Ustigua: Winter City

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

rc1207sev
Private Second Class
Projects :: SWRC Capital Supremacy
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF-SWBF2-SWRC
xbox live or psn: DolphinRepublic

Ustigua: Winter City

Post by rc1207sev »

First, here's a download of the "rough" version. Ustigua: Winter City is a map based around a small village in a remote, snowy planet in the outer rim. The idea is that the droids have just landed on the planet, and have set up a base. The clones, are settled in a tunnel, which I hope to be a future complex tunnel system.

Work already done:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Galactic Marine and 501st Sides (could use improvement)
Basic map layout (could use expansion)
A playable CTF Mode
Basic Planning (no barriers or hintnodes)
Locals (Wampas spawning in every direction slaughtering everyone)
Water!
Snow effects
Things needing improvement:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Yavin Sky!!!!
Expansion of map (like I said, tunnel system)
ARC trooper MSH for Fives (needs to be rigged)
Advanced planning (hintnodes, barriers, etc)
Lighting (duh)
Retexturing of some object meshes
CTF Mode (maybe an underground arena as part of the tunnel sysem, and in that case, new object meshes)
And a clean-up on the sides (some textures are real ugly)
Screenies!
Hidden/Spoiler:
I don't know what other things it could improve on. Any ideas?
Last edited by rc1207sev on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Re: Ustigua: Winter City

Post by jedimoose32 »

Looks like a good start! :D I will download the rough version later, but for now based on the screenshots I have a few suggestions:
- Lighting: Looks dim and grey outside. Did you change/add any directional lights or change the top/bottom ambient lights in ZE? I know you haven't changed the sky yet so you may want to wait until after you know what that will look like, but I think it's still something that could be improved at some point.
- Map Layout: I see a lot of neat props from some of my favourite maps, and I see some terrain. But I don't see the glue that holds it all together... which is a solid map design. What I mean is that there should be plenty of objects/hills/cliffs/water that guide the player's movement and attention to help him/her focus on where he/she needs to go. To put it as simply as possible, it's very flat and open right now.

Those are the main things that stand out to me. I could be very wrong about both, because all I have right now is some screenshots. I will play it and get back to you. :)
Keep up the good work.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

I tried out your current build, and it *looks* like a decent start but the gameplay leaves much to be desired. Your map name says "Winter City." I see a whole lot of "Winter" but not a whole lot of "City." :runaway:

What's missing (Moose covered a lot of this pretty well already):
- Lighting. Easy temporary (at the very least) solution to this is to replace the contents of your map's main LGT file with the contents of Hoth's main LGT file. Then, load your map in ZE with Build Object Collision checked and burn your terrain: viewtopic.php?p=494706#
- A decent sky. The sky from Hoth, Mygeeto, or even Rhen Var should do fine in my opinion.
- Props! There's almost none of them, especially not enough to support the "city" theme, because right now it feels more like an outpost or a very small village than a city. :o
- An ambient sound stream, i.e., the sound of ambient, light wind in this map's case. These are super-easy to implement (especially if you use a stock one) and I can help you with it if you need.
- A decent map layout. Ditch the diamond-layout for your CP placements and get creative with it! (But hey, at least you didn't keep the perfect diamond-shape like many maps do, lol.)

Notes:
- Personally, I think you should either ditch the Wampas or severely decrease the amount of them, because right now they only really serve as an annoyance to the player.
- I recommend that you take a look at my level design checklist if you haven't already: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31078 :)
Sandtrooper956
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Just some little things
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and EAW
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Sandtrooper956 »

This might not be something you can control, but having the unofficial 1.3 patch installed makes the first Marine unit the Clone Commander from the patch. The second ones though is right, so maybe doing some little edits to the first one would fix that? And i'm pretty sure Tup only has one tear, not two. This is looking great so far though!
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

Even so, it looks like he's doing custom sides, so the 1.3 patch will have no effect on the way his units look.
Sandtrooper956
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Sandtrooper956 »

Yeah, I know that. I'm saying he might wanna take into consideration some of us do. His mod though, so his choice. :D
rc1207sev
Private Second Class

Post by rc1207sev »

Sandtrooper956 wrote:This might not be something you can control, but having the unofficial 1.3 patch installed makes the first Marine unit the Clone Commander from the patch.
I actually do have the 1.3 patch, but I have custom sides, "snowClones_inf_galmarine" and "snowClones_inf_galcommando"
Sandtrooper956 wrote:And i'm pretty sure Tup only has one tear, not two
I can't really control that, because the UV mapping on the clone has the helmet and other textures mirrored, so I can't do much about that
Marth8880 wrote:- Lighting. Easy temporary (at the very least) solution to this is to replace the contents of your map's main LGT file with the contents of Hoth's main LGT file. Then, load your map in ZE with Build Object Collision checked and burn your terrain: viewtopic.php?p=494706#
- A decent sky. The sky from Hoth, Mygeeto, or even Rhen Var should do fine in my opinion.
- Props! There's almost none of them, especially not enough to support the "city" theme, because right now it feels more like an outpost or a very small village than a city. :o
- An ambient sound stream, i.e., the sound of ambient, light wind in this map's case. These are super-easy to implement (especially if you use a stock one) and I can help you with it if you need.
- A decent map layout. Ditch the diamond-layout for your CP placements and get creative with it! (But hey, at least you didn't keep the perfect diamond-shape like many maps do, lol.)
-Lighting: I'm planning to fix the lighting once I have a better map layout, and as well as the sky
-Props: I'm finding and retexturing some props from Cloud City so a team could obtain an aerial advantage.
-Sound Stream: I actually don't know how to do that, I can look up some tutorials or maybe someone could direct me to one(I'm terrible using search engines)

EDIT: Some other notes, I did ditch the wampas and replaced them with rebel retextures which are supposed to be Ustigua Resistance Fighters, with RogueKnight's DP-23 Tactical shotgun as the "Elites" main weapon.
Also, I realized my water is contrasting with the winter theme I'm going for, so I'll change the Kashyyyk water bumpmaps to fix that(which is what I used)
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

rc1207sev wrote:-Sound Stream: I actually don't know how to do that, I can look up some tutorials or maybe someone could direct me to one(I'm terrible using search engines)
http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31166 ;)
rc1207sev
Private Second Class

Post by rc1207sev »

I think I'l just load the sound from hoth, but I'm running Windows 7, so I have to disable sound if I even want BF2 to work. I think I'll re-upload some of my progress and I hope someone can tell me if it works.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Instead of disabling sound altogether to get SWBF2 working, try going into your settings and changing your audio quality to this.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Don't forget those opening satellite shots! They add just a little bit more flavor to your map.
rc1207sev
Private Second Class

Post by rc1207sev »

Noobasaurus wrote:Don't forget those opening satellite shots!
You mean loadscreens?

Oh I've got the DL link so if anyone could please see if the Hoth music loaded.
Clicky

EDIT: Sorry Marth I didn't see your audio quality change. Hang on
EDIT2: 3 things:
Thanks Marth I can run BF2 with sound now (Yay!!!!)
the music didn't load (urgh)
and some sfx from clones/droids firing weren't playing (didn't notice that)
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

rc1207sev wrote:You mean loadscreens?
He means the opening satellite shots, i.e. the camera positions that are shown in-game in the faction selection and unit spawn screens.

http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12742
Sandtrooper956
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Sandtrooper956 »

I didn't hear any music while playing. And it feels like the CIS has a big advantage being able to get most of the CPs from the start, but i'm sure you are working on that.
rc1207sev
Private Second Class

Post by rc1207sev »

For some reason, I have the disk in my drive, and it says insert CD 1, and then when I try it on my external drive, I get the same thing
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Find the file "BattlefrontII.exe" in Gamedata. Run that. No need for a CD.
rc1207sev
Private Second Class

Post by rc1207sev »

Noobasaurus wrote:No need for a CD.
I just used the "Safe Mode". Also, I meant that I couldn't run BF2_modtools.exe to get opening satellite shots

EDIT:Well, whoever said the patch would change the .msh for my galactic marine, they were right
Hidden/Spoiler:
Last edited by rc1207sev on Sun May 03, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Are you still unable to run it? If so, check out question #4 from the FAQ.
rc1207sev
Private Second Class

Post by rc1207sev »

Noobasaurus wrote:question #4 from the FAQ.
Uh, where exactly is the FAQ?
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13806

SWBF2 Modding -> The FAQ / Everything You Need Thread Version 3.0 (about the 5th one down)