Regit Lu: Mountains (or Valley) (WIP)

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

Sandtrooper956
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Just some little things
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and EAW
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Regit Lu: Mountains (or Valley) (WIP)

Post by Sandtrooper956 »

Hey everyone, thanks for taking a few minutes to view my first map. As I said, this is my first actual map for SWBF2, so hopefully it's obvious there are gonna be a lot of problems with this, and i'll end up having some questions.

So when I started this map, I didn't know much about how to move Command Posts and how to make new ones. I have since learned how to do that. So the progress I have so far has the map in pretty basic command post layout. I am going to add some more valleys into the map eventually, with new Command Posts. Here is the map:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Base 1 is where the Wampas spawn. I'm not sure why I didn't just make that an invisible CP, I will later.

The map may look like it is sorta lacking props, which it is, but it isn't that bad in game. And don't worry, only 5 Wampas spawn at a time, and their base is sorta off to the side. They don't end up controlling the battle (but still add some fun). Here are some screenshots:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I will upload some more screenshots later, as it's late currently.

I know there is still so much I have to do. Some obvious things I should do are things like change the sky, smooth out the hills, and fix the Wampa CP. So please don't be to hard on me, and i'll say it again, this is my first map. The only reason i'm even posting it here is because I might as well, right? :D

But any feedback is WELCOME, I want it. It's the only way to ever become a decent modder. All modders must of started with some sort of crappy map right? :D I really hope this project will help me learn more than the load I have already learned.

If you wanna give it a try, to give me some feedback, just PM me.

Things to do:
LOCALIZE: Still not really sure at all how to do this, i'll get it though eventually.
SKY: That dumb old default sky really makes the map look newbie, doesn't it?
TERRAIN: I suck with the terrain tools, but i'm working on it. Right now it's very blocky in some areas.
MORE VALLEYS: I want to add some more valleys into the map, and have them connect.
COMMAND POSTS: Really easy, but gotta add some places to put them first.

And finally, the credits. I got everything I am using in this map in the asset release thread here on Gametoast, or on Filefront. (I'm not a stealer!) 8) Now finally, here are the credits:

MandeRek: Plo Koon
EGG_GUTS: OOM-9
WideBoy: Bunker
Skammer_216: Commander Jait, EMP Grenade, and Sonic Grenade
kinetosimpetus: Flechette Launcher
jedimoose32 and anthonybf2: Being extremely friendly and helpful through me being a noob :mrgreen:

Expect some more updates soon!
hunpeter12
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Underground City The Complex [WIP]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: Regit Lu: Mountains (or Valley) (WIP)

Post by hunpeter12 »

Looks like a good start, but as you said, it is quite open. For the terrain I suggest using the blend tool and experimenting with different brush types. Some props would be nice e.g. rocks, piles of snow, equipment etc. You should make the map visually more interesting, not just by changing the sky, but the lighting, weather effects etc. I think you could also try to make the buildings look a bit less like some random props in the middle of a field. (BTW localizing is one of the easiest things.)
Sandtrooper956
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Just some little things
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and EAW

Post by Sandtrooper956 »

hunpeter12 wrote:Looks like a good start, but as you said, it is quite open. For the terrain I suggest using the blend tool and experimenting with different brush types. Some props would be nice e.g. rocks, piles of snow, equipment etc. You should make the map visually more interesting, not just by changing the sky, but the lighting, weather effects etc. I think you could also try to make the buildings look a bit less like some random props in the middle of a field. (BTW localizing is one of the easiest things.)
Okay, thanks! I will try to add more to the buildings and add some significance to them. And I have been messing around with the blend tool and stuff.
atm101010
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 JKA EAW

Post by atm101010 »

Did you do this by yourself?