Vehicle Mode v0.6 [Update 5/16 screenshots]

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Re: Vehicle Mode v0.6 [Update 5/16/15]

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

This mod does look good so far Razac and I see you are using mostly the vehicles that the game comes with so that leaves me with two questions. One: Will you be making any custom vehicles of any type and if so what were you planning on doing? This second question is about the map in general. What were you planning to put on this map to make it feel like a vehicle map? Putting some buildings around to take cover, put a ground to make the map more appealing? I am just a curious individual is all, but this looks like something I will thoroughly enjoy maybe even love if I play it enough.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by razac920 »

Locutus wrote:Mhh, the map crashes for me right after the loading bar is full:/ (both modes)
Do you happen to have any custom republic or CIS sides installed? That might cause a crash.
MikeTheBeast55 wrote:This mod does look good so far Razac and I see you are using mostly the vehicles that the game comes with so that leaves me with two questions. One: Will you be making any custom vehicles of any type and if so what were you planning on doing? This second question is about the map in general. What were you planning to put on this map to make it feel like a vehicle map? Putting some buildings around to take cover, put a ground to make the map more appealing? I am just a curious individual is all, but this looks like something I will thoroughly enjoy maybe even love if I play it enough.
Nope, I don't plan on making any custom vehicles; I have no idea how to do that, I'm only just learning how to use the modeling tools at all. You are playing the updated version on the Geonosis map, right? I haven't gotten around to updating the screenshots yet. The Geonosis map already has some buildings, ground etc. I'm not really planning to go overboard with this, just demonstrate that it works on a nice test map with a particular set of vehicles, and then show map makers how to include it on their maps if they want.
Iamstuoid
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: Maps for Vehicle Assualt
Games I'm Playing :: All the SWBFs

Post by Iamstuoid »

I love whatyou've done with the map! :thumbs:

Heres some screenies: https://www.mediafire.com/?kvzdsq5hw5tr3os

Heres some advice on losing some of the lag: Remove the Forward Command Center from Zedit as it causes script errors, Remove some of the fog and cloud however keep most of it as it brings effect to the map, Fix the Fed Coreship in the map (the .odf) as it is creating script errors, doesn't appear and I don't want it removed. This gamemode is awsomer, if you need any more maps I can design them, I'll find my problem with V-Munge.

BUGS:
AI leave vehicles to capture cps.
Ai get distracted and shoot Technounion ships, nothing wrong there, maybe remove 2 or 3.
Don't think your smart and fly thru the spire as there is NO interior :funny2: People do this, probs. :thumbs:

I'm just glad to see my map used and how this mod is turning out!
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I tried to try next version but the lag is horrific. I get about 30fps in all maps, but this was unbearable.
I put LOD and view distance on 0 and I still could barely unpause, I'm not trying to be rude but some people can't help having potatoes :wink:
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Had you played the previous version? Is this map specific? Or just due to all the vehicles?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Version 0.5 (in the hole) worked perfectly fine. It's just all the dust. Dust hurts bad, I had to remove it from many of the stock maps to enjoy those as well.

The only way I can move around in this current map version is walking on foot looking down so the computer doesn't have to render as much. If you can tell me the name of the dust object I can just hex edit them out of my own copy and there won't be any need for another update soon. :lol:
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Okay, then perhaps it is just the dust that causes the CTD, not the vehicle/bot count. That would be a big relief.

No need for your own copy, I'll roll out an update ASAP.

Iamstuoid, can you just make the fixes you want (and remove/reduce the dust) in my latest version, and upload the changes back to me?

Here is the VH1 map zip file: link

EDIT: Okay, in the interest of time and testing I quickly released an update that completely removes the dust, clouds, and mist, and I'm happy to report I haven't seen any CTDs when playing with 32 bots! :D I might like to have a bit of dust later, but I'll sort out the details later, for now you can actually play a full game of vehicle conquest, so give it a shot and let me know what you think!

EDIT2: Locutus, can you try it again? I added the stock skins for the engineers, so anyone with customs sides should be able to play (although maybe there could still be some issues if the vehicles are also custom, more than just reskinned but have different weapons, etc.)

EDIT3: Also, I updated the screenshots to reflect the new map and vehicles.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Vehicle Mode v0.6 [Update 5/16 screenshots]

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

We so need a starfighter version of this!
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I tried it now and the Geonosis map is pretty cool but I think there can be some hills and terrain.
Also it crashed randomly, not sure how; I was an AAT, with a gunner I picked up along the way who was just glaring at a wall. I was trying to kill the little disc looking clone speeder and it just crashed.

I also feel like some tanks like the AT OT are useless (not a useless invention) but they are slow so they can't really fend off agile tanks like AAT.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:We so need a starfighter version of this!
What do you mean by that? What exactly is missing from Space Assault, where everyone has to use vehicles to go outside and fight already?
anthonybf2 wrote:I tried it now and the Geonosis map is pretty cool but I think there can be some hills and terrain.
Also it crashed randomly, not sure how; I was an AAT, with a gunner I picked up along the way who was just glaring at a wall. I was trying to kill the little disc looking clone speeder and it just crashed.

I also feel like some tanks like the AT OT are useless (not a useless invention) but they are slow so they can't really fend off agile tanks like AAT.
I could add some height variation, this is just a demonstration map, the plan is to show that it works and teach people how to add these modes to their own maps, with whatever vehicle list they want.
As for the crash, it was random? You don't think you did anything that could have triggered it? Maybe it was a memory issue: how many bots were you playing with?
As for the vehicle list, I thought there might be too much, and am looking for feedback about what vehicles to keep and which to cut. I only want it to be balanced.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I played again as cis with the AAT but the game crashed randomly while I was sitting still doing nothing in the tank. I think some where something makes it crash when a certain vehicle dies. I'll play it on the debugger later and see if I can get an error.
Iamstuoid
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: Maps for Vehicle Assualt
Games I'm Playing :: All the SWBFs

Post by Iamstuoid »

We so need a starfighter version of this!
I agree, however it would be basically be Space Assault. But the idea should be put into the mod, (Sides should be different for each map.) I can make awesome maps for this gamemode aswell.
I tried it now and the Geonosis map is pretty cool but I think there can be some hills and terrain
The reason you spawn under terrain is because how close the CP is to either: The Acclamator, The Mountain Barriers or Objects. I fear raising terrain may mess spawning more! :|
Iamstuoid, can you just make the fixes you want (and remove/reduce the dust) in my latest version, and upload the changes back to me?
Here's the edited version: https://www.mediafire.com/?n4yet7d1x86a4eh
Just need to munge again.
FIXES:
-Removed buggy objects, Don't know if you deleted it but, return of the Fedcoreship... (FIXED ODF AND NO ERRORS I THINK), Removed some fog., Made some hills. :thumbs:

In my opinion the Vehicle CTF isn't suitable for this map still, so if needed I have a CTF style, not as open map, However on this map you need to put an AI limit on 16 or below. That may fix some lag.

-I'm missing the Config Munge file, (So it can't munge spawn paths and regions!)
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I wouldn't really worry about CTF, I don't think vehicles can get flags. It works for some strange reason on Naboo and Yavin with the AAC-1 but that's it, I don't think it's possible in any other instance. The guy who was working on the Tron mod had the same issue.
Locutus
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Stargate Battlefront Pegasus

Post by Locutus »

The new version worked for me:)
I'm not sure why, though, because I don't have any side mods running (even my own maps use stock sides).
The map works really well and it's really cool to see vehicle mode in action! :D

A few suggestions:
- Create a new mode icon for the shell - I have no idea what the current one is supposed to represent:p
- Prevent players and AI from leaving the vehicles. Maybe sth. like while true do if not GetCharacterVehicle(character) then KillObject(character) end. Or even store the information about the vehicle the player entered and force him back in?
- Even when just promoted as proof of concept I think you should polish the map a little;)
- I didn't experience any spawn below the terrain but I'm wondering how that can happen? Are you not moving the player in the vehicle the moment he spawns?

@anthonybf2: The reason for that is that vehicles need to have their collision mesh properly named (with the "f" suffix I think) so it accounts for flags as well.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="Locutus"]The new version worked for me:)
I'm not sure why, though, because I don't have any side mods running (even my own maps use stock sides).
The map works really well and it's really cool to see vehicle mode in action! :D

A few suggestions:
- Create a new mode icon for the shell - I have no idea what the current one is supposed to represent:p
- Prevent players and AI from leaving the vehicles. Maybe sth. like while true do if not GetCharacterVehicle(character) then KillObject(character) end. Or even store the information about the vehicle the player entered and force him back in?
- Even when just promoted as proof of concept I think you should polish the map a little;)
- I didn't experience any spawn below the terrain but I'm wondering how that can happen? Are you not moving the player in the vehicle the moment he spawns?

@anthonybf2: The reason for that is that vehicles need to have their collision mesh properly named (with the "f" suffix I think) so it accounts for flags as well.[/quote]
I don't mean to hijack the topic but more details on that flags/vehicle comment would be nice. I have use for it outside of this mod. :bowdown:

Razac:
Would you consider adding tank powerup droids to this level?
It's the one in common odfs named com_item_vehiclerecharge, but if you do I would advise to set the range for each one above the default 5.0 because tanks are big and clunky and some times can't reach the droid due to their collision.
Locutus
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Stargate Battlefront Pegasus

Post by Locutus »

@anthonybf2: Take a look at this post:)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Been meaning to comment on this. It's an awesome concept. If I ever get back to the Xbox mod I'll try to implement it. Also, an easy way to force units to stay in the vehicles is to assign each unit an ID, and when they enter the vehicle, assign that vehicle the same ID. If they aren't in the vehicle, have them re-enter the same vehicle based on their ID. If you loop it should be nearly instantaneous, meaning the player won't even really notice they left.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I played again until it crashed and got the error log which may be a bit large, 500KB so I uploaded it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c3m8y ... Errors.log
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

The reason the older vehicle mode attempts didn't go anywhere was because we can't force spawn vehicles. When you do, most of their weapons don't work.

Instead of killing someone when they attempt to spawn without a vehicle, have you tried dynamically upping the point to unlock on all unavailable vehicles?

Another option that may or may not be correct, do units existing a vehicle trigger an OnEnterRegion event if they do so within a region? If not, then the player loop other people suggested is probably your best bet. Or maybe a damage region across the whole map that doesn't affect vehicles (this won't work if you're trying to make a general Vehicle game mode that works on any unmodified map).