are you using to make it so it highlights Lua syntax and whatnot?
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Thanks!

It's Eclipse - Lua Development Tools (LDT). <-link
I'm using the dark theme that comes with it... easier on the eyes and makes the syntax colouring stand out! :)
The only possible concern is that it uses Lua 5.2, which is different than BF2's version of Lua (IIRC), but I personally have yet to run into any issues related to the language version.
Sandtrooper956
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Just some little things
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and EAW
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Sandtrooper956 »

This looks interesting, can't wait to see more! Good job and luck!
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Awesome! I love new gamemodes like this. I'm available to test if you need me. I might be able to test online with my friend as well.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Perfect, I'll PM you a download link tomorrow. I just have a little bit of bug fixing I want to do first. And just remember it's SP only for now. Co-op will be a later addition.

EDIT: Video link added to original post! Enjoy!
hunpeter12
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Underground City The Complex [WIP]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: Assassination Game Mode WIP (UPDATE 19-Mar-2015)

Post by hunpeter12 »

Awesome! Just think about how awesome this would be in an "open world" SWBF2 enviroment with a whole city! (Like the_legend's GTA map) I'd also love to test it out!
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

That's definitely what I envisioned when I had the idea, but as I mentioned, I'm making the mode very easy to integrate so that anyone in the community can very easily add it to their map. So maybe legend will decide to add this to his GTA map! :)
Edit: And yeah, I'll PM you about testing a bit later this afternoon
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by razac920 »

Looks very cool! I had thought about trying something like that once, but never got around to it, glad to see you did! I'd be happy to test. Also, if you'd like, I could also try to help with any kind of coding/bug fixes too.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Re: Assassination Game Mode WIP (UPDATE 01-APR-2015)

Post by jedimoose32 »

Modified the original post with Dev Blog links, progress updates as of April 1st, and a link to my project website (which will also be used for other BF2 projects in the future). Let me know what you guys think!
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Dang, over 1000 lines of code! And it's all super neat and organized as an actual gamemode, too! Truly phenomenal work! And here I am, fiddling around with my code, trying to make it half readable.

I'll get in a report in a day or so.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

I had forgotten to share the tech demo of my HUD system and guard alertness markers! Updated the original post with a link to that video. New dev blog coming soon!